Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some are battle damaged some aren't :oops:

Attachments

• 102_6374.JPG
    102_6374.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 506
  • 102_6375.JPG
    102_6375.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 507
  • 102_6376.JPG
    102_6376.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 509
  • 102_6377.JPG
    102_6377.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 509
  • 102_6378.JPG
    102_6378.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 503
A simple upside down:cry: for a macchi mc 200 in North Africa 1942. Nice cammo, by the way ...
Hope you like it

Attachments

• c200008b.jpg
    c200008b.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 501
  • c200009b.jpg
    c200009b.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 501
More damaged macchi saettas and fiat falcons

Attachments

• mc200_danneggiato_bengasi.jpg
    mc200_danneggiato_bengasi.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 468
  • mc200_atterraggio_bengasi.jpg
    mc200_atterraggio_bengasi.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 479
  • cr42_18gr_ct_psalvadori_norfolk.jpg
    cr42_18gr_ct_psalvadori_norfolk.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 477
  • cr42_monserrato.jpg
    cr42_monserrato.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 494
A couple of 1943 italian planes cemetries ....:(
Thanks for the hospitality:D

Attachments

• Wreckage_of_Italian_hangers_and_airplanes_ouside_Tripoli.jpg
    Wreckage_of_Italian_hangers_and_airplanes_ouside_Tripoli.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 473
  • italian_wrecks_1943.jpg
    italian_wrecks_1943.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 474
Great series of pranged birds, Guys.

The 2 japanese aircraft are both Pearl Harbor casualties the first a D3A1 Val Dive bomber code and unit unknown, the second a Zero AI-154 from the Akagi flown by Pilot Officer 1st class Takeshi Hirano, killed in the crash.His Zero was one of 3 lost in the first wave attack and the only one from Akagi.

Great series of pranged birds, Guys.

The 2 japanese aircraft are both Pearl Harbor casualties the first a D3A1 Val Dive bomber code and unit unknown, the second a Zero AI-154 from the Akagi flown by Pilot Officer 1st class Takeshi Hirano, killed in the crash.His Zero was one of 3 lost in the first wave attack and the only one from Akagi.

Thanks Wayne :D !

Some good pics there guy.
Neil, I wonder if the Garwood mentioned in the caption of the Spit with the Shermans passing by, is the same guy who ended up as ramp manager at Newcastle Airport (UK) in the early 1960's? He was ex-RCAF, having flown Spits (I believe) during WW2, then Sabres in the '50's. Great bloke, and very laid back - although that phrase wasn't around then, especially to a fourteen year old lad!
Isn't that CR42 the one that's now in the RAF Museum's BoB Hall?

Yes, Airframes - spot on. Force-landed and tipped up on nose on Orfordness beach (Suffolk - not Norfolk) on 11 Nov 1940 during the one and only large-scale Italian raid over Britain in daylight. Pilot Salvadori Pictico was captured unhurt and said an oil leak forced him down. The RAF somehow managed to transport the aircraft by road to Martlesham Heath where it was repaired and subsequently flown to Farnborough. There are a number of pictures of it being flown in RAF colours as BT474. As you say, now on display at RAFM Hendon.

BC

Thanks BC, I thought the pic was familiar. Bit of a fiasco that raid, with the poor crews thinking they were on a jolly, carrying food hampers and wine onboard at least one bomber! I believe, if memory serves, the latter was the one brought down in Rendelsham Forest, Suffolk, by Bob Stanford Tuck.

My father's Jane VI - March 22, 1945 strafing Memingen A/F near Munich.

Either 37mm or 40mm flak hit on rudder. Allegedly he recovered from a snap roll after this hit.

In all he received flak damage on four Mustangs that he brought back to England - and one he left behind enemy lines in France. Four belly landings of the five.

This was the only 'normal' landing of the five

There are so many incredible miraculous stories from WW2 - like this one - that defy logic or statistics.

He must have been a very steady pilot with nerves of steel - I am not sure I could do that myself

Neil, I wonder if the Garwood mentioned in the caption of the Spit with the Shermans passing by, is the same guy who ended up as ramp manager at Newcastle Airport (UK) in the early 1960's? He was ex-RCAF, having flown Spits (I believe) during WW2, then Sabres in the '50's. Great bloke, and very laid back - although that phrase wasn't around then, especially to a fourteen year old lad!
Isn't that CR42 the one that's now in the RAF Museum's BoB Hall?

Yes, Airframes - spot on. Force-landed and tipped up on nose on Orfordness beach (Suffolk - not Norfolk) on 11 Nov 1940 during the one and only large-scale Italian raid over Britain in daylight. Pilot Salvadori Pictico was captured unhurt and said an oil leak forced him down. The RAF somehow managed to transport the aircraft by road to Martlesham Heath where it was repaired and subsequently flown to Farnborough. There are a number of pictures of it being flown in RAF colours as BT474. As you say, now on display at RAFM Hendon.

BC

Thanks BC, I thought the pic was familiar. Bit of a fiasco that raid, with the poor crews thinking they were on a jolly, carrying food hampers and wine onboard at least one bomber! I believe, if memory serves, the latter was the one brought down in Rendelsham Forest, Suffolk, by Bob Stanford Tuck.

Your are both absolutely right.
Me, I can only suggest this english book ....

Aerei Italiani - The Chianti Raiders

Ciao:)
Saetta66

Airframes,
The bit about Bob Stanford Tuck being involved in the "Spaghetti party" on 11 Nov 1940 is another urban myth. He was not flying and did not make any claims this date, although he did visit the wreck of the BR 20 at Bromeswell, Suffolk, later, and helped to "liberate" some items from this aircraft for the 257 Sqn trophy collection, including a steel helmet and a bottle of Chianti ! One of the crests cut from the tail fin was auctioned a few years ago.
Another CR 42 force-landed at Corton, a village near to me, but was too badly damaged to fly again. I was recently given a piece of fabric from this aircraft.

Some good gen on this raid here:

Hkans Flygsida - The Falco and Regia Aeronautica in the Battle of Britain

Regards,

Bob C

Goog afternoon to everybody,

I have some images for you:

a sequence about the destruction of one FW190 over Germany in 44' and an image about a Libarator
shooted down near Grado (Friuli ITALY) in 44' by Lt. Stabile flying with a MC 205.

Attachments

• FW 190 hit.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 173
  • damaged Liberator.pdf
    158 KB · Views: 131
Neil, I wonder if the Garwood mentioned in the caption of the Spit with the Shermans passing by, is the same guy who ended up as ramp manager at Newcastle Airport (UK) in the early 1960's? He was ex-RCAF, having flown Spits (I believe) during WW2, then Sabres in the '50's. Great bloke, and very laid back - BoB Hall?
Sorry missed this ,When I go back to library I'll check the books out again and check, the book has a few pic of JEJ for Rochie

Thanks BR, you're quite right. I'm trying to recall the account from Tuck's book 'Fly for your life'(?) which I last read around 1968 ! I'm fairly sure it's as you describe, where he visited the crash site, but had not been involved, or possibly not even flying, that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back