B-17 Underbelly Color.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_0017-4.jpg
. All further cuts will have bevel cuts on both sides like this. The next photo will show you why.

Well, it's raining like hell here in Kent and I suppose now is as good a time as any to fix that damn fool leaky kitchen sink. Joanne always works on the weekends so it gets lonely around here. It can play hell with the bi-polar disorder once in a great while. It hit it's mark today. I do enjoy cooking when I get into the swing of things. Tonight will be king crab and steak. She got the crab at a good price yesterday and we never pass up the opportunity. I'll go tackle the sink and maybe do some more on the plane. We did enjoy a rabbit stew I made not so long ago. A good, hearty red wine was the base, great rainy day dinner stuff you know. The first time we ever tried rabbit. We absolutely loved it. I got to get going, I'll be back, best regards.

IMG_0020-1.jpg
. Here is what it begins to look like. Remember, the strips with the straight edge go up against the crutch itself. Everything hanging over either end will eventually get trimmed.

IMG_0021-1.jpg
. This is a transitional point in the planking where I have to start shaping the strips to make them fit into precise areas. Don't mind the untidy mess here after all, the wing surface underneath used to look this way too. The next photo will show you this.

I assume the outside wood is balsa, what do you use on the frame work?
The ribs and all fuselage bulkheads are balsa laminated. I epoxied three 4"x48" by whatever thickness sheets together. The middle would be cross grain. The fuse would use three 1/8" laminates while the ribs would use three 3/32". The entire sheeted airframe will then be fiberglassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back