Best anti-shipping aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, so now that we have some interesting comments here, whats the 2nd rounds of comments for which was the anti-shipping plane of WW2?
B25
SBD
Mousie
Beaufighter
A20
Condor

ah no..........

Ju 290

Attachments

• ju2901_297.jpg
    ju2901_297.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 467
I know they used it for Maritime recon and that it was in the running for the Amerika Bomber program that never materialized. I have no info though on it being used to sink ships though. I believe though that it was used to search for convoys and then tell the U-Boots where the convoy was at.

I have a question for you Mosquito experts about its anti-shipping operations in the North Sea.

Did they go on daily (weather permitting) anti-shipping patrols, or did they only go after shipping when they knew a convoy was operating.

The 5th and 13th AF often went on regular patrols just to sink any barges they might come across.

To my knowledge, both....The occupied country's resistance-movements kept British High Command up to date with the German shipping, and there was extensive mining-ops carried out as well...mostly the Strike Wings' attacked on information received though....

A total of 4,786 British merchant ships and fishing vessels were sunk by subs, mines, surface craft, aircraft and 'unknown causes'...as stated, aircraft-figures alone are elusive here.....
Roughly 52,000 RN sailors died in action, and 31,000 British Merchant Navy seamen....
A total of 10,600,000 personnel were moved around the world in troopships during the War, and of these, only 2,978 lost their lives at sea.

Many thanks for presenting those awesome action-shots guys, bloody superb !!!!.....

IMHO, the B-25 Dauntless were the PTO's best....and Beaufighters....
- ETO, the Mosquito and Beaufighter, the latter had to be a refinement of the Beaufighter at this task, being a little faster and more manoeuverable, both as heavily-armed and with a few 'Tse-tse's' as well...

The Fw-200 was really more a reconn to bring the U-boats in, or if within land-range, Luftwaffe bombers.....Although heavily-armed, they appear to have only attacked vulnerable targets, and with the advent of the Cam ships, which put up a Hurricane, they would try to avoid aerial combat....afterall, they were only airliners with guns and were quite structurally vulnerable...As Coastal Command got more aircraft to support convoys, Condors' kept out of their way....

Gemhorse

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._540.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._540.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 413
evangilder wrote:

Both the G and H models of the B-25 carried the 75mm cannon. Due to it's low rate of fire, it wasn't as effective as it could have been. It had a low rate of fire because it was hand loaded by a loader who sat behind and below the cockpit

Isn't that the one that de-torqued all the bolts on the plane? :shock:

Some Ju88's carried 75mm cannons for anti-tank work, did maritime versions also?

Gemhorse said:

The Fw-200 was really more a reconn to bring the U-boats in, or if within land-range, Luftwaffe bombers.....Although heavily-armed, they appear to have only attacked vulnerable targets, Gemhorse

Thats partially because there main targets were convoy ships.

I dont really think anyone except for the allies would have the true figures for there tonnage lost and the real question is where to find that. For German tonnage lost I am pretty sure that is lost unless it is in the Bundesarchives.

I never heard of the B25 operated in that role either (in the MTO). I think all of the B25's operated in Europe were used strictly as medium altitude bombers. Only the PTO/CBI got the strafer versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back