B-17 Underbelly Color.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Really nice work! I love to see shapes coming together from the 'solid', and I'm looking forward to seeing this (BIG) baby finiished and airborne!

IMG_0040.jpg
Hopefully I can cut better than I can lay out lines. The tires are six inches in diameter while the struts are 5/8" diameter. The cut out itself is slightly oversize of course.

RedHead-1.jpg

Well, what do you think folks? I believe this comes from the 8th so this would be right up your alley Airframes. I could use a color profile and markings for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The artwork is certainly Vargas style, although I think it might be a design for a 'T' shirt or similar, for enthusiasts, and not from an actual B17. I'll see if I can find an aircraft with that nose art, but it's doubtful. The 'usual' style would be a place name, girlfriend, the local cat house etc etc!!
I've got a few colour pics of B17 nose art from WW2, mainly natural metal B17G's, but some OD G's and F's too, if they might be of use?

LadyLil.gif
I found this but obviously there's some conflict. I sure don't want to lose this one! I found many pics of 'Blonde Dynamite' but no aircraft associated with it. The source I found was on ebay as a 'Red Head' B-17 from the 8th Air Force t-shirt. I think it's something else. I'm starting to narrow it down to the 612th bs 401st bg.

I've had a look in all my listings of known, named B17's from the 8th USAAF, and haven't yet found this one. I really do think it's a generic design, based on typical nose art, most of which was inspired by the Vargas calendars, and used on a modern-day 'T' shirt as 'memorabilia'.
The 'girl' herself might well have been part of some nose art, from a variety of aircraft, although the artwork appears to be too 'artistic' and precise to have been the actual image used, if it was used, on an aircraft, be it B17, B24, B26 or whatever.
I'll keep on looking though, and let you know if I come up with anything directly related, but it's looking pretty doubtful.

This is probably flying in the face of the quest for accuracy in modelling, but that nose art is SOOOO hot that I would be tempted to say "what the f***" and use it ANYWAY!

A2HeavenlyBodyback.jpg

Well I found this. Now I do believe there was a B-17 called the 'Heavenly Body' but it had a different gal on it. I'm in a quandary folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back