Best Aircraft in many different roles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would not care if it is a replica, it is still a tribut to a bygone era and it would be better then flying the damn cessnas that I fly now. I am serious I am going to get me one eventually. Plus it is probably cheaper to maintain than an actual WW2 era plane, even though I would kill to have one of them too.

Yeah, Claus mentioned the Bf-109's when I emailed him, I'm chuffed he's going to do the E G models, they're my favourite versions....Have to be a big Lotto win for me to think of getting any!! ....but it will be a buzz to actually see them on the Airshow circuit, sooner or later...the Fw's have been advertised down here for a little while now, hopefully some loaded Kiwis' bought one......

When I get back home I am going to go and visit the factory and check it out. Plus hey I have an AP liscense maybe I can get a part time job helping out with the construction. That would be more than just eneough for me.

Okay let me rephrase that maybe I can get a part time hobby job or something help fixing the latest ones that they have built and alread flown. I can not really build new planes with an AP liscense.

The replicas are great! There arn't enough real ones any more and there'll never be more. Lots of P-51 replicas here, several in serial production. What sucks (don't get me wrong the P-51 is a great plane, my beef is that it gets far more credit than it deserves) :) is it's only real advantage in WWII was cost/buildability still exists today. The P-38 is so complex there are only a couple of replicas being built.

Are there any Spit replicas out there?

Adler, you should look into the CAF when you get back. They have alot of cool old birds and are always looking for APs. Depending on the chapter you choose, you could have some really interesting birds. I think we currenly have 9 flyables and 2 in restoration in our chapter.

I have read a lot on the CAF and even seen them at some airshows. I think it would be awesome to work on them. It would be a great hobby.

It is! I have been with the SoCal wing now for about 4 years. They have so many things that you can help with. Having the AP, you can get right in and help. I don't, so I have assisted with airplane maintenance occasionally, but I usually work on displays, dust artifact and airplanes, give tours and give monthly presentations. I asked where the greatest need was and went to it. It happened to be the museum buildout and displays, so that's where I focus my efforts.

Seeing how you have a good knack for finding out things on the web, you would probably be good for helping with displays and giving presentations as well. You have a great backgroud for the CAF and I am sure that any chapter would be glad to have you aboard. You will not find a greater group of guys to hang out with. I like to take my 3.5 year old son down there regularly to see and meet some of the WWII vets and younger guys. I can't think of a better group of guys for my son to look up to.

evangilder said:
It is! I have been with the SoCal wing now for about 4 years. They have so many things that you can help with. Having the AP, you can get right in and help. I don't, so I have assisted with airplane maintenance occasionally, but I usually work on displays, dust artifact and airplanes, give tours and give monthly presentations. I asked where the greatest need was and went to it. It happened to be the museum buildout and displays, so that's where I focus my efforts.

Seeing how you have a good knack for finding out things on the web, you would probably be good for helping with displays and giving presentations as well. You have a great backgroud for the CAF and I am sure that any chapter would be glad to have you aboard. You will not find a greater group of guys to hang out with. I like to take my 3.5 year old son down there regularly to see and meet some of the WWII vets and younger guys. I can't think of a better group of guys for my son to look up to.

Sorry that pretty damn cool post was for the 1/2 scale Fw-190 being built in southern california. Anyways yeah I would love to do something like that, the only problem would be that me and my wife really have no plans on moving back to the United States. We plan to stay in Europe. Do you know if there are any organizations like that in Europe?

Let me see what I can find out. I know that the CAF has a couple of supporter squadrons in Europe. There is a group in England that does aviation archeology and they have been digging up old bombers. They have another somewhere in the Northern part of Europe (Belgium, I think). You might also check with Erich, he seems to know alot of folks over in Germany.

Hey evan, that's really awesome taking your son there as well....and I truly applaud your involvement in such a worthy cause. You're quite lucky in the respect that you still have have aircraft and some vets in there too, these gentlemen are getting real scarce these days, and their stories are well worth listening to...
Also, many thanks for those extra Bearcat shots....

The US had [has] bases in Germany, so it's quite possible there's groups operating there for Adler to check-out...There is a definite growth occurring of groups in Europe seeking-out and restoring WWII aircraft, I wrote to one about the time I wrote Claus, that are restoring Kurt Tank's first successful creation, the Fw-189....But while you're in Iraq Adler, there is still some restorable aircraft floating around from Sadaam's early regime I've heard about, some Sea Furies are still there I believe, he had quite a few good aircraft that have been abandoned, getting the remains out OK is one thing, finding parts worldwide may not be too hard, there's many into collecting and trading.....Good stuff guys !!.........

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._152.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._152.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 422

Users who are viewing this thread

Back