Camera Problems

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
on holiday i took a lot of pictures and at the end of a day i had a look at that days efforts only to find about 30 or so said read error and wouldnt show up.

now the next day when i tried again all but 6 pictures were there to view but the first 3 pictures i'd taken a few days before now said read error and i couldnt see them when i could before.

when i got home i found my computer wouldn't find any pictures on my camera if the first picture on my memory card said read error, after deleting this first picture i could download all the pictures upto the next one that said read error and i would have to delete that one and carry on.

i think i lost about 10 pictures out of about 300 all told and my camera seems to be working fine now, any ideas anyone ?
i have since reformatted my memory card after i emptied it onto my computer !

my camera is a Fuji s1000 fd

thanks

Karl

Last edited:
Are you formatting the card every time before you use it, or are you just erasing the images from the card? It's always good practice to remove the images from the card, then re-format the card in the camera before use. Like hard drives, cards can develop bad spots that formatting will identify and mark as bad so it doesn't get written to and possibly ruin your shot, or worse, the whole card's worth.

I'm with Eric there Karl. As you know, I have the same camera, although I might have a different card. It certainly sounds like a card problem, not the camera itself. Normally, I just download straight to the computer from the camera, and then, after checking the download was successful, erase from the camera. I don't normally format each time, unless I've removed the card for some reason, but I do re-format now and then, just to ensure all is working OK
Also, always ensure the security 'tab' on the card is in the correct position, and fully in place, as this can cause read errors, and lost images otherwise.

I'm with Eric on this too Karl, certainly sounds like a small card failure. I personally haven't done the format of my cards after I've used them and haven't had a failure yet but it is certainly something I'll be thinking of doing from now on.

I'd like to state always reformat by not doing this I lost close to 300 pics of my favourite airshow , I went to the point where tried local data recovery businesses here with no luck

I'd like to state always reformat by not doing this I lost close to 300 pics of my favourite airshow , I went to the point where tried local data recovery businesses here with no luck

Same here, I reformat the camera card every single time after I've copied my photos onto the comp.
I lost one out of two cards once, both were stuffed with pics from the last ever airshow at Værløse near Copenhagen, with plenty of Spitfire-pics, among others. That sucked big time, so I'm definitely on the reformat team here.

Wow, I wish I had read this thread a couple of weeks ago, I had the exact same thing happened to me and lost a lot of pics.

Thanks for the education!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back