British Sailors seized by Iran.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I dont know what the EU response is going to be but I know that the German Chancellor has stepped up and condemned the incidents and called for the immediate release of the Brits and pledged support (what that support would be I do not know since Germany can not conduct offensive operations such as an invasion or so forth based off the consitution.)

Great question. Does the EU have any capacity to do anything. Once you get past the RN and the Charles De Gaul, what kind of power projection do they have? And would you get all the countries (27?) on board for this thing?

Tim, you had a post a couple of days ago about the Democrat party in Congress and I thought you hit the nail on the head. Matt, your idea of an ultimatum and then action which is then turned up in intensity if the proper resonse is not received is excellent. It is time to teach the Muslim world how the cow ate the cabbage. As to causing more upheaval in the Middle East, it can't get much worse than it already is. We will pay a price in oil prices but probably only short term. If Blair decides to do the necessary, he will get plenty of support from George W and the devil with the Dems and their Pelosis and her ilk.

US (Iraq) is holding 5 Iranian Republican Guards suspected of training/participating in terrorist acts in Iraq. I have not read any specifics other than they were apparently caught red handed.

UK has not missed their window yet. It will take some decent assets and planning (which should have been done already for such a contingency) to put together a proper military response. However, in the mean time the EU is Iran's largest trading partner. Let's see if the EU can provide a consolidated response on behalf of one of their own. :rolleyes: I know. Not likely.

Issue a 24hr ultimatum for release. Failure to comply, kick the Iranian rep out of the country with 5 mins to pack his ****. Simultaneous strikes against all Iranian naval assets and use Tornados loaded with Storm Shadow cruise missiles on port facilities. Then issue another 24hr ultimatum and ignore world pleas for negotiation.

Agree ultimatum NOW.

I guess some of the NATO countries should will have to buck up Germany France Belgium and some of our newer buddies if Cruise missles are launched
I don't think we have the assets to deal with another conflict . Canada could and probably would supply air assets and the Navy would be a possibility but the combat arms types would be in short supply

it might be of note : Persia has only 1 working oil refinery. send her an ultimatum if they do not comply then send them back to the stone age ........ :idea:

it might be of note : Persia has only 1 working oil refinery. send her an ultimatum if they do not comply then send them back to the stone age ........ :idea:

Now that would put a hurt on them. And you don't have to make it obvious. A refinery is so technical that knocking it off line with an explosion here or there (nontraceable, of course) would be pretty simple.

Turn up the heat on them.

Good idea Erich, good thinking.

I believe the Royal Navy should mobilise its assets and sail a combat fleet into Iranian waters blockading all their ports. Then tell Iran that British personnel are in their waters now, what are they going to do about it?

Then order the release or the Iranian "navy" will be destroyed with its ports, oil facilities will be wrecked and Tornado's will be busting up any nuclear technology. This doesn't need to be an invasion, so the military assets do not need to be large. We shouldn't plan on an occupation so massive manpower is not required. Just hit the country to its knees then back away.

I like that, d. Keep the risks to the friendlies at a minimum and to the bad guys at a maximum. Now if we could only give Tony Blair the balls that Margaret Thatcher has.

Lord Palmerston knew what to do.

Gunboat diplomacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a celebrated speech to Parliament in 1850, Palmerston said: "As a Roman, in days of old, held himself free of indignity when he could say Civis Romanus sum, 'I am a Roman citizen', so also a British subject, in whatever land he may be, shall feel confident that the watchful eye and the strong arm of England will protect him from injustice and wrong.""

I believe the Royal Navy should mobilise its assets and sail a combat fleet into Iranian waters blockading all their ports. Then tell Iran that British personnel are in their waters now, what are they going to do about it?

Then order the release or the Iranian "navy" will be destroyed with its ports, oil facilities will be wrecked and Tornado's will be busting up any nuclear technology. This doesn't need to be an invasion, so the military assets do not need to be large. We shouldn't plan on an occupation so massive manpower is not required. Just hit the country to its knees then back away.

I concur. Now why aren't enough Brits thinking like this. The reaction in the news is amazing... some blaming the brits. It's like apologizing to someone for hitting their fist with your face. As Toby Keith says in one of his songs, "it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you..." That is what I want to see. It's more dangerous to not.

Great question. Does the EU have any capacity to do anything. Once you get past the RN and the Charles De Gaul, what kind of power projection do they have? And would you get all the countries (27?) on board for this thing?

No you will never get them all together.

Germany is not allowed to go to war due to the constitution that was set after WW2. They can support in non combat roles but that is it. (it would be differently if a NATO country were invaded by an outsider then they could help defend due to the treaty, but they can not offensively go outside of Germany or EU/NATO borders.)

France will never agree with anything that has to do with its EU partners. They are stuck up and unreliable. If it does not make money for them (ie selling weapons to NATOs enemies) they are not for it.

Italy I do not think would get involved because of Iraq. The people are against sending troops to foriegn locations. They would not allow there gov. to do so.

Nobody else really has much of a military might to project. Poland might help out because they are trying to get in good with the US and England and the rest of NATO at the moment.

Kinda thought so. Bummer. EU has the capacity (in terms of industry), the population and the know how. But I guess getting all those countries on the same page is about the same as herding cats.

Just not gonna happen.

I concur. Now why aren't enough Brits thinking like this. The reaction in the news is amazing... some blaming the brits. It's like apologizing to someone for hitting their fist with your face. As Toby Keith says in one of his songs, "it'll feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you..." That is what I want to see. It's more dangerous to not.

Because we're not all stupid...

Just how would this suggestion get those sailors back... or is that a secondary concern to just smacking a few ragheads ?

Are we suddenly expecting the Iranians and the Muslim world to suddenly become reasonable because we've blown up their citizens.. ?

Now I don't know the answer, but I'm sure that an out and out fist fight live on CNN isn't it either... We Brits are a bit more subtle than that and I'd like to think that our leaders first thoughts are about getting those sailors home to their families and if that means lieing through our teath on TV, making some bullshit apology then that's what needs to be done. When that's acheived we'll make our true feelings known to em.... sublty... in the dark, so they'll not forget.

Simon

Kinda thought so. Bummer. EU has the capacity (in terms of industry), the population and the know how. But I guess getting all those countries on the same page is about the same as herding cats.

Just not gonna happen.

Getting France on the same page is impossible. As I said if it does not benefit them they wont agree to anything, even if it means to help out an aly that helpled liberate them. They forget very easily.

Because we're not all stupid...

Just how would this suggestion get those sailors back... or is that a secondary concern to just smacking a few ragheads ?

Are we suddenly expecting the Iranians and the Muslim world to suddenly become reasonable because we've blown up their citizens.. ?

Now I don't know the answer, but I'm sure that an out and out fist fight live on CNN isn't it either... We Brits are a bit more subtle than that and I'd like to think that our leaders first thoughts are about getting those sailors home to their families and if that means lieing through our teath on TV, making some bullshit apology then that's what needs to be done. When that's acheived we'll make our true feelings known to em.... sublty... in the dark, so they'll not forget.

Simon

Diplomacy only goes so far and the Iranians dont understand diplomacy unless it is giving them everything they want and they dont have to budge a bit.

few ragheads ?

Simon

While Iranian Gov is acting like a bunch of jackazz, that comment I don't feel is right or needed. You are doing nothing but generalizing and insulting an entire group of people, it is racist.

Iranian Gov is the bad guy here, not the people of Iran. The people only know what they are taught by their goverment and priests. The people only do what they are allowed to do or encouraged to do by the Gov and priests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back