Aviation according to Tolkein

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

silence

Senior Airman
Nov 20, 2012
Yuba City, California
I don't know about you all, but every time I see the eagles swooping in during a Jackson Tolkien movie I suddenly think of Spitfires rolling over to dive to the attack.

Just a thought I think some of you can appreciate.

I don't know about you all, but every time I see the eagles swooping in during a Jackson Tolkien movie I suddenly think of Spitfires rolling over to dive to the attack.

Just a thought I think some of you can appreciate.

Trying to think of movie scenes where Spitfires swoop in to pick up Hobbits and attack Orcs and Goblins...:-\"

I understand that some wags interpret the eagles as symbolic of the USA swooping in to save the hobbits… Or in this latest case the one hobbit. Does that mean the orcs are from Deutchland? Uh oh, this could get bloody. :shock: :lol: :oops:

P-40's, at least.

I see what you're doing, Meat, but I suspect the P-51 because symbollically it's held up as the Means to American Victory and all that flag waving stuff. ;)

Question is, what sort of aircraft are the dragon like creatures that the wraiths fly about on and attack the towns with in the last movie? Ju 87s or Ju 88s? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Why didn't the Eagles just drop of Frodo at Mt Doom or drop the bleeding ring into it. They would have had the accuracy to do it with their dive approach, as it was all I can see is a misuse of potentially war winning strategic air power to support ground units, Harris would be spinning in his grave.

Smaug resembles the Ju 87?

hobbit-003.gif

Junkers_Ju_87_G_tank_buster1945.gif

or Smaug and the Ju 287?

Ju287V1.gif

Why didn't the Eagles just drop of Frodo at Mt Doom or drop the bleeding ring into it.

It sure would'a saved a heck of a lot of paper! I tried reading the trilogy not long after the movies came out; all I can say is good on you, Peter, since reading the books was like wading through quicksand. And the singing! Pages and pages of meaningless vocabulary!

Actually, I've had a thought; since Peter Jackson is such a big fan of Great War aircraft; perhaps the eagles are Sopwith Triplanes instead? And the wraith's dragons Gothas?

Just to add fuel to the fire, there's the line in the first Jackson "Hobbit" movie where Bilbo-as-narrator says, "The first they heard was a noise like a hurricane," and I just thought it would be cool if a Hurricane, Merlin engine flat out, came zipping across the screen.

Ok, I have a strange imagination...

It sure would'a saved a heck of a lot of paper! I tried reading the trilogy not long after the movies came out; all I can say is good on you, Peter, since reading the books was like wading through quicksand. And the singing! Pages and pages of meaningless vocabulary!

I have read them (too many times) and thank God for PJ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back