Brooks' Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you guys. :oops: The only thing that I have really changed is that I am shooting in RAW format which is taking up about 2 to 4 times as much space but the details are so much better it has just floored me. And Thank you Eric, I am trying to see more and more and studying other folks shots to get a better perspective. Dave, looking at your shots has helped a LOT in this department sir. Yesterday I got the chance to get into the Channels. A place I have been looking to get into for over ten years now, and I took it. I didn't get to spend much time in them but I can get to them now and will be going back. I took almost a hundred photos in the twenty minutes I spent in the rock formations. The photos do absolutely no justice. This place is AWESOME!!!!!! Here is some of what I took yesterday. Please enjoy and again, critique.

Attachments

• 06 02 12_0345 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0345 resized 25 legal.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 06 02 12_0351 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0351 resized 25 legal.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 06 02 12_0352 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0352 resized 25 legal.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 84
  • 06 02 12_0354 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0354 resized 25 legal.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 06 02 12_0360 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0360 resized 25 legal.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 82
  • 06 02 12_0364 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0364 resized 25 legal.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 06 02 12_0369 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0369 resized 25 legal.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 06 02 12_0372 resized 25 legal.jpg
    06 02 12_0372 resized 25 legal.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 89
Nice contrasts and colors. One things that is a bit distracting is your watermark. Try to use a consistent font, size and location. If you have it always in the same place, the eye can "tune it out" so that it doesn't distract from the images. You might also consider putting the copyright symbol in there as well. ©. I usually use that and the year. There are a couple of reasons for it, but the main one is that someone can say, "Hey you took that shot at XXX location back in 2008, and I want a copy". It helps both the viewer and you to locate the photo.

Thank you for the advice Eric. I will see if I can set up a constant size water mark and copyright symbol to use on all of my photos. I may have to do two different sizes, on for the standard shots and one for the vertical shots.

Aaron I don't understand by critique, there is absolutely nothing to critique fantastic shots buddy. you are constantly amazing me. The shots of the Channels are my favorites.

I agree with Eric you need to put the copyright mark on your pictures they are to good not to. If you have Photoshop you can make a brush with either your hand written signature if you have a tablet or any font you have in your font file. I use the brush so it's always handy when editing shots.

Beaut shots Aaron, I can almost smell the place.
BTW, the correct copyright symbol for photos is a 'P' in a circle, alongside the normal 'C' in circle, the latter being for written material, artwork, cinematography title work etc. The 'P' denotes that copyright of the entire photo image is the property of the Copyright holder, whilst the 'C' states the actual Copyright.

Great stuff Brooks!

Thank you Andy.:oops:

Beaut shots Aaron, I can almost smell the place.
BTW, the correct copyright symbol for photos is a 'P' in a circle, alongside the normal 'C' in circle, the latter being for written material, artwork, cinematography title work etc. The 'P' denotes that copyright of the entire photo image is the property of the Copyright holder, whilst the 'C' states the actual Copyright.

Thank you Terry for the complement and very much for the Copyright information.

Beautiful pics. Not sure where you took them, as I'm only perusing the forum at the moment. But I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't Virginia. For those who have never been there, the only fault you can find with that most beautiful of beautiful US States is the summer heat/humidity. You have some lovely shots there.

Those are excellent shots, Aaron!! I can't see anything negative about the lot! :thumbleft:

When you get into dark areas like that next time, experiment with some backfill from your flash...you can create some interesting details! :D

By the way, I usually embed copywrite/owner info in my images using the info feature in Photoshop but occasionally add a layer with the info on it as well...though the transparency is adjusted to mute the text to a certain degree.

Thank you Matt, the shots on the previous page were taken on the Virginia Creeper Trail and the shots on this page were taken at the Channels. And you are correct about the heat and humidity. They are usually in a neck and neck race. Though, out here in the western part of the state it's not to bad.
Dave, thank you sir. I need more flash to do what your talking about. The built in flash is only good for about 12 feet so. And I have been trying to find the section on watermarks in PS 7. So far I have not found it, but I know it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back