Best Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

im pretty active but i dont write much beacuse im kinda lazy ](*,) and usually no one answers or i have no further commentary and we need a tounge out smiley!!!!!!

C-47 said:
I prefer to use surnames, so Cheddar Cheese is Cheese, and Hot Space is Space. So. . .The Lancaster Kicks Ass would be--mm, I've been warned about swearing.
The in-line 12-cylinder Rolls-Royce Merlin engine that gives the Spitfire its sweet profile, and its successor the P-51, as well, looks doltish hanging under the wings of a bomber. The radial engine, on the other hand, mounted on the leading edge of the wings of the B-25 and the B-17 really looks good. That's what a bomber ought to look like. The B-29 is the supreme example of the form. Balanced like a fine Swiss watch. Whenever I watch the film "The Dambusters," I think those poor guys, having to fly in an ugly-a** plane like that. (Sorry, Space, but I believe in calling spayed spayed.) No wonder they flew their missions at night, they didn't want to be seen. They were too embarassed. And that tail assembly, what's up with that? If you want to see twin booms done right, take a look at the B-25.

8) :D

Hot Space

Best all round fighter of WW2 : Focke-Wulf 190 , all marques (includes TA152 / 153).

2nds, Me 109 (all marques) ; Spitfire (all marques) ; Mustang ; Corsair ; Ki-61 Hien ; Zero ; Hurricane (all marques) ; Tempest ; Yak 9d ; Macchi C.202 / 205 ; Fiat G.55 ; Reggiane Re 2002-2005 ;

Comments?

Kiwimac

This site rules! i've never seen one like it and i think its a fantastic oppurtunity for enthusiasts to talk about this stuff! otherwise we just bore our friends! i like the number of people on here - they are all intelligent and have something genuine to say. we don't want to many people like you say or it gets overcrowded, i like it the way it is and cheddar cheese...you know more about this stuff than you give yourself credit for

why thankyou 8) id like to see an example of my intelligence though 8)

The remarks you made on the Gladiator page were pretty intelligent (i'm afraid i'm slightly biased though :lol:)

But if you're into this kinda stuff you're obviously an intelligent kinda guy, the same as the rest of us otherwise you'd just be talking b******* the whole time wouldn't you? [/quote]

I don't really think it matters at all what the bloody bombers LOOKED like, it could be the ugliest plane on the planet (Like the Avro Lancaster for instance :lol: ) and still do its job!

In fact, if the Italian aircraft manufacturers paid more attention to performance rather than looks (shock, horror) they might have actually built a few decent aircraft

P.S before i get any hate-mail, that stab at the Lancaster was a joke! I love the old bird too :eek:

bronzewhaler82 said:
I don't really think it matters at all what the bloody bombers LOOKED like, it could be the ugliest plane on the planet (Like the Avro Lancaster for instance :lol: ) and still do its job!

In fact, if the Italian aircraft manufacturers paid more attention to performance rather than looks (shock, horror) they might have actually built a few decent aircraft

P.S before i get any hate-mail, that stab at the Lancaster was a joke! I love the old bird too :eek:

good save at the end there :D

I don't really think it matters at all what the bloody bombers LOOKED like, it could be the ugliest plane on the planet (Like the Avro Lancaster for instance ) and still do its job!

:lol: i think the He111 is decidely more ugly than the Lanc..so is the Grief..the Whitley..Hampden..the B24...put the Lanc in amongst those and she is a pin up girl 8) IMHO i think the Lanc has classic lines(as of corse the b17 )it looks extremely purposeful .

Regards the best fighter..flippin heck...too many choices..all in different theatres ..different time periods.If i had to go back and i had a choice..the spit would be my choice..what model would depend on what time period-the fw190 series is superb too as is the 109 and also the Hurricane..and yeah the mossie is a sweet thing.

;)

first england sucks second i think the p -51 d mustang was the best because it was the fastest built propeller plane at that time with a top speed of 448 mph second. how could you pick the the hurricane the armer on those planes are week you were easly shot out of the shy ps im 71 i was shipped two england in ww2 i flew the hurricane i sent back to the us in 1944 the sent me to the phillapenes on air base i flew th p-51d mustang i shot down 15 enemy air planes in the philapenes and in england i shot down 12 geman planes .

spit10.gif

poor ole Hurri :cry: she was a lovely plane and without her the BoB was a lost affair..so i think she at least deserves a mention in the dispatches 8) and also the fact that it flew to the end- and had a huge hand in the north african campaign ..was launched from ships amongst many different endeavours.It was an immensly rugged airframe that pilots learnt to trust and love ..and that in itslef puts it on the list.
The Hurricane is easily overlooked..the old girl produced a lot of aces and is only forgotten (By some)for reason of the sweet lines of the Spit and the myth that it won the battle of the britian ..and if you claim to be who you are im sure you would not have started your sentence how you did. :shock:

cheers :sunny:

Anonymous said:
first england sucks second i think the p -51 d mustang was the best because it was the fastest built propeller plane at that time with a top speed of 448 mph second. how could you pick the the hurricane the armer on those planes are week you were easly shot out of the shy ps im 71 i was shipped two england in ww2 i flew the hurricane i sent back to the us in 1944 the sent me to the phillapenes on air base i flew th p-51d mustang i shot down 15 enemy air planes in the philapenes and in england i shot down 12 geman planes .

Not really, M8. The Spit XIV was just as fast and so was the Tempest V and the Spit PR XIX could do 460m.p.h :shock:

Hot Space

The Hurri was a damn fine machine. It was, unlike the Spit or FTM the P51-D a multi-role machine. There was little the Hurri could not do and do well. Unlike the Spit it could take enormous punishment and keep flying, it was NOT a fighter in the same class as the Spit but, rather like the SE5A in WW1, was a fine machine overshadowed by a true dogfighter's plane.

hurrcne3.jpg

hurrcne4.jpg

hurrcne2.jpg

hurrcne1.jpg

As well read what the site I got the pictures from has to say about the hurri.

http://www.aviation-history.com/hawker/hurrcane.html

Interestingly enough those who flew BOTH spits and Hurris generally have a soft spot for the Hurricane.

Kiwimac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back