Calling all Modellers!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, there's loads to go at! If we are keeping it to the same format etc, we can only do three a year, unless we run parrallel GB's. But then, perhaps not everyone can manage, or afford to do that, and it could dilute the whole thing. The last thing we want is for anyone to get disheartened, and the whole thing fizzle out.
Keep the suggestions coming; I like the idea of doing 'theatres', even though I'm more than hazy on anything other than Northern Europe. But there are other subjects. For example, Spitfire Squadrons, P51 Groups, ONE single squadron's aircraft, either at a specific time, or a 'history' of that unit, say 1939 to '45 or '60. A particular air battle, a theme, such as Bomber Command, KampfGeschwaderen, Air Sea Rescue (Matt, where's your Walrus?), Special Ops., 'Secret Weapons', etc etc. Then there are diorama possibilities, although that would have to be limited, due to time and expense.
We could even do a cooperative GB - each entrant building a section of a story line... and so it goes on.....
Great stuff though, isn't it?!!
Something else to consider. This year is the 70th anniversary of the start of World War Two, next year, the 70th of the Battle of Britain, and then all the other anniversaries. Oh my Lord, such a lot to go for!

Sorry mate, try Hannant's and Squadron, other than that I'm sure that the "experten" will soon inform you. 8)

Edit: Same as you, I'm looking for P-47D-11-RE 4275435 HV-C `Hollywood High Hatter' 61FS/56FG; Lt. Paul Conger....in 1/48. :lol:

I'm not that bothered when and where, as long as I can build a "13"! :lol: :lol: Anyhoo, I'm just enjoying the build, at the same time, learn and of course, haning out with you laddies! So, anything goes for me pretty much. 8)

I imagine it'l be how how people think of WW1 today-A forgotten war

I too feel WW2 happened so recently ,My belief is since I wasn't alive I can't possibly imagine how long ago it actually was, only those who lived through it and are still living now can only really feel how long its been.

I like your suggestion Terry of "Air Sea Rescue" also Anniversaries is a good idea

Good luck on your search Jan!

As we're in Europe now....around the world to a PTO theme would be a good and total change, it becomes a matter of what period....you know probably if guys didn't put more than one or two models on the table for the current build you could even piggyback a 'Battle of Midway' theme (June 4-6) to almost run in parallel....

Doesn't matter what period we're doing with the PTO, I'm there with something from USS Yorktown....CV-5 or CV-10. 8) :D Maybe something from the "Cactus Airforce" if we're early enough....:lol:

He flew em all, but flew combat in the birdcage and -1A.... Thing is, the guys of VMF-214 flew whatever crate was ready for the pilot to takeoff in, so any of the numbers that were assigned to 214 would work for me...

Even Boyington didnt have a regular mount...

Thanks Dan! Same for "Butcher Bob" then, I've only heard about and seen the "596" when it come to Hanson. He flew with VMF-214 and -215, I think that he flew with VMF-215 when he was hit with groundfire and crashed.

PTO sounds good to me! I want to do a Corsair anyway, so that's my 'entry' sorted! I like Wayne's idea of 'piggy backing' it as well.
Now, can anyone suggest some good reference books / sources, as my knowledge of the theatre and time scale is rather thin?
As for the 70th anniversary of the beginning of WW2, why not build-up to anothe GB, to be completed and judged by, and as, a Christmas event? There's loads to go at - all the aircraft involved from all the Air Forces, many 'firsts', such as first shot down in RAF,LW,A d L'A, PAF etc etc., first mission, first air to air fighter combat - the list is long!

Hmm, well, for sources I found a site that had TONS of Corsair profiles. It won't let you save them as images, but I took screenshots of them all so I have them. I will attempt to find the site again and post.

Here you go:

Aircraft illustration

You have the Tamiya -1D, right? It comes with all the pieces for both the -1A and -1D, so you can do either accurately.

I have enough Corsair stuff laying around that if you need anything, just ask and I'll be able to help you out.

Then we have, Tankbusters and.....:lol:, seems like there's no limitations as to GB themes and whatnot! 8) Well, that's me sitting purty then with Robert M. Hanson F4U Corsair and an SBD-3 Dauntless (for now) from Yorktown....all depends of course what time period of the PTO, '41-'43 or '43-45 or the whole banana?

Actually.....might have to do a SBD-3 for Stanley W. Vejtasa....*walks away to get the Osprey Dauntless book*
Well, well, well.....look at that! Stanley flew an SBD-3 at the Battle Of Coral Sea, BuNo. 4690, Black 10, of Scouting Five...! This will be one of my entries for the next GB then, the Dauntless that Vejtasa flew when he bagged three Zeroes! Hotdamndiddleydoodah and now I'm itchin' like a man on a fuzzy tree to get started...hot dog!

Just the wait now then....:lol:

Correction, should be three destoyed and one damaged Zero! :oops:
DSCF0001-6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back