Btw, you're welcome!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
European settlers in the United States

Historians believe that the first log cabins built in North America were in the Swedish colony of Nya Sverige (New Sweden) on the Delaware River in 1638, The majority of its colonists were actually Forest Finns, because Finland was part of Sweden at that time. The Swedish colony only lasted a couple of decades before it was absorbed by the Dutch colony of New Netherland, which was soon absorbed by the English. Most of the descendants of the Swedish-Finnish colony are believed to have stayed in North America.

Later German and Ukrainian immigrants also used this technique. The Scots and Scots-Irish had no tradition of building with logs, but they quickly adopted the method. The first English settlers did not widely use log cabins, building in forms more traditional to them. Few log cabins dating from the 18th century still stand, but they were not intended as permanent dwellings. Possibly the oldest surviving log house in the United States is the C. A. Nothnagle Log House (ca. 1640) in New Jersey. When settlers built their larger, more formal houses, they often converted the first log cabins to outbuildings, such as chicken coops, animal shelters, or other utilitarian purposes.

Well, well......

Now you're talking about my neck of the woods!! Swedesboro is in my county where I work (and where my kids live) and the Nothnagle house is owned by a co-workers father! Here is a map of the area and a link to the cabin.

Gloucester County, NJ. Website - The Nothnagle Log Cabin

Cool stuff, Jan!!!

Attachments

• cms1986.png
    cms1986.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 314
Awseome!
The school where I spent my last two years, tought(?), might still do, how to build proper log cabins, wish I took the classes now, but I was in the car class, body paint etc., etc....
Can't beat a good, proper log cabin, love them!

I've been in it several times and the striking thing is how much shorter people were 300 years ago!

Don't know if they mean still in use or.... :lol: Interesting read though! 8)
Btw, aren't those in Mesa Verde and Chaco Canyon carved out?
I'm sure that I've heard about them, sound familiar....can't remember. :oops:

Regarding being inhabited, nope to both...they've been abandoned for centuries...it appears climate change caused thier abandonement once they could no longer grow crops.

And they are constructed with a combination of stone and adobe brick and in some cases, the Poplar (and some pine) wood roof poles are still intact.

More info on Mesa Verde at Mesa Verde National Park
An image of one of the structures at Mesa Verde:
800px-Mesa_Verde_National_Park_Spruce_Tree_House_Three_Storeyed_House_2006_09_12.jpg

More info on Chaco Canyon Chaco Culture
An image of one of the structures at the Chaco Canyon complex:
480px-Chaco_Canyon_Pueblo_Bonito_doorways_NPS.jpg

1635 for oldest stone house in Canada, and my moms Grandparents lived in a sod house out in Alberta when they emigrated from Austro Hungary in 1885

Users who are viewing this thread

Back