Best Aircraft in many different roles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

one of the reasons she was the worst was her lack of ceiling due to too short a wingspan, along with other reasons including a bomb bay not able to carry bombs bigger than 2,000lbs, the largest in production at the time..............

I would probably say because of a number of reasons. One she was the first one built specifically as a 4 engined bomber by the British. Until you figure it out there will always be kinks in it. Secondly because the Royal Air Force wanted so many changes made to the original design.

Strengths:

Excellent structure, able to absorb massive damage
Good handling during flight
Excellent weapons load, but only for short ranges
Adequate speed
Excellent maneuverability, also called 'The fighter bomber'.

Weaknesses:

Bad service ceiling
Inadequate range when fully bombed up
Unforgiving flight characteristics during take-off and landing

The P-47 can't make the list. It never served as a PR plane. The 190 deserves mention, the Corsair should be in their, perhaps the Spit (though it was poor at ground attack), and the P-51. It did start life (in the USAAF) as a dive-bomber after all.

I vote for the Corsair...

But just before we get into that, the Stirlings of No.7 Sqn. made the first landmark raid of 4 engined bombers, on 10/11 Feb. 1941 on Rotterdam...
Also, the Wellington was the first bomber to drop the 4,000 lb cookie, on a raid by No.'s 9 149 Sqn.'s in an attack on Emden, last night of March, 1941.....
So they did make a notable mark in history.....

The Corsair would've made an interesting difference if it had served in the ETO, I reckon.......

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._179.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._179.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 357

Users who are viewing this thread

Back