Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would vote for the P51D based on the fact that within approx. 9 months of it's introduction into the ETO the Luftwaffe was effectively destroyed...by Mustangs. The P51 also allowed the US 8th AF bomber raids to have the full effect desired, and after the P51 was introduced bomber crew casualties plummeted. If i could choose only one fighter from WWII to build an airforce with, it would be the Mustang (2nd place would be the P38 for it's sheer versatility).

So is the Piper Cub...

Because I flew one last week (my preferred plane, esp off grass). And because nearly all US WW2 guys soloed in them.

Wherever you land in one (esp at fly-in of some sort), in ones and twos, guys in their 80s will walk up quietly and stare. If I have the time or the fuel, I will offer to take them up. They usually decline (is it me?:shock: ), but I usually get some good stories out of it.

It's very cool and a privilege.

The only semi-downer is that to start the Cub, somebody needs to hand-prop the airplane. Not hard but you do need to be somewhat agile. Get ready to leave and one of these guys always offers to "prop" me. Hmmmm. 1) Yer my hero. 2) I don't want to insult you. 3) I don't want you to lose balance and trip into my propeller.

It's an issue. Serious.

The C-47 without a shadow of a doubt, without solid logistics there cant be victory!

Honourable mention to the PBY Catalina for being the workhorse of so many nations, in many different roles!

Because I flew one last week (my preferred plane, esp off grass). And because nearly all US WW2 guys soloed in them.

Wherever you land in one (esp at fly-in of some sort), in ones and twos, guys in their 80s will walk up quietly and stare. If I have the time or the fuel, I will offer to take them up. They usually decline (is it me?:shock: ), but I usually get some good stories out of it.

It's very cool and a privilege.

The only semi-downer is that to start the Cub, somebody needs to hand-prop the airplane. Not hard but you do need to be somewhat agile. Get ready to leave and one of these guys always offers to "prop" me. Hmmmm. 1) Yer my hero. 2) I don't want to insult you. 3) I don't want you to lose balance and trip into my propeller.

It's an issue. Serious.

I just put back together a 46 Cub. I hand prop it all the time by myself.

I just put back together a 46 Cub. I hand prop it all the time by myself.

Me too, if there is no one around (FAA could be anywhere). I suppose we do the same thing: if cold, tie-off the tail to something. If hot, straddle the right gear and pull her from behind. Such a natural motion doing it that way. I have done it that way cold (primed) when on grass, but don't tell :)

I had a semi-close call propping a plane years ago and so maybe I am over diligent... Ok, short reminiscence coming on, please indulge:

In college I lived in/above the terminal of the university's airport. Lineman on weekdays (gassing school trainers then putting em in the hangars) arprt manager on weekends in exchange for a few bucks but FREE rooming above the terminal/main hangar. Whole thing was built by the Navy in 42 (initial and secondary training) and the upstairs had been classrooms, now 3 huge bedrooms. Here is the cool part: on the SW corner of the building was my room and above it, via a wall ladder and trapdoor, was the old control tower. All glass and a windows-level platform with a mattress on it. Could see into the next state and I used to sometimes sleep up there. It was heaven and I knew it. Thanks for the indulgence, but it does set the scene....

So there was this guy who hangared a Mooney there. I liked him since he used to give me stick time in it (he was an avionics rep). One day he calls ahead that he is in a big hurry and can I pull the plane for him. He shows up and the battery is @ about 10% because he left something on (Master Off? , I dunno but true). He REALLY has to go, can I prop him? If I recall it was 225-245 hp. He says he has seen it done (he knows my switch)....

1) Hands flat on blade would not do it; I had to curl fingers around the trailing edge. Hmmm, 3-blade prop. Seemed like a bad time to curl fingers...2) Needed the leverage, so had to grab it pretty far out. This is a big prop, so now I am pulling through a pretty big arc. 3) As I am sure you know, Moonys (Moonies?) sit very low. So pulling this thing far out on the blade, through a big arc (finishing very low), fingers behind, use lots of ass and end up upper body below horizontal. Up to letting go of the blade, this is all part of some sort of forward flip/somersault, which you have to immediately arrest and go backwards. We tried it a few times mags cold and no prime and it's a damn good thing. End of story was got it started, but anyone who hand-props a full size Mooney is an idiot.

