B-17 Underbelly Color.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17Stuff.jpg
. Each sheet was weighed. All the heavier ones went towards the front and wing area the lightest went to the very rear.

IMG_0012_1.jpg
. This is the center wing section which consists of the four engines, tanks, main retracts and flaps. The outer wing panels have the ailerons and plug into this center section via a tube into a sleeve system. Notice I have string lined the firewalls to ensure they remain true to each other. There is no side thrust to these engines however there is two and a half degrees down thrust which I had checked using a pair of incidence meters. One on the wing itself to get the wing to read zero degrees and then using the other incidence meter on each nacelle to read negative two and a half degrees. The plans show where to mark this out on your ribs and nacelle supports.

IMG_0012-1.jpg
. Here we have the flap in the retracted position. Everything is nice and level, gaps are minimal and all trailing edges even up.

IMG_0013-1.jpg
. Now this tool is a dead centering tool. You use it to mark where you want your drill bit to go dead center.I'll show you how this works. As you can see it is spring loaded and slides through a shaft. The tip has a drill bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back