PB your comments about the US not responding are again comparing apples and oranges. The EP-3 going down with the US' primary trading partner, 6th largest economy on the planet, and one of the world's primary military powers is not the same. The UK is the 5th largest economic engine on earth. And it is scared of Iran? Whom 40% are below the poverty line, is run by a despot theocracy, and whose economic ranking is WAY in the double digits is quite telling.
The Chinese coughed up our boys in 11 days. They did not parade them around in Confucius uniforms like Iran, force video confessions of guilt like Iran, exact written statements of Chinese superiority like Iran, nor provide smug condemnations of world opinion like Iran. At least those commie ***holes have some honor.
Iran on the other side, appears to only reckon with force. I'm not advocating Iranian casualties...yet. Rather, a consolidated EU set of sanctions, some destruction of their naval assets to prevent them from doing this again, and some pain inflicted upon their gov't by disabling their primary naval port facilities.
What does trouble me is that this may result in 15 casualties. However, since my statements are "as if I were Prime Minister" I also must weigh the cost versus the repercussions (benefits). No leader wishes to condemn their people to death, but God****it, at some point in time the Commonwealth's well-being must outweigh a single tactical deployment. And only a man who is not vying for political office can make those types of decisions.
There. I said it.