best combination of manuverabilty and speed in an allied...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I go with the Spitfire, not sure which model yet, have to think about it, but I would go as far as saying the Spitfire was the most maueverable and it had pretty impressive speed as well. After that I would go with the P-38.

I dont know, I think the P-80 is a good choice however I think the Spitfire had the better combination of both speed and maneuverability.

Ill agree with you that the Corsair was a great aircraft, but there was not much that coudl turn with a Spit and the dive problems were fixed on the late model spits.

Gnomey said:
I would say it was the Spitfire followed by the P-38 or the F-4U. As for the version of the Spitfire I would go for one of the later war versions, probably the MKXIV, although others were also good.

I can see that, except at very low speeds where the P-38 doesn't have to worry about the stall.

wmaxt

Mk VIII Spitfire with a Merlin tuned to "Basta" modification (+ 25 lbs boost). Only a couple of squadrons worth converted before the end of the war, but it was an absloute ball tearer down low.

Not as fast as the later Mk XIV but still pretty ferocious and probably a tad more manouverable in the turn. RAF testing had it doing 362 mph at 0 feet, 409 mph at 14,000 feet and 405 mph at 25,000 feet.

The climb rate was phenomenal though. 5,580 feet/minute at 0 feet and it held a 5000 fpm climb rate up to 11,000 feet. It was still doing over 4,000 feet per minute at 17,500 feet!

Next choice is an odd one, but it's the P-51A/Mustang II. Not a high altitude fighter, but below 15,000 feet it beats the Typhoon and FW-190 for sheer speed and manouverability. Very good alieron roll, reasonable climb (4,600 fpm off the deck) and capable of doing 409 mph at 11,000 feet!

Jabberwocky said:
Mk VIII Spitfire with a Merlin tuned to "Basta" modification (+ 25 lbs boost). Only a couple of squadrons worth converted before the end of the war, but it was an absloute ball tearer down low.

Not as fast as the later Mk XIV but still pretty ferocious and probably a tad more manouverable in the turn. RAF testing had it doing 362 mph at 0 feet, 409 mph at 14,000 feet and 405 mph at 25,000 feet.

The climb rate was phenomenal though. 5,580 feet/minute at 0 feet and it held a 5000 fpm climb rate up to 11,000 feet. It was still doing over 4,000 feet per minute at 17,500 feet!

Next choice is an odd one, but it's the P-51A/Mustang II. Not a high altitude fighter, but below 15,000 feet it beats the Typhoon and FW-190 for sheer speed and manouverability. Very good alieron roll, reasonable climb (4,600 fpm off the deck) and capable of doing 409 mph at 11,000 feet!

British testing of planes during WWII was not that very reliable to say the least. The testings they carried out with the scarce Bf 109s they managed to capture during the war substantiate this claim:

(a) first some testings with a Bf 109 F-4, and

(b) later on the tests with a Bf 109 G-6/R6 of JG 300 fitted with underwing gondolas for bomber hunting affairs.

All tests full of mistakes and speculations.

Why did they only convert two squadrons with such a magnificent Mk. VIII?

Correct, the Mk. XIV was faster than the Mk. VIII, but how many of this particular -faster- model were ever made?

8) Jet age rules!
I would like to staywith the P-80, it´s definetely not the best maneuvering plane but it was the fastest (and even had a reasonable agility) by much.
However if we exclude the jets, my next favourite would be the F8 Bearcat closely followed by the wonderful Spitfire (MK IVX)...

I think you will find that 1,658 Spit VIII;s were built. It was stronger than the Spit IX, had a longer range and was standard issue in the Far East.

As an aside why does everyone thnk that the British were bad at testing aircraft.
We had more reason than most to test planes properly, had the gumption to set up the worlds first test pilot school in 1942 and set up standard testing criteria to ensure a level playing field.
There were a number of 109's tested from the E onwards so I don't know where scarce came from.

People don't, Glider, Udet does. He has this unhealthy dislike of the British military system during World War II. Even more to the point he dislikes the Spitfire, he cannot believe that something so good could have come from the Allied forces. After all, we are talking about a person who believes 90% of the war stories are Allied propaganda - hell, maybe he thinks Germany won the war and we've got Iraqs propaganda minister working for us.

"The Allies have not entered Berlin!"

Berlin_Victory_Parade.jpg

I would go with the P-51H if it made the war. I would like the Typhoon or the Tempest down low and a high flying spit.

would have blasted the hell out of those mustangs, and the me262s would blast the bombers....

anyways why is ur siggy always about shot up luftwaffe planes or something?

lesofprimus said:
I'm taking a different route and suggesting the Ta-152H... At the altitude it was designed to fight at it was unmatched... Even the best Russian fighters couldnt match it at low altitude....
I did not know the Ta152H was an Allied a/c.

Up to 20k the Tempest was 'unbeatable' and 4 20mm helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back