Being shot down in the desert question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rob23

Airman 1st Class
Jun 8, 2018
When either an allied or axis plane was shot down in the desert theater and it was obvious the shot down pilot was alive was there any effort made by the victor to notify someone that there was someone now stranded in the middle of nowhere?

In the case of the Germans, they notified the 1. Wüstennotstaffel (1st Desert Rescue Squadron), who flew out in a Storch to capture the enemy pilot, because a captured pilot provided valuable intelligence material. They would also examine the downed aircraft for any new equipment being used. We wrote an article about the unit, which can be found here. The unit rescued at least 25 Allied airmen between June 1941 and October 1942. Here's an extract from that article:

"Wüstennotstaffel crews were instructed to land and inspect the wreckage of any downed Allied aircraft they located. Such work was important to the intelligence war, as any information on damage, markings, and location would help build German knowledge of their opposing air force, and inspection of wrecks could also substantiate any victory claims made for the destruction of enemy aircraft. Of more importance was inspection of the armament and wireless communication devices carried aboard the machine. Wherever possible, it was standard procedure to retrieve such pieces of equipment, not just to deprive the enemy of any salvageable equipment, but for further analysis by German intelligence. The retrieval of documents was also important. No doubt humanitarian considerations were a motivation for rescuing Allied personnel, but the intelligence aspect was certainly also a factor because Allied prisoners were valuable potential sources of information."

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Hey thanks, Andrew. I had always wondered about this, being in that big empty without a pot to piss in. That had to be a somewhat unnerving experience.

When either an allied or axis plane was shot down in the desert theater and it was obvious the shot down pilot was alive was there any effort made by the victor to notify someone that there was someone now stranded in the middle of nowhere?
Recognize that the forces, both allied and axis, for the most part, weren't fighting for the middle of the dessert, but close to the coast and along the roads. So, 90% of the time, if shot down, you would be relatively close to where your ground forces were.

Also, both sides paid the locals to return downed pilots, so locals had incentive to locate planes that came down a little further afield and return the aircrew. While it might seem like middle of nowhere to someone born in Berlin or London, it was home to a surprising number of people.

Add in that the country is "relatively" flat so Storches and Lystanders could search over significant areas relatively effectively.

Neighbour from when I was a kid recovered a significant number of Hurricanes.

The rigid German officer slapping the Sherman tank festooned with Balkenkreuz and calling it a panzer. The cowardly Troy McLure (you may remember him from such films as....).
Hopping around the dessert in a wounded P-40. Delightfully awful.

Recognize that the forces, both allied and axis, for the most part, weren't fighting for the middle of the dessert, but close to the coast and along the roads. So, 90% of the time, if shot down, you would be relatively close to where your ground forces were.

Also, both sides paid the locals to return downed pilots, so locals had incentive to locate planes that came down a little further afield and return the aircrew. While it might seem like middle of nowhere to someone born in Berlin or London, it was home to a surprising number of people.

Add in that the country is "relatively" flat so Storches and Lystanders could search over significant areas relatively effectively.

Neighbour from when I was a kid recovered a significant number of Hurricanes.
I keep thinking about that Kittyhawk flown by Flt Sgt Dennis Copping and his fate. Also the Lady Be Good crew. I realize they did not go down as a direct result of combat but thinking about them got me to thinking about the guys Marseille shot down who were able to make it down alive.

Also, a TV movie called 'Sole Survivor' that I saw as a kid in 1970 had an impact on me as I realized it was based on the Lady Be Good. Weird how this stuff bounces around for decades in thought.

Thanks for the information!

Like that poor pilot of that P-40 they found a few years back. I think about that sometimes.... Could the result have been different?
That Kittyhawk was on my mind too. He went down due to mechanical issues, not combat, so who would be around to see it? Maybe natives, but would they be friendly? Scarce resources sometimes lead to bad neighbors.

I thought it had flak damage (the P-40) somewhere back by the tail, no? Would it have helped if he set it on fire? Maybe the tires on a calm day, and someone, anyone would see? I wonder...
I like the way you are thinking, never give up! Im not sure we're he actually went down but would think it was remote just due to the time between his forced landing and discovery. I can't but wonder how many times that happened in the Pacific, either a water landing or putting down on a remote island.

Cheers,
Biff

I keep thinking about that Kittyhawk flown by Flt Sgt Dennis Copping and his fate. Also the Lady Be Good crew. I realize they did not go down as a direct result of combat but thinking about them got me to thinking about the guys Marseille shot down who were able to make it down alive.

Also, a TV movie called 'Sole Survivor' that I saw as a kid in 1970 had an impact on me as I realized it was based on the Lady Be Good. Weird how this stuff bounces around for decades in thought.

Thanks for the information!
The Desert War must have been a popular TV theme. There was also an episode of the Twilight Zone about a B-25 that went down in North Africa. The original air date was 1960, only 15 years after the end of the War.

"King Nine will Not Return"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back