Another 'Davidson' for Bill....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
No. 235 Squadron..
Bristol Blenheim Mk. IV, T1999, LA-S..
Operation, Danish Sweep..
Base: Bircham Newton..
Time: 11:00..
Crew: P/O Davidson, Sgt. Brazier and Sgt Aslett..

Damaged by flak off the coast of Denmark. Crashed on landing due to u/c damage, caught fire, causing the hung up bombs to explode, further injuring Sgt Aslett. P/O Davidson and Sgt Brazier rescued Sgt Aslett from the flames..

All I have for this gentleman.
Found him in my Royal Air Force, Coastal Command Losses of the Second World War...Volume 1, Aircraft and Crew Losses 1939-1941...
Think that there were another two crews listed in the book, with a Davidson among them...

Mission: Gardening

Date: 07/08th March 1942 (Saturday/Sunday)

Unit: No: 50 Squadron

Type: Hampden I

Serial: AE400

Code: VN-?

Base: R.A.F. Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire

Pilot: F/O. Allan Godfrey Davidson 61280 R.A.F.V.R. Age 27. Killed

Pilot 2-Obs: Sgt. Leslie Norman Follows 1178923 R.A.F.V.R. Age ? Killed

W/Op/Air/Gnr: Sgt. William Mervyn Alastair Eardley 1182318 R.A.F.V.R. Age ? Killed

W/Op/Air/Gnr: Sgt. Gordon Shackleton 1101049 R.A.F.V.R. Age 27. Killed

REASON FOR LOSS:

Took off at 02.17 hrs. from R.A.F. Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire to drop mines in the "Artichokes" area

A double operation taking place by Bomber Command this night with 17 aircraft bombing the Submarine pens at St. Nazaire with a further 17 aircraft (Hampdens) being dispatched to drop mines off Lorient.

The body of Sgt. Leslie N. Follows was washed ashore at Finistère on the 11th March, the remainder were not found, it is assumed that the aircraft was lost in the Bay. No claims for nightfighter attacks have been found, so it is possible the aircraft (the only one lost on the raid) was hit by flak.

F-O Allan Godfrey Davidson.jpg

F/O. Allan Godfrey Davidson

Thomas and Millicent Davidson of Kenley, Surrey - father and mother of F/O. Davidson sadly also lost another son, Capt. Douglas M. Davidson M.C. South Wales Borderers - serving as a commando with No. 1 Unit. Killed on Tuesday 16th March 1943, almost a year to the day.

--------------------------------------

Mission: Dortmund

Date: 15th November 1944

Unit: No. 115 Squadron ("Despite the Elements")

Type: Lancaster I

Serial: NN706

Code: KO-B

Base: Witchford, Cambridge.

Pilot: Fl/Lt. John William Davidson J/26633 R.C.A.F Age 21. Killed.

Fl/ Eng: Sgt. Arthur Douglas Ward Gillibrand 572714 R.A.F Age 23 Killed.

Nav: F/O. James Henry Powner 153204 R.A.F.V.R Age 20. Killed.

Air/Bmr: F/O. Charles Douglas Dowse 153656 R.A.F.V.R Age 23. Killed.

W/Op/Air/Gnr: F/O. Joseph Reginald Dunford J/38266 R.C.A.F. Age. 22 Killed.

Air/Gnr: Fl/Sgt. Donald Nelson Page J/95462 R.C.A.F Age ? Killed.

Air/Gnr: Fl/Sgt. Kerry Milton Crayston J/95218 R.C.A.F Age. 20. Killed.

REASON FOR LOSS:

Took off at 12.41 hrs from Witchford near Ely in Cambridgeshire to attack Dortmund. 177 Lancaster's took part in this G-H attack on the oil plant in Dortmund which had been classed as very accurate even though the raid took place with thick cloud. This Lancaster NN706 collided with another Lancaster HK595 in a mid air collision also from the same squadron. These were the only aircraft to be lost on this raid. The crew of the HK595 Lancaster flown by Sqn/Ldr. Hugh Wilfred Castle were also all lost.

----------------------------------------------

Mission: Homberg

Date: 20/21st July 1944 (Thursday/Friday)

Unit: No: 75 (N.Z.) Squadron R.A.F.

Type: Lancaster I

Serial: HK569

Code: AA-Q

Base: R.A.F. Mepal, Cambridgeshire.

Pilot: Fl/Sgt. Neil Douglas Davidson NZ422057 R.N.Z.A.F. Age 21. Killed

Fl/Eng: Sgt. Robert Gerald Sloman 914220 R.A.F.V.R. Age 24. Killed

Nav: Sgt. Arthur Ernest John Goddard 1323141 R.A.F.V.R. Age 22. Killed

Air/Bmr: Sgt. Thomas Gilbert Little 1459875 R.A.F. Age 21. P.O.W. No: 52469 Camp: (9C) Muhlhausen, Nurnberg

W/Op/Air/Gnr: Sgt. Douglas Corris 1501099 R.A.F.V.R. Age 25. Killed

Air/Gnr (mid upper): Sgt. Raymond Stanley Lang 1896528 R.A.F.V.R. Age 32. Killed

Air/Gnr (rear): Fl/Sgt. Henry John Hiscox 928092 R.A.F.V.R. Age 35. Killed

REASON FOR LOSS:

Lancaster took off from RAF Mepal, Cambridgeshire, England, on its way to bomb the Fischer Tropsch oil refinery/aviation fuel producer in Homberg, Germany. It was attacked by a German night-fighter flown by Oblt. Dietrich Schmidt of 8./NJG1 over Heibloem, Limburg, Netherlands on its way to the target. It crashed into a river bank at 01.25 hrs near Kessel after the pilot avoided a village called Reuver.

75-squadron-lancaster-hk569-aa-q.jpg

Above left to right: Fl/Sgt. Davidson, Sgt. Sloman, Sgt. Goddard and Sgt. Corris

Sgt. Little and Fl/Sgt. Hiscox survived the crash however Fl/Sgt. Hiscox died on the river bank, discovered by Sef Williams - subsequently buried in the village of Beesel. Sgt Little became a P.O.W. surviving the war. No bodies were found for the rest of the crew and they are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

----------------------------------------------

Two short ones;
Halifax III, LK834, LK-E Flown by Sgt William Davidson, killed with 7 crew when their aircraft collided with MZ696 over Balkholme, near Goole, Yokshire.
Wg Cdr R. T. P. Davidson, Hawker Typhoon Mk. IB, MN518, code R-D....

Sorry Jan, I missed the last two posts........ good ones, I will note them with the others.

RTP Davidson's Typhoon was my BG8 entry. He is Canadian, went back to Canada to train new pilots as he escaped from EU and could not return to combat. Retired 30 yrs, I believe, from the RCAF.

Keepum comin if you findum.
Bill

Attachments

• fini 3b.jpg
    fini 3b.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 117
I read a review on the Hobbycraft **Hurricane IID and it pretty much debunked all the bad press it gets.

As far as I can find it's the only Mk.IID in a box without conversion. Remains to be seen if it has only one wing gun for aiming. At 15 pounds the one on ebay at 14.50 dollars isn't too bad then, just depends on how high it goes when it finishes. I had been unable to find prices to compare till you sent me this link. Thanks for that.

I placed a bid at 16 bucks............. see what happens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back