Best Aircraft in many different roles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have always loved the Fw-190 especially the Dora but it is not my fav and my fav will never change. Me-109G series.

Gemhorse said:
I suppose that the Fw-190 had it in terms of ALL the variants they used, it was indeed the best of German craftsmanship, testimony to that is Flugwerk making new ones now [get your order in today!!!]...
- But my personal feeling is that with the Corsair first flying around 1940 odd, it did end-up surprising alotta folk with it's robust performance and durability, it's armament, ordinance-carrying and dogfighting ability, and it's overall tour of duty, as they didn't stop making them until 1953...

Both were superb, and a credit to both Rex Beisel and Kurt Tank respectively, [and lately, Flugwerk...]

Actually, it's hard to choose between them...I chose the Corsair purely on patriotic grounds......

These guys really do have something going. I just got back an email from them. Here it is.

Dear Christopher,

thank you much for your intersting mail. As can be seen under the FW 190 button on our website, the cost for a complete Fw 190 kit is currently at Euro 555.000,- net, for more information please consult our website. The last remaining kit -out of twelve built sofar- can be obtained with immediate availability.

With ym best regards

FltCpt. Claus Colling
President
Flug Werk GmbH

And here is what the website says and some pictures of one that was sold to an American client .

Most all of the common interest is drawn upon the FW 190 project which Flug Werk started in June 1996. The first short flight was done on July 22nd '04 and we have made further on a row of very successful test flights.

As is natural with recreating such a complex aircraft, a few things needed fine-tuning, balancing and more investigation. To an extent of more than 95% we have achieved all of our design-goals without the need for any remedies.

Cooling of the engine and the engine oil was a major item on the list of verifying the FW 190 systems. In contrast to the original set-up, the oil-cooler is relocated from inside of the engine cowling to the new location under the upper gun-hood. This change will enhance oil- as well as engine-cooling and will not be discernible from the outside. The cooling fan is an operational unit which sports ground-adjustable blades. By changing the incidence of the fan-blades, the cooling system can receive a basic adjustment in order to cater for different climates in which the a/c will be flown and thus increase efficiency. The fan turns at the propeller rotational speed and is integrated into the spinner's back-plate.

Test-flights now proved the engine running too cool and that we need to incorporate a means to restrict the airflow through the oil-cooler in order to get the oil to its' most efficient temperature.

Also, due to the fact that the internal fueltanks are of welded sheet-metal design, their capacity has been greatly enlarged. The standard FW 190 A8/N holds two internal fuel-tanks, with a total amount of ~680 ltrs internal fuel.

The entire aircraft is about 450kg's lighter than the wartime counterpart, due to the omission of guns, ammunition, heavy radio equipment and the substitution of aluminum sheets for the steel armourplates.

The entire airframe is as close as 98% to the original, with some very minor deviations, where the use of more reliable ( and readily available ) systems dictated the fabrication of different brackets, to mount these items.

All twelve Flug Werk FW 190 A8/N do have original tail-wheel units with combat history. These units recently came out of a forgotten shelter ( !!!) and have been overhauled, including new manufactured inserts, allowing the use of modern seals, grinding and rechroming the dampeners' piston-rods. We have also been equipping the units with standard strut-valves, in order to assure serviceability all the world over.

Tyres and aluminum wheels are brand new and we make use of the Boeing 737-400 nose-gear tyre, which is affordable, readily available and the only tyre which will safely withstand the stress and strains of operating this aircraft from hard-covered runways. The bold original type tyre is not safe to operate.

Now here are some basic technical data covering the FW 190 A8/N :

Engine : Asch 82 "T" / 14 cylinders, 42 ltrs, 1900 hp
direct fuel injected engine

Propeller: MT-Propeller 3-blades, 330 cm diameter, constant speed, wooden composite blades

Wing: wingspan :10.50 mtr area : 18,30 mtr²

Fuselage: length: 9,10 mtr height : 3,95 mtr

Weights : empty weight : ~2.900 kg max. gross :~ 3.800 kg

Fuel Qty ~ 880 ltr
Oil Qty~ 60 ltr

Max Speed @ 635 km/h
20.000 ft

T/O speed 165 km/h, strictly three point attitude

Landing speed 185 km/h in landing configuration, three point attitude.

Cruise Speed @ 585 km/h
2.300 rpm

Initial Climb rate 4000 ft/min

Service ceiling 20.000 ft
practical (ATC)

Range 990 km w/. VFR reserves

The FW 190 A8/N is sold exclusively as a kit. It is the only warbird, offered in this form, being able to be registered as an amateur-homebuilt kit-plane. This will mean:

"fewer restrictions than with an original warbird and full product support for the plane".

You don't have to buy basic items ( iE. Canopy, wingtips, rudders, elevators etc. ) on the overly expensive "collectors market"... Flug Werk provides an AOG-service, where standard items are stocked. Should a mishap down one of our clients, most all parts are available by express shipping to any part of the world.

The kit does not include the following items:

VHF COM
XPDR and Encoder
Instruments ( we will supply you a list for all instruments needed, to equipp your FW 190 A8/N. Including those that have to be bought new, so they will work with the engine and specialized systems of our kit-aircraft, such as fuel-quantity, oil-temp, fuel-pressure, oil-pressure, prop-pitch and engine-rpm sensors and indicators)
Oxygensystem
electrical wiring looms, connectors or electrical installation material
RLM paint, stencils etc.
...your "Elbow Grease"......

The fast-build kit currently costs Euro 555.000,-

The 300 ltr droptank is another option at Euro 7.000,-
The rack to mount the tank is an option at Euro 2.500,-

For further inquiries please contact us under [email protected]

Don't bother asking about : fuel consumption, cost of maintenance etc...It is loud, it is fast, it is mean, but most of all it is fun and yes, it just has one seat !!!

The photos below show the splendid result of one of our clients in the USA.

It is the Fw 190 WNr. 173056 owned and restored by Mr. Don Hansen of Baton Rouge / Louisiana USA. In "real life" this particular Fw 190 served as "White 14 with I./JG 11…
http://www.flugwerk.de/new/fw190/fw190.shtm

There currently is one kit left available until more are made and from what I can tell the performance is lagging from an original Fw-190 but still it is quite amazing and would be neat to own one. They are also currently starting a Me-109 factory line. They will make Emils and Gustavs.

Attachments

• fw190_azeitler_22.jpg
    fw190_azeitler_22.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 525
  • g-mvc-027s.jpg
    g-mvc-027s.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 527
Hey Adler, awesome post on Flugwerk, man !...I'm wrapt you went and checked it out.- I first contacted Claus Colling about 18 mths ago, when I read somewhere about what he was doing...apparently some dipshits were emailing him and giving him a hard time. His partner had not long died from cancer, and getting the 'raw-prawn' from some yobbos out there really peeved me, so I emailed him to say I thought it was really great the work he was doing.....the Fw-190 is a truly remarkable aircraft of it's era, and I have consumate respect for ALL those involved in Warbird restoration. I look upon his aspect of work, exactly as I do for NZ's Glyn Powell, making new Mosquitos...Our Classic Wings magazine down here have been keeping us updated on both these developments....

Although I still vote the Corsair, as I said for patriotic reasons, it doesn't change my feeling about the superb engineering that have created some other aircraft..[even the P-38 !! ]....
- What happened 60 years ago in WWII was sorted-out by an earlier generation of our respective countrymen, and one can honour their efforts on the respective Anniversaries....It's like some people won't buy Japanese because of the War, which to me is a little silly...I love my Nissan Skyline turbo, it's a well-made car and goes like snot...I love V8's too, and had a couple over the years, but fuel prices make them too expensive to run...I can still give 'em all curry in my Skyline as it's only a 2 litre, plus it sounds nice and drives real good...
- Just being involved in WWII aircraft is one of my interests, I try not to get too hysterically passionate about what's already past, the Russians fizz me abit by their past duplicity, but y'know, the world's ever-changing, got to move with it.....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._367.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._367.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 483
I see things exactly the way you do. I have emense respect for those who are trying to restore or build new WW2 warbirds. It allows another generation to enjoy them. As for the people not wanted to let go of the past I can not stand that. As you said the world is changing and moving foward and we have to move with it. You dont see the US and England hating each other for the Revolutionary War do you? There are good people and bad people no matter where you go in this world and you just have to respect and understand there culture. Just learning a little bit about others cultures helps you understand them and you will see they are not much different from anyone else. As for the people sending bad emails to Claus, that is just ignorance. These people have nothing better to do with there time but push there own faults on others.

:lol: Be sure to use the Club, so it won't be stolen by some kids looking for a joyride!

I agree with evan. It may be a replica, but it's the next best thing to the real thing, and since they're not exactly being produced anymore...who cares?

I have a mental image of vets going and getting into Cessna light aircraft and hunting him down, then as they get close pulling out a pistol and shooting him down, then doing victory rolls :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back