Anyone recognize this ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
I found this on the web with no imformation. Does anyone know what it is ? Looks like swept wing Su-25.
Ed

Attachments

• Unknown Rusian.jpg
    Unknown Rusian.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 285
It's an Ilyushin IL-102. At first I thought it was an Su-25 frogfoot, but I never saw a rear cockpit on the Sukhoi. According to what I have read, they only made one of them, and it was beat out by the Sukhoi.

I´ve seen pics of that bird, if I´m right it is the latest development of the Shturmovik.

Yes, pretty much. It started with the Il-40 in the 1950s, then the Il-42 in the 60s before this one. In the end, the Su-25 was the winner. Soviet doctrine changed once nuclear weapons became a way to control the battlefield instead of ground attack. I shudder to think about that, but that was the thinking at the time.

Grayscale pictures: Il-40 1st and 2nd prototype, Il-102 on the exhibition in Zhukovskiy.
from: Su-25 Gratch (Voyna v Vozdukhye - War in the Air, No 95)
Color from: Reaktyvnye samolyoti Vooruzhyonnyh Sil SSSR i Rossii (Jet Aircrafts of the Armed Forces of USSR and Russia)

Attachments

• Il-40-I.jpg
    Il-40-I.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Il-40-II.jpg
    Il-40-II.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 257
  • Il-102.jpg
    Il-102.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Il-102draw.jpg
    Il-102draw.jpg