Best Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How much success did the Luftwaffe have with these single seat night fighters?

very much hit and miss. It appears that only the faster versions of the Bf 109G could catch the Mossie LSNF until in 1945 when Kommando Welter used the Me 262A-1a, but even then determining which of the 8 routes the LSNF was to take twoards Berlin and retreating back to England.

I don't know if I would say they had a distinct advantage. From what I have read the electronic war at night was very much back and forth. For example, Window limited the effectiveness of German radar so the Germans developed radar transmitting on less-effected frequincies and devices to home on H2S and Monica. Then the British started using these devices less. What ultimately made bombers a safer place to live was the invasion pushing the German radar stations and fighter bases further and further back.

I have more images I will share a bit later. Actually Wilde Sau was successful and needed as the Window and jamming during July of 43 countered any existing German airborne radar units. so a Frei-jagd (free-hunt) was to be the norm and not just for the single engine fighters of JG's 300-302. Twin engine NJG's though arrayed with the aerials used the crewmen's eyes and followed searchlight lanes to attack RAF bombers.

The problem with the Wilde Sau single engine pilots is that the fighters were not a good propositon to land by at night and most of the fatalities involved taking off, landing and engine failures leading to death.........

E ~, more later.............

oh what the heck..........

Fritz Krause of 1./NJGr 10 and his Neptun FuG 217J-1 equipped Fw 190A-6. Weiße 11.

enjoy guys !

Attachments

• fw190n-03.jpg
    fw190n-03.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 95
told me what ? do you know Fritz as he is still alive ? and do you have detailed information on the FuG 217 and 218 radar set ups used by single engine nf's of the Luftwaffe.......... ?

curious to your statement lanc

E ~

yes, it's english humour, you'll learn not to take everything i say seriously soon enough..............

That wasn't English humour, that was Lanc humour, there's a distinct difference.

That argument met a dead end long ago, if you want to carry it on take it to the P-38 Vs. Mosquito thread. The P-38 was the better fighter of the two, and the Mosquito was the better bomber. The Spitfire Mk.XIV was the best dogfighter though. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back