B-17 Underbelly Color. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm in the process of installing the main retracts. I have some bugs to work out folks. So as soon as I get things ironed out I'll be posting more pics. Best regards, Thebuilderofthings.

Photo-0028.jpg
. Well, here's where I had some bugs to work out. The front mounting bracket on the backside of the firewall was mounted too high (this is inverted) so the landing gear would not extend in the proper position as the next series of photos will show you. So I had to remove the blind nuts and re-drill the holes in their proper place. Some bugs huh?

Photo-0026-1.jpg
. Here is the gear in the extended position. Notice the angle of the long upper strut connecting to the shorter upper strut is pretty flat. I need a bow in this or about a 91 degree angle to this so as to lock this in place. You will see this in the fix in the next photo. I also took some artistic license here too to better illustrate this. I never knew about this stuff. Thanks to your kids!

Photo-0029.jpg
. Now this is the rear mounting plate for the other side. Notice in the blueprint you can see the front mounting bracket with the large holes in it. This bracket is bolted to a 1/4" inch piece of plywood which in turn is epoxied to the 1/4" inch firewall. The bolts run all the way through.

IMG_00012-1.jpg
. Now with the wing inverted again the rear mount is installed. The side wedges you saw epoxied on the rear of this are now sandwiched between the upper and lower wing spars.

One question.:-k Just how big is this model going to be cause it looks like it's going to be HHHHUUUUUUUUGE?:dontknow:
The wingspan is 138" inches which makes this 1/9th scale. I'll be ordering the rims, tires and proportional braking system in a bit. Actually uses disc brakes. The wheels and tires I have on in the photos are just inexpensive generic ones.

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing this finished - and flying! If you think you might need any colour profiles, markings details etc, if it's for 8th Air Force, just let me know!

IMG_0002-3.jpg
. Well, I finally got something going here though perhaps a bit redundant. Installation of the main landing gear mounts as well as the lower nacelle formers are being laid out here in these sequences.

IMG_0006-2.jpg
. On the plywood former I had my eyes closed when I cut out the notch for the crutch. So I cut out more of the former to the left of the mistake....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back