Another 'Davidson' for Bill....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This one on ebay went up to 19.50 and din;t know how much higher the other guy would go so I pulled out. The one in the link above is 14.50 BP, so the 19.50 wasn't all that bad. Bugger.

Bill, if you can't find a Hobbycraft kit, or the expensive Hasegawa kit, then Revell did one, ex-Hasegawa, but around half the price. There's also the old Monogram kit, which, although basic, is not bad overall, and wide open to scratch-building detail. It's the one I used for the Bob Cross Hurricane build. This can be found for a quite low price, normally around £8 or £9 in the UK.

Do you have this one Bill?

max_l_bedell_rainbow_corner_s_zps0a2bbdee.jpg

The crew and the Rainbow Corner II, Left to Right:
Sgt. George Wells (Radioman-Waist Gunner) Sgt. Jesse Harper (Flight Engineer) Sgt. Chalmer Johnson (Tail Gunner) 2nd Lt. Ellis Davidson (pilot, transferred 3/44) 2nd Lt. Clyde Loomis (Bombardier - Navigator), 2nd Lt. Max Bedell (Co-Pilot, Pilot from 3/44) 2nd Lt. Jimmie DeLoach, not pictured (co-pilot 3/44)

max_l_bedell_crew_s_zps88927620.jpg

Last edited:
How about this one then? ;)

air_liberator11.jpg

WASP pilots Eloise Huffines Bailey, Millie Davidson Dalrymple, Elizabeth McKethan Magid, and Clara Jo Marsh Stember in front of their B-24 aircraft, 1943

There's a Davidson there! :lol:

A-20G-20-DO "Hell'N Pelican II", Serial Number 42-86786, Tail F, USAAF 5th AF, 312th BG, 388th BS

Former Assignments: 3rd BG 90th BS

c1944

April 17, 1944

Pilot 2nd Lt. Charles Davidson (survived) Houma, LA Gunner Sgt. John McKenna, 6644691 (WIA, survived) Yongstown, OH Force Landed April 16, 1944 "Black Sunday" at 17:15

Aircraft History: Built at Douglas at Long Beach, CA. Delivered to the US Army on September 1, 1943.

Wartime History: Crated and shipped to Australia, it was re-assembled at Melbourne, and flown northward to Port Moresby during November or December 1943. Assigned to the 3rd Bombardment Group, 90th Bombardment Squadron. Nicknamed "Louisiana Belle" and the nose was adorned with a shark tooth marking and operated at 17 Mile Drome near Port Moresby.

During February 1944, assigned to the 312th Bombardment Group, 388th Bombardment Squadron. Assigned to Lt. William Mathison, who renamed it "Gloria", but required additional repairs and servicing. On March 21, 1944 this aircraft was repaired and flown to Gusap Airfield.

Assigned to pilot Charles Davidson who nicknamed it "Hell'N Pelican II", after his previous aircraft P-40N "The Hell'N Pelican". Crew Chief "Fudgie" Figuerido choose Tail Code "F" (for the first letter of his surname). A white heart was added to the rear fuselage, the marking of the 388th Bombardment Squadron.

On March 29, 1944 flew its first combat mission on a low level strike over Bunabun Harbor, and continued flying missions based at Gusap Airfield.

Mission History: Took off from Gusap Airfield on a low level mission against Hollandia. On the return flight, the formation ran into bad weather and "Hell'N Pelican" ran low on fuel to the west of Madang. Davidson offered McKenna the chance to bail out, but he responded "Lieutenant what are you going to do?" Davidson said "I'm going in with the ship." and McKenna said in reply "Let's go." This was one of 37 aircraft lost on "Black Sunday" when the 5th Air Force suffered its greatest operational loss of the war.

Lowering the flaps, this aircraft force landed into kunai grass near Amaimon. During the crash landing at 17:15, the propellers were bent back and the left wing leading edge was damaged from an impact with a small tree while skidding over 300 meters. Both were unhurt in the landing and spent the night with the aircraft, behind enemy lines.

