War photographer's camera sells for £1.18 million.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
A camera used by 'Life' photographer David Douglas Duncan, was sold at auction in Vienna earlier this week, for a record £1.18 million ($1.9 million).An item in 'The Daily Mail' (UK) describes the camera, a Leica M3D-2, as only four made specifically for Press photographers, "who liked it because it was fast and nearly silent to use".
This example was used by Duncan during the battle at Khe Sanh, in 1968, and some of the photos taken then were included in the sale, to a private collector, at the Westlicht auction, in Vienna.
Maybe I should have kept my old Leica, and the Olympus pair I replaced it with .......
(Photo via 'The Daily Mail')

Attachments

• Can Jan 653.jpg
    Can Jan 653.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 378
If cameras could talk, I am sure that one would have some amazing stories. While it seems a steep price, One of 4 made and it's provenance are what make it valuable. If it had been one of the other three that sat on a shelf, it would be worth a fraction of that.

If cameras could talk, I am sure that one would have some amazing stories. While it seems a steep price, One of 4 made and it's provenance are what make it valuable. If it had been one of the other three that sat on a shelf, it would be worth a fraction of that.

Exactly Eric, and what stories it would tell if it could talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back