Best anti-shipping aircraft? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

great kick butt pics Les ! another one guys

Attachments

• cag9y3k5_cc_152.jpg
    cag9y3k5_cc_152.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 468
Japanese frigate on March 29th 1945 under attack by 345th BG.

You can see a bomb dropped by the B25 about to hit the ship. You can also see the Japanese gun crews crouching by the guns.

A bomb dropped by the plane that took this pix has just finished exploding on the bridge area.

Theres another pix of this ship from a different angle that shows some dead/wounded sailors laying on the deck.

Attachments

• b25_vs_ship_1a_496.jpg
    b25_vs_ship_1a_496.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 485
Excellent pictures, les. I was quite shocked at those G4Ms flying that low. Really no room for error there. Great pictures, Erich, too!

plan_D said:
I was quite shocked at those G4Ms flying that low. Really no room for error there.

Those Betty's were attacking the fleet the day it invaded Guadalcanal. Several of them were shot down too. The burning fuel left on the ocean made it look like to the strike commander that his squadron had scored "many torpedo hits" on the fleet.

This was the first of many times when imprecise and false information was transmitted to the Imperial fleet HQ in Rabaul with disasterous results in planning. Not, to say the Allies had their blunders too.

Heres a Japanese corvette getting attacked yet again by the 345th BG. This was in the Tsushima Straights on Aug 8 1945.

Notice the plane has dropped its bomb way wide of the ship. Also note the gun crew in the front manning their gun.

Second pix is from a following plane which caught a bomb going off amidships. The Gun crew is still at their posts.

Attachments

• b25_vs_corvette_2a_155.jpg
    b25_vs_corvette_2a_155.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 393
  • b25_vs_corvette_1a_207.jpg
    b25_vs_corvette_1a_207.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 401
Not sure on this one, but didn't the FW Condor sink billions of tons of allied shipping, is that the best?

Also it looks nice and IIRC carried a HS294 8)

I don't think the allies ever had billions of tons of shipping to sink in the first place Sch-panzer but im staying with the Swordfish and a approximate tonnage based on monthly kill figures of very roughly, around 2 million tonnes total ( including subs and capital ships ) .

schwarzpanzer said:
Not sure on this one, but didn't the FW Condor sink billions of tons of allied shipping, is that the best?

Also it looks nice and IIRC carried a HS294 8)

If you want to include the ships sunk by subs and other German a/c that had been directed to convoys by the recon Fw200s, OK.

Im think in terms of UK billions KK 2 million million not 2 thousand million
but even then I dont think our merchant fleets ever had that tonnage of shipping of either amount.

thought I would throw this pic in. lower gunners position with the twin MG 81Z ~ Ju 88A ?

a little ebay scan

Attachments

• bf_1_b_105.jpg
    bf_1_b_105.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 313
I have never seen any concise, true figures of the amount of shipping sunk by the German Luftwaffe ............. it's anybody's guess

Attachments

• ea_1_b_752.jpg
    ea_1_b_752.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 284
Looks like it to me. Atleast it looks like the flame throwers in the pictures that I have in my book. I believe it was called the GERO FmW-51 Flame-thrower. The tubes led to supply tanks and each tank held 120 ltrs of Flammoel 19. It was a mixture of light and heavy coal-tar oil that was fired out of the tanks at 21 atmosphere nitrogen pressure. The project was discontinued by mid-1941 because it just did not work out they way they had hoped. The flame only reached out 40m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back