Rescue: The next morning, the A-20 and crew were spotted by a P-47 Thunderbolt, which dropped them a message, but it landed too far away to retrieve. Later, a flight of six A-20 flew overhead and dropped notes, but again they were unable to be found. Later, a single A-20 dropped a note that read "Food on the way", plus a radio, rations, lifeboat and first aid kit. Everything was recovered except for the radio. Although both were alive, their familes were notifed they were missing in action.

At 16:00, an L-5 from the 25th Liaison Squadron photographed the intact A-20 from the air. Also, dropped a note to the crew with a map indicating their location and instructing them to to walk to the crash site of A-20 "Lady Constance". Both departed southward in the last afternoon with improvised backpacks made from their parachutes. Camping for the night, a rain storm flooded the area and fouled their weapons and ruined their compass.

During the morning of April 18, a Japanese patrol of ten soldiers passed nearby. After waiting for them to pass, they returned to the A-20, and camped at the edge of the jungle near the wreck. On April 19, a pair of Japanese aircraft strafed the wreck once and departed.

Dropped another note, they were instructed to clear a runway for an L-5 to land to rescue them. Working during the day in shifts. Again and the following day, a pair of Japanese aircraft returned to strafe the wreck. Trying to help clear the kunai grass, an L-5 dropped a incendiary bomb, but it failed to ignite and rains put out fires lit on the ground. Again on April 22, a P-40 dropped a incendiary, but the ground was too wet to burn.

After Australian trips captured Madang, the crew were instead instructed to walk to the Gogol River, 1.5km away. Before departing, Davidson removed the Douglas logo from the control yoke. It took them two days to reach the river through difficult vegetation, then floated down the Gogol River in a life raft, passing many crocodiles and monitored from above by an L-5.

On May 1, they spotted the HMAS Matafele and were taken aboard and transported to Madang Airfield. An L-5 arrived to transport both to Gusap Airfield, returning both to duty. Davidson had a beard after two weeks in the jungle.

Afterwards, Davidson was assigned another A-20 which he never named. On October 11, 1944 McKenna died as a passenger aboard B-25D 41-30525.

Wreckage: The wreckage remained in situ and was visible from the air during 1944 and used as a navigation reference by pilots of the squadron. By the 1950, jungle growth had overgrown the wreck. Known only to villagers. During the 1960's, Chinese youths from Madang removed several of the nose machine guns, one of the top turrets machine guns and cockpit instruments. The nose art faded off, revealing the prior names "Gloria", "Louisiana Belle" and the shark tooth markings.

During August 1979, Michael Claringbould learned about the wreck from a kiap (patrol officer) at Bogia. Trekking to Amaimon with two locals, Claringbould walked to the crash site and noted the serial number.

Writing to the USAF Historical Section at Maxwell AFB, the details of the crash were confirmed. With the help of Russell Sturzebecker, he was put into contact with former pilot, Charles Davidson, who he met in 1985 at the 312th Bombardment Group reunion in Niagara Falls, NY.

Salvage: With Claringbould's assistance, the RAAF planned a training exercise "Operation Venture One" to salvage an A-20 wreck as a training exercise, using a CH-47 Chinook from 12 Squadron. Assembling at Amberley Airfield on September 11, 1984 the team departed for PNG. 1 AD C.O. Tom Kelly was tasked with disassembly of the wreck. Departing on September 14, the team flew to Daru Airfield and then onward to Jackson Airport.

The CH-47 departed on September 17 to relocate the crash site, included passengers S/L Rick Lunburg, Michael Claringbould and Bruce Hoy, curator of modern history at the PNG Museum. They surveyed the area from the air to locate the wreck. On September 18, five team members were landed to disassemble the aircraft. When it proved too heavy to lift, the engines were removed and finally air lifted the fuselage to Madang Airport on October 1 and made a second trip for the ground crew and engines.