Well, that was off topic enough. Sorry.

Me too, if there is no one around (FAA could be anywhere). I suppose we do the same thing: if cold, tie-off the tail to something. If hot, straddle the right gear and pull her from behind. Such a natural motion doing it that way. I have done it that way cold (primed) when on grass, but don't tell :)

I had a semi-close call propping a plane years ago and so maybe I am over diligent... Ok, short reminiscence coming on, please indulge:

In college I lived in/above the terminal of the university's airport. Lineman on weekdays (gassing school trainers then putting em in the hangars) arprt manager on weekends in exchange for a few bucks but FREE rooming above the terminal/main hangar. Whole thing was built by the Navy in 42 (initial and secondary training) and the upstairs had been classrooms, now 3 huge bedrooms. Here is the cool part: on the SW corner of the building was my room and above it, via a wall ladder and trapdoor, was the old control tower. All glass and a windows-level platform with a mattress on it. Could see into the next state and I used to sometimes sleep up there. It was heaven and I knew it. Thanks for the indulgence, but it does set the scene....

So there was this guy who hangared a Mooney there. I liked him since he used to give me stick time in it (he was an avionics rep). One day he calls ahead that he is in a big hurry and can I pull the plane for him. He shows up and the battery is @ about 10% because he left something on (Master Off? , I dunno but true). He REALLY has to go, can I prop him? If I recall it was 225-245 hp. He says he has seen it done (he knows my switch)....

1) Hands flat on blade would not do it; I had to curl fingers around the trailing edge. Hmmm, 3-blade prop. Seemed like a bad time to curl fingers...2) Needed the leverage, so had to grab it pretty far out. This is a big prop, so now I am pulling through a pretty big arc. 3) As I am sure you know, Moonys (Moonies?) sit very low. So pulling this thing far out on the blade, through a big arc (finishing very low), fingers behind, use lots of ass and end up upper body below horizontal. Up to letting go of the blade, this is all part of some sort of forward flip/somersault, which you have to immediately arrest and go backwards. We tried it a few times mags cold and no prime and it's a damn good thing. End of story was got it started, but anyone who hand-props a full size Mooney is an idiot.

Well, that was off topic enough. Sorry.

Great info! I've hand propped a C-182, tough but do-able.

As far as the Feds - we discussed this on another site. There's really nothing preventing you from handproping by yourself - "unless you operate the aircraft in an unsafe manner." Considering the aircraft doesn't have a starter and there's never been an AD, Service Bulletin or TC addendum to mandate 2 people to start a Cub, this is one argument I'd go toe-to-toe with a PMI if he ever showed up at my local airport, providing I didn't fall on my butt while starting the airplane and have it plow into a hangar!

With that said I have two methods - as you said, stand behind the prop and pull it through. Should you slip or the aircraft lurch, at least you're out of the way and close enough to the cockpit to take action.

In hand propping from the front - I just make sure the throttle barely opened. the bird I've been working on has about 3 hours on the engine, starts up real easy and idles perfect so even with the throttle at "full idle" I know it isn't going to lurch forward.

Oh, and did I mention I also make sure it's chocked on the right main?

I gotta remember your Mooney story - I think I might have been dumb enough to prop one if asked! :oops:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 39
Great info! I've hand propped a C-182, tough but do-able.

As far as the Feds - we discussed this on another site. There's really nothing preventing you from handproping by yourself - "unless you operate the aircraft in an unsafe manner." Considering the aircraft doesn't have a starter and there's never been an AD, Service Bulletin or TC addendum to mandate 2 people to start a Cub, this is one argument I'd go toe-to-toe with a PMI if he ever showed up at my local airport, providing I didn't fall on my butt while starting the airplane and have it plow into a hangar!

With that said I have two methods - as you said, stand behind the prop and pull it through. Should you slip or the aircraft lurch, at least you're out of the way and close enough to the cockpit to take action.

In hand propping from the front - I just make sure the throttle barely opened. the bird I've been working on has about 3 hours on the engine, starts up real easy and idles perfect so even with the throttle at "full idle" I know it isn't going to lurch forward.

