B-17 Underbelly Color.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_0010.jpg
. Now here is one of the firewalls. It's 1/4" inch aircraft grade plywood. I've already got the holes drilled for the engine mounts, but there is more, watch.

IMG_0018-2.jpg
. Because this firewall will have the main landing gear attached to it there will be another 1/8" inch plywood section with blind nuts sandwiched in between for attachment and added strength. I'll show you what I mean. I am now taking the firewall and using the dead centering tool to mark the holes on the 1/8" ply disc behind.

IMG_0005-3-1.jpg
. And hopefully here is where it all comes together for you. I only needed to recess two holes as the other two obviously weren't needed. These will now be epoxied together. Now the engine can be mounted to the firewall. The slots are for the nacelle spines to pass through. These are what everything hang on.

I'm originally from the North East of England, but now live in the County of Cheshire, about 20 miles south of Manchester, in the North West of England.
It looks like your B17 is going to weigh a fair bit, so I presume the engines must be fairly powerful?

I'm originally from the North East of England, but now live in the County of Cheshire, about 20 miles south of Manchester, in the North West of England.
It looks like your B17 is going to weigh a fair bit, so I presume the engines must be fairly powerful?
I'll be using four four stroke engines. They are .91 cubic inches each putting out 1.6 HP a piece and will swing a 15" inch three blade prop. They are made by a company called Saito.

Wow, this is some pretty impressive work. Do you have any pics of any other prior builds?????
IMG_00014.jpg
This is a 1/5th scale Mustang with an 84" inch wingspan. It has a 5 HP 62 cc. chainsaw engine in it. You can barely see the instrument panel from here. Elevator, rudder, ailerons, flaps, throttle and retractable landing gear including the tail wheel which also steers. All up weight 23 lbs.

IMG_0016.jpg
. And here is one of the 4-stroke engines mounted in it's intended position. This engine has already been broken in on my test stand. Nice steady idle,transitions great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back