Loaded aboard the HMAS Tarakan, the aircraft was transported to Brisbane arriving in November 1984. Afterwards, transported to Amberley Airfield for storage and restoration Restored by the RAAF at at Amberley Restoration Facility by a team led by Denis Doggett during 1984-1996, using parts salvaged from other New Guinea A-20s. The aircraft was meticulously restored to static condition.

At the 1985 312th Bombardment Group reunion, Claringbould presented Davidson the original flight yoke from the aircraft as a gift.

During a ceremony on September 12, 1996, the A-20 was officially handed back to the Papua New Guinea government. In attendance was former pilot Charles Davidson, and his wife Thelma Davidson.

The aircraft is in storage pending the completion of display facilities for the PNG Museum in Port Moresby. It is viewable by appointment.

I emerged from my work fueled couple months to find your post :D You know theres a Hobbycraft Hurricane Mk II night fighter kit....that can be converted from a,b,c and I think d....

I have it somewhere in my stash so if your still on the prowl for one...pm me and let me know :)

Wow Jan, you're hard to keep up with!
*I don't have the Ellis Dvdsn plane..... beauty, I will put him, in my list. Do you have any other info on this one, Sqdn?
*Do have the Girls. Can you imagine giving a daughter a name like Huffines????? Must be a misprint.
*Do have the Pelikan. I've made art work for the nose art and will do that one in 1/72nd, I have a kit, for the next GB19 nose art, and will have decals made for it. But didn't know it went back to PNG. I do have pictures of the plane and Dvdsn at the ceremony.

Karl....... looking at the kit parts you posted, I am now wondering how the this kit got such a favorable review. Looking at the prop blades they alone may take an hour to clean up!

Igor I appreciate the offer, and all the others, But....... looks like I'm gonna be outta commission for about 6 weeks plus during this GB. The 6th of June it will be shoulder tendon, rotator cuff, surgery. One hour operation, but six weeks in a bl00dy sling, then physical therapy. So anything else for this GB is kinda outta the question and will probably struggle a little to get the Lanc finished. But then I'm always right on the wire anyway.

This is great tho..... keepum comin if you findum!
So far I've got over 60!

Attachments

• Hav.jpeg
    Hav.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
found this today bill, whilst looking through Kagero's F4-F Wildacat book.

not sure if you are aware of this one ?

davidson wildcat.jpg

no pictures but units he flew with are marked

I do have this one.
But never looked farther than this listing till now.
He was an FM-2 pilot with VC-27 and found a photo of him in the cockpit on a roster page. One of 33 FM-2 pilots with this Sqn. No other info however. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the heads up!

Bill,
Did you have F/Sgt F. G Davidson of No. 33 Squadron (Hurricane), P/O G. G. Davidson of No. 412 Squadron (Spitfire), P/O H. J. Davidson of No. 427 Squadron (Halifax), F/O J. F. Davidson of No. 421 Squadron (Spitfire)?

Bill,
Did you have F/Sgt F. G Davidson of No. 33 Squadron (Hurricane), P/O G. G. Davidson of No. 412 Squadron (Spitfire), P/O H. J. Davidson of No. 427 Squadron (Halifax), F/O J. F. Davidson of No. 421 Squadron (Spitfire)?

Don't have F.G.
Don't have G.G., but have another G.G. from 401 Sqdn Spits.
Don't have H.J.
Don't have J.F.

Now I've got more searching to do.
Thanks, and keep them coming.

Aw Geo, you've done so much already!!!

Andy, I do have this one already............. But..... it has lead me to many more. Including this one showing D Dvdsn and his personal nose art on his 450 Sqdn P-40 that was adopted by the rest of the pilots as an informal Sqdn mascot!!! I coulda done it for my Nose Art GB..... Many thanks for the link.

Attachments

• Nose art Dvdsn D 450 Sqdn.jpg
    Nose art Dvdsn D 450 Sqdn.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back