Oh, and did I mention I also make sure it's chocked on the right main?

I gotta remember your Mooney story - I think I might have been dumb enough to prop one if asked! :oops:

Agree on the FAA, but you know how that goes: if it goes wrong, then you were therefore unsafe and thus in violation. If it goes fine, then you always knew what you were doing and a credit to mankind. You tell this to people without a ticket and it's always, "Really?". Pretty much how it is.

The Cub I fly now and the other half-dozen over the years all started pretty much the same and like you point out; pretty easily*. Esp warm or even just run in the last 24hrs, and all this always better if the air temp is over 70s. But when it's been a few days and air temp is the lower 60s to 30's, she wants 2 or 3 or ? primer shots. Then, regardless of how tight the throttle, you get that "primer blast" for 2-4 seconds after she catches. Even tied down, it's a little more business than you want with no one in the cockpit. On pavement with only a chock(s).... :D

What goes on in YOUR mind when you are saying the following: "OK, just keep pressing your heels on those brakes, don't let up till I am in the plane and tell you to, and remember; when it catches, pull the throttle BACK. Show me BACK... OK fine, here we go..."

I think: "If my last moments are ever on YouTube, this is it."

* Self flagellation moment: The one time a Cub was truly hard to start, it was trying to tell me something and I would not listen. Was hard to start and though the mags carbheat checked, it wasn't real happy below 1000rpm. Didn't listen. Shot a few patterns and below about 1/4 throttle sounded and felt like I had kicked off the mags. Didn't listen.

Headed off to destination. Hey, its 10 minutes away and mostly rural; why climb above 700ft agl? Yes, we all know why; but it won't happen to me.... First came the vibration, then became severe, had to keep cutting power because the max tolerable rpm kept dropping. Not ignition, not carb ice... turned out the base studs for the #4 jug were breaking. Ended up deadsticking, but that another story. Point is/was, when ya know a plane's habits and she acts differently, listen. Not preaching, but turning myself in. Thought of it when typing above about Cubs always being easy to start. "Well, 'cept this one time...."

Attachments

• Photo_071008_050.jpg
    Photo_071008_050.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Photo_071008_062.jpg
    Photo_071008_062.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 47
Great stuff and pretty airplane - is that a Maule Tail Wheel?

Don't know. Not mine, shared and I was a latecomer.

In 3-point is too easy to touch tailwheel first and so on grass makes perfect full-stall 3-point all but impossible. Slows things down a bit on pavement, though, which I suppose is a good thing for some.

I can't complain. Primary is a A&E and a CFI. I run no fees and $40/hr wet (autogas waiver helps there). Hourmeter is rpm counter type. Just tooling around and running 2000 rpm, I can get 1.3 clock hours for every hr of tach time. Like I said, no complaints.

Don't know. Not mine, shared and I was a latecomer.

In 3-point is too easy to touch tailwheel first and so on grass makes perfect full-stall 3-point all but impossible. Slows things down a bit on pavement, though, which I suppose is a good thing for some.

I can't complain. Primary is a A&E and a CFI. I run no fees and $40/hr wet (autogas waiver helps there). Hourmeter is rpm counter type. Just tooling around and running 2000 rpm, I can get 1.3 clock hours for every hr of tach time. Like I said, no complaints.
Sounds like fun and for $40 an hour, can't go wrong.

The one I've been working on hasn't flown since the early 80s. I put it back together for the owner. Here's the full story.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/off-topic-misc/project-7424.html

I ran it down the runway last week. A few more high speed taxis and I'm going to get her in the air

How about the U-2/Po-2? More than 40,000 were produced. It was not only the aircraft that trained the VVS during the war, it was also used in combat for nuisance bombing on the German front lines. The 588th NBAP performed 24,000 combat sorties in them. Granted, they weren't exactly B-17's, but somebody had to keep the Wehrmacht from getting a good night's sleep :lol: It would later serve in this same capacity for the North Koreans during the Korean war. So, for the number built, the training capacity, the limited bombing capacity, and the duration of service, I think the old kukuruznik ranks right up there.

But, to be fair, neither does flying around loaded up with packing crates, that stuff has to be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back