Best Aircraft in many different roles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For the Mosquitos roles, put all those minus the skis (Skis for Snow isn't a role.. ;) ) and then add Anti-Shipping. Seeing as the P-38 didn't actually do anti-shipping.

plan_D said:
For the Mosquitos roles, put all those minus the skis (Skis for Snow isn't a role.. ;) ) and then add Anti-Shipping. Seeing as the P-38 didn't actually do anti-shipping.

Yes, it did. It was the only fighter that could carry 2 torpedoes. They attacked axis shipping during the Battle of North Africa just after operation torch. They attacked ships, and air transports. The picture below shows the P-38 with 2 torpedoes. If that isn't anti-shipping, what is?

Attachments

• torpedo.jpg
    torpedo.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 466
I already knew it could carry torpedos. Air transports aren't ships...see, keyword 'AIR' . The Mosquito was doing anti-shipping in the Channel, North Sea, Atlantic...it did more Anti-shipping duties than the Lightning. The Lightning was hardly used.

Actually, it was used in North Africa against planes AND ships. It also was used quite a bit in the Pacific. I am not discounting the role the mosquito played, I am just pointing out that the lightning also did perform anti-shipping roles. Torpedoes aren't for AIR shipping, unless you are one hell of a shot! ;)

You might do, like drop it on them. It'd be an interesting kill. The Lightnings did do some anti-shipping but compared to the Mosquito, they did little.

Even by accident, I'd like to shake his hand and buy him a beer. Hell, I'm impressed with that -262 pilot who dropped a Mustang with R4/Ms.

Probably just wet himself and fired randomly into oncoming P-51s - "Mein GOD! Ich got ein" How the hell do you say got, in german?

plan_D said:
Probably just wet himself and fired randomly into oncoming P-51s - "Mein GOD! Ich got ein" How the hell do you say got, in german?

"Mein Got, Ich hab eine!"

I too did not think the P-38 could be used for anti shipping but it is true, I looked it up and found several websites that cover it. It was not much but still it fills the anti shipping role also.

P-38s attack vessels off the northern Tunisian coast

P-38s attack
ships off the north coast scoring a hit on one vessel

and there are many more accounts that can be read in this report
http://www.bralyn.net/etext/reference/history/wwii-af-ops.txt

I too am beginning to lead to the P-38 over the mossie. I still the Ju-88's diverstity made it the best multi role aircraft. Not the best aircraft but the best at adapting to different roles. But I think the P-38 has the mossie beat on this one.

evangilder said:
Agreed, they didn't do a lot, but they did do some, and were quite capable.

If there ever was an air to air kill with a torpedo, other than by accident, I'd like to shake that guys hand and buy him a beer!

I read an account once of a guy in a P-38 who shot down a Zero with a 500lb bomb...

He was bombing a Jap airbase, and totally missed and the bomb hit the water. Meanwhile, a scrambling Zero was taking off, and got caught in the blast of water the bomb had created and his plane ripped up.

Some kill ;)

I heard that story once before as well CC. Real lucky shot. Do you get a confirmed kill for that? I would guess you would as it was a shootdown, so to speak.

And yes, Adler, the P-38 was quite an airplane. That was the first airplane that I did a presentation for at the museum and so has some other nostalgia for me. I also think that was the first WWII airplane that I actually got to sit in the cockpit of. That's me in the P-38 for my avatar.

I know as soon as I finish all of my private single engine liscensing I want to buy an old WW2 era plane even if it is only a T-6 Texan. There is something about flying around in those old piston aircraft that I love. I am going to have to get a Steerman also. One of my best friends has one and it was such a great feeling to fly in an open cockpit bi-plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back