B-17 Fuddy Duddy make over (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
While the crew from Superior Shine did a commendable job, some things should be noted. I spent one day on the top of each wing removing corrosion with Alumaprep and scotchbrite pads. I spent two more days removing corrosion from the bottom of each wing with more alumaprep and more scotchbrite pads. I also spent one day removing the paint from the lower side of the R/H wing leading edge that I replaced a couple of years ago after the bird strike at Chino. I also did numerous spot treatments of alumaprep and scotchbrite pads as was needed by the polishing crew. The reason that I mention this is that I want everyone to know that there was substantial prepartion before Superior Shine even arrived and they negelected to mention that.

Also, some months ago I asked for help in rennovating the nose of Fuddy Duddy. We are nearing the completion and if I am capable I will post photos. It really is looking great.

This type of work looks great but it removes the Alclad on the surfaces exposing the aluminum alloy to the elements. This translates to much more diligence with regard to corrosion prevention with a corresponding decrease in inspection intervals. When I was a kid and worked as a crew chief on KC-135A tankers in the USAF I polished the nose cowls of my plane in a similar manner. It looked great. Other crew chiefs followed suit and soon half of our double wing of 50 tankers twinkled on the flightline. Then an order came down to cease and desist because we were in actuality removing the Alclad (pure aluminum anti-corrosion cladding) from the surface of the stressed skins by polishing. In other words, that dull-looking skin served a functional purpose and we were systematically destroying it by polishing. The birds that were polished were sent to the paint hangar and had the nose cowls painted with an aluminum polyurethane as a fix.

Also, the bird needs to be completely washed and cleaned of the polishing residue. Notice the black around all the fasteners? That's aluminum Alclad that's been removed by the polishing action, collected around the rivets and dried into a dust. It is now a huge moisture magnet. It needs to be removed and quickly. I'm all for the aesthetically pleasing but sometimes it isn't the best thing to do from a maintenance perspective. Cleaning and performing a complete airframe paint job would have been the better way to go.

Fuddy Duddy will only fly at most 10 hours annually. It is also housed in an insulated hangar for the rest of it's life. The effects of corrosion will be minimal at best. Also we have guys working on the residue around the rivets and other affected areas. Also, it is a one time polish and as such there won't be a continual degredation of the alclad. While you are correct that the corrosion serves a purpose, Fuddy Duddy is a museum piece and as such we took the calculated risk that to have it polished and look the way that it does is more beneficial than the protection that the surface has to offer if left unpolished. By the way, does anyone know how much it costs these days to do a complete cleaning and airframe paint job?

Just what I thought. None of you guys work on warbirds any more you just critique those of us who do. This is my last post.

Just what I thought. None of you guys work on warbirds any more you just critique those of us who do. This is my last post.

Wow, I do not, nor ever have worked on any type of plane, but I would love to be able to learn and read stories from those who do or have. You should stick around and educate us instead of getting pissed because someone has different ideas or opinions than you. :rolleyes:

BTW, the plane looks beautiful! Good work!

I think you need to stick around and get to know people a little better. Most know that if I could get paid the same about that I make now in the area I live in that I would jump at a chance to restore warbirds for a living.

Frankly how much it costed to polish Fuddy Duddy I would consider it priceless and a job well done and I couldnt even imagine what a price tag would be but I also know some companies would do it for free just for the publicity it would bring to there company.

I beleive Gulf Stream repainted the EAA's Ford tri motor for free a year of two ago.

Frankly if you leave now you are doing the critiqueing. Frankly I would love to learn more and even as a moderator I dont get to all the threads on the website.

Paul

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

True, "dominic754" didn't receive the credit he deserves for his help on the B-17.

We learned while polishing a B25, owned by the same organization, that it is much easier to "prep" the aluminum and remove corrosion before polishing than it was to cut our way through it.

We have two other aircraft to polish coming up soon. One may even take us to the U.K.

Greater things have yet to happen!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

True, "dominic754" didn't receive the credit he deserves for his help on the B-17.

We learned while polishing a B25, owned by the same organization, that it is much easier to "prep" the aluminum and remove corrosion before polishing than it was to cut our way through it.

We have two other aircraft to polish coming up soon. One may even take us to the U.K.

Greater things have yet to happen!

Very cool superior shine, any hints on the aircraft :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back