Brooks' Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great shots, Aaron..and as far as the Flickers go, you solved a HUGE puzzle for me!!

I saw your Flickers and realized those are almost identical to a mystery bird that I photographed at the shop a few months ago. No one could figure out what it was, and guess what? It's a Female flicker (a cousin to your species out there) and now the mystery is solved!!

I'll post her here so you can compare, they're really close in markings/coloring:

Thank you Merv.
Dave, it sure looks like a Flicker, but it has no red marks in the usual places, ie the back of the head or the whisker. It may be a young one. Other than not having the red markings I would call it a Flicker. It's identical shape and mark wise. Excellent shot to sir.

Thanks for the compliments, guys...Aaron, I dug a little deeper into the species of the Flicker, and found that it is a Northern Red Shafted Flicker female. According to the experts, she is a full grown adult female, while the male has a red "moustache" marking.

The Northern Red Shafted cover most of North America along with the Northern Yellow Shafted species...these two seem to be the most common of the "new world" Flicker species.

LMAO Eric!

Hadn't thought of that, but it was cool that we were able to solve a mystery...

Now that I think of it, it would be a toss up as to which area would have more birds, though I think Aaron would probably have a wider variety in his neck of the woods than I do.

I don't have the patience for shooting animals. I'd end up falling asleep waiting for'em. I knew Dave's shot was a Flicker but not having the red markings I didn't know which one. All the books I have show the male and female with similar markings. I get the impression they may be wrong.

Hey Aaron, I had a bird I could not ID so I just sent e-mail with a picture of the bird to the Audubon Society and they ID it pretty quick and sent an e-mail reply. Just a thought 8)

I have not posted on this thread for almost three months now. I have been working on getting my computer straightened out. After loosing 6,600 photos to an overwriting error I have since had some friends give me some lessons. Not only on how to better use the computer but also the camera. I have been out for the last four weekends taking photos and will be posting some shots starting tonight on what I have done in past weeks. So please enjoy and don't hesitate to critique.

Attachments

• 05 28 12_0206 resized 25 legal.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 05 28 12_0226 resized 25 legal.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 05 28 12_0237 resized 25 legal.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 57
  • 05 28 12_0262 resized 25 legal.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 05 28 12_0312 resized 25 legal.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread