Are these airplanes real?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TO, I reckon you'd have to be a suicidial maniac to fly the "Gallipoli" if it had ever existed at all, and even more so for the even weirder "Shirley".

Sys, I believe they're made up, just from the names. "Hundley-Pudge" ?? I've been to that website before and they're alittle tongue in cheek.

Although 'modern' (1996), Russia's Aeroprogress T-752 Shtyk would fit easily into Very Weird Aircraft.

It was intended to be an all-weather, day/night, wing-in-ground-effect strike aircraft, for use in local conflicts, and anti-helicopter/light aircraft.

Remained a project.

Yeah, after reading it more closely, I think youre right.

Heres one Soren probably would enjoy..."DINKEL GX "KLEINEFEUERWERKSWAFFE"

".....Few Dinkels saw active service, but in the last great sentimental gesture of the Hitler era, Reiehsmarshal Hermann Goering had four such craft assembled, ordered them fueled with fireworks, and then, as his Führer watched, had the Dinkels fly overhead skywriting a multicolored swastika in the night sky. Alas, the swastika proved a skywriter's Götterdämmerung when all four planes collided at the axis. The Führer was nonetheless said to be delighted at the show...."

Some weird things indeed...as for "Shirley"...common I understand to blow yourself up with a real plane filled with explosives...but to pedal to deliver a "deadly" mad dog on american ship...thats just plain stupid...

Although 'modern' (1996), Russia's Aeroprogress T-752 Shtyk would fit easily into Very Weird Aircraft.

It was intended to be an all-weather, day/night, wing-in-ground-effect strike aircraft, for use in local conflicts, and anti-helicopter/light aircraft.

Remained a project.

Wow Graeme, that's really interesting.
What were those 'things' on the lower side meant for? They almost look like floaters.

Kris

What were those 'things' on the lower side meant for?

Kris

Absolutely no idea Kris! But the undercarriage reminds me of the Kalinin K-7, which incidentally would fit fine in the imaginary planes above, if it wasn't for the fact that it was actually built!

I think the designers at Aeroprogress in the mid nineties were on drugs.

Of course none of them ever existed. They are from National Lampoon about 30 years ago.

I have seen a photo where the Army put the nose section of a B17 onto a
B24 in attempts to give to crew more room. The plane was flown but not very stable. It is strange looking.

DBII

"KAKAKA "SHIRLEY" AMPHIBIOUS PEDAL-BOMBER
The originality of Japanese aircraft design was never in question after the Shirley wobbled onto the scene, albeit briefly, in the closing months of the Pacific war. This light (75 lbs.), cheap ($1.49), last-ditch gesture of a desperate Japanese High Command was in fact little more than a bicycle of the air, its propeller turned by pedal power from the pilot. Towed behind a torpedo boat, the Shirley would sooner or later rise and fumble skyward, staying aloft exactly as long as its pilot's stamina held out and his sprocket chain stayed intact. Hopefully, a U.S. ship would soon be sighted; then, braving massive ack-ack fire as well as large birds, the fanatic suicide candidate at the controls, or handle bars, aimed toward his quarry and pumped furiously until directly overhead. Then, at the flick of a lever, the under slung wicker basket fell away and hit the deck below-and one rabid dog was disgorged to run amuck and wreak its mad havoc. The ravening animal, it was assumed, would take a few Yanks with it by the time the end came. Ingenious-but not ingenious enough; the dogs proved susceptible to seasickness en route to the target and every known Shirley mission ended in anticlimax with a dazed mutt vomiting among the gobs while a paper airplane slowly sank off the starboard bow. "

Hahahaha, I definitely enjoyed this one. Funny site.

What's most interesting is the fact that the person who painted these "airplanes" has a real understanding of the various WWII country's designers. They are actually well thought out in capturing the spirit of the country's best machines. Well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back