B-17 Fuddy Duddy make over

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We learned while polishing a B25, owned by the same organization, that it is much easier to "prep" the aluminum and remove corrosion before polishing than it was to cut our way through it.

Hi and welcome to the site.

Errr, cheeky question, can you advise on what to use to polish up Ali skins ?. I will be polishing my '51 when its a bit more complete and am working on the assumption that using a power tool (drill with polishing mop !) is the way forward, but I have no idea what to use to assist in the actual polishhing side of the task. Is there a specific ali polish that you Pro's use ?

Crickey, thats an offer I absolutely cannot miss

I'm about 92 miles southwest of London (About 3 miles from Stonehenge in Wiltshire). Its about an hour and a half .....errrrr, make that 3 on account of the incessant roadworks and sheer volume of traffic....from central London. And yes, would love to drive up and have a chat and see what you guys are working on.

I'm out of the UK from the 2-20 Sept but apart from that, I can make any day a one-off so its not a problem.

Please drop me a PM when you have things firmed up and come hell or highwater, I'll be there !.

Once again, thanks for your offer, I really appreciate that !.

Yeah, I know what it costs. But that's the General's business and possibly Mark Foster's, too. I can tell you excactly what if costs to have a Beech 18 polished, but that's Enricho's business (at Chino).

If you aren't paying the bills, it isn't nice to disclose costs of ownership that someone else is paying.

I volunteer at Chino restoring aircraft, and it isn't exactly cheap, is it? I was around when Mark was rebuilding his Bird Dog from a basket case. Looks just great now, doesn't it?

Well, I'll tell you what............. I helped polish Merlin's Magic, P-51, for one day, and I was absolutely nackered. I bow to Anyone who has the stamina to work on one-o-these from nose to tail!!!!

It gets a LOT easier when it is shiny and you KEEP it that way. That means, when you fly it, it gets cleaned right after the flight back to pristine status.

If you let it sit outside, then you have a hard time next time you want it clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back