Butt-ugly airplanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The P-38 was an independent design.

The P-38 was compettive from the first. In the MTO it achieved a 6/1 P-38 kill ratio almost exclusivly with pre-J models. In the ETO there were problems primarily Attitude/training, Fuel and lack of heat add all problema it still did the job it was sent to do drop bomber losses from 10 % ave. to 4/5% ave. It's also not mentioned often there were substantial losses in ground attack in the ETO Air to air it achieved a 4/1 P-38 kill ratio.
In the Pacific it was always superior to it's competition too.

The late J/L aircraft could not only take it to the enemy but was competitive/dominant to all commers in any environment!

Pff the P-38 is (just like the FW-189 Uhu) a copy of the Fokker G1 wich was a real beauty!

http://www.fokkerg-1.nl/

BTW Is this Ugly?

Fieseler Fi-167

I don't think so, the landing gear looks a little squarish for me but overall it's not a bad lookin plane.

The Lightning guy is correct.

The P-38 was not a copy it's design is officialy given a date of March 12, 1936. And was totaly indipendant of other designs in the US or abroad.

wmaxt

That one with the piston engine set in the front taking up the whole thing, what is it? Whatever it is I think it would be hard to find an uglier plane than that... The big propeller just ruins it somehow...

A face only its mother could love

Some people like it, to me it looks like a child's toy

Would look nice if it weren't for the fact someone appears to have cut most of the rear section out and glued it back together

Again, the proportions are all wrong

This Polish Zubr that was posted in the 'Worst Aircraft' thread also caught my ete. It appears to have been knocked together in a shed. Comically ugly

Koolhoven FK.55 Very ugly in my opinion. Was quite a remarkeble plane in 1936, retractable wheels, Engine behind the pilot (hey where did I see that before )
Two counter-rotating propellers....
According to Koolhove history:

Crew 1
Engine 1× Lorraine Petrel 860 hp
Maximum speed 520 km/h
Range 850 km
Starting weight 2280 kg
Wingspan 9.6 m
Overall length 9.3 m

Attachments

• fk55-i.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 196
Hang on, that is the Avro Manchester I think you are posting there, isn't it? The RAF big bomber is it? If so tell us the picture source so that if there are any more I can find them. The Avro Manchester even with google and AlltheWeb.com searchengine seems to be one of the hardest aircraft to find pictures of. But that is only the Avro Manchester II. The Avro Manchester I is even harder to find pictures of...

The Avro Manchester II is better known as the Lancaster, I'm sure you'll find dozens of pictures of it

Yes, but I consider them two separate aircraft. The Lancaster is a development of the Mancester II but it is not the Manchester bomber by itself. I already have a lot of pictures of the Lancaster and I happen to like the Manchester. Incidently the Avro Manchester I was a biplane bomber developed near the end of WWI but never saw production. That is why most people forget that the Avro Manchester that developed into the Lancaster was the Avro Manchester II.

Users who are viewing this thread