Columbine School

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ScOoTeR1992

Senior Airman
Dec 19, 2007
right behind you
G'day all

first of all I'm so sorry if this offends anyone and if it does to be removed immediately

Ok I'll start, I was wondering if anyone has any information at all on Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, and Doom's involvement in the Columbine School shooting. I've only read a paragraph saying that the USA was mostly blaming Rammstein, Manson and the video game Doom for the massacre and that there was a parent trying to pursue legal action. anyway I was wondering if any of you out there know anything about it and if you do can you please share because Rammstein and Manson are one of my most favorite bands and I cant see this as being true anyway thanks again in advanced

kinds regards
scott

Have to agree with you. i love Manson's music and don't mind a bit of Rammstein.

I'd have to say that the blame put on these bands and the game is just that, the blame game. Media hype, lack of education and miss-information (which is the case of just about all media) gave the public the opinion that these were to blame.

You like Manson, i like Manson, does that mean we're going to repeat the act? God no.

Scoot, living in Australia, I'm sure you're well aware of the media BS, hypocritical propaganda that we get fed.... i just don't know whats worse, the fact that they get away with voicing it, or the fact that so many people take it as gospel and believe what they hear.

Grrr... you've got me on a media rampage now... :lol:

There have always been groups in the US that want to ban "that evil rock and roll" and will always look for ways to shine a bad light on it. The ironic thing is that this kind of controversy actually drives up album sales. It proves the old saying that there is no such thing as bad press.

Judas Priest was sued because some kid committed suicide, allegedly because of subliminal messages on an album (I don't recall which one). Styx was also accused of backwards satanic messages.

The parents, press, or whatever religious zealot group can try to blame what happened there on music and computer games, but it will be a difficult sell to a jury. How many millions of kids played Doom and listened to the same music and did nothing? Unfortunately, we live in a society where nothing is "my fault", it is always something, or someone else.

It all comes down to irresponsible parenting really. And what will suing the game company and musicians do? Will it bring the kids back, make the pain go away? No. I know, from a legal definition, it's "punitive damages", but I have a hard time swallowing that Doom and some music drove them to that.

These bands and game can not be blamed for this tragedy.

The fault lies in the parents who were not there to parent their children! Nothing else, nothing less.

I think it is such a cop out to blame music and so forth for such things. It is so damn ignorant.

I love Marilyn Manson and Rammstein, you do not see me going out and killing anyone.

All comes down to how a person can see things.

Same can be said for literature going back through the years.

End of the day its down to personal responsibility which seems to be getting less and less these days. 'Oh but they/them/that group caused me to act this way'.... Completely ridiculous arguments which are winning in some cases.

G'day all

first of all I'm so sorry if this offends anyone and if it does to be removed immediately

Ok I'll start, I was wondering if anyone has any information at all on Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, and Doom's involvement in the Columbine School shooting. I've only read a paragraph saying that the USA was mostly blaming Rammstein, Manson and the video game Doom for the massacre and that there was a parent trying to pursue legal action. anyway I was wondering if any of you out there know anything about it and if you do can you please share because Rammstein and Manson are one of my most favorite bands and I cant see this as being true anyway thanks again in advanced

kinds regards
scott

I live about 5 miles from where Columbine happened. There have been numerous studies, discussions, meetings, ect., about what happened there and even today the community is still healing over this. There have been some who brought up the influence of Rammstein and Manson on these boys but IMO you had two very disturbed young men. Eric Harris was actually on medication and was even said to be suicidal and homicidal. He was taking medication that could of played a part in this but what compounded the situation is these kids were continually bullied at school plus they had "ILLEGAL" access to firearms through an "adult" friend.

There were numerous warning signs about these kids that were ignored through the school. Both of them "played" off each other enabling them bring their rage to the level to cause this massacre. Today the Jefferson County School Board takes every and any mention of violence extremely seriously and there are programs to prevent bullying in all levels of schools.

I moved this is community in 2004 and I have to say that for the most part this tragedy is not reflective of the people or the environment here. Crime is minuscule compared to other parts of the country and most of the school kids that are Harris' and Klebold's age are polite and respectful. Simply you had two problem individuals who were bullied and eventually snapped and their parents, teachers and even the police either ignored or didn't see the warning signs. Blaming rock groups, video games and guns are a cop out and only scavengers like Michale Moore would play on things like that.

and plus really I couldn't see how Rammstein was to blame, the only song that would (if it could) set someone off doing that sort of thing would be "Ich Will" and even that song isn't that bad. And would one of my American friends please tell me that name of the guy that is one of the biggest P.I.T.A for the gaming community, I forget his name but he released at list a week ago i think about the top ten games parents shouldn't get their kids for Christmas, Call of Duty 5 World at War was high on the list because of its high violence level grrrr

and plus really I couldn't see how Rammstein was to blame, the only song that would (if it could) set someone off doing that sort of thing would be "Ich Will" and even that song isn't that bad. And would one of my American friends please tell me that name of the guy that is one of the biggest P.I.T.A for the gaming community, I forget his name but he released at list a week ago i think about the top ten games parents shouldn't get their kids for Christmas, Call of Duty 5 World at War was high on the list because of its high violence level grrrr

Scooter, you might me referring to Jack Thompson, he's a big anti-video game freak. As for the violence level, the ESRB rates the games according to it's content. There's no way a 10 year old can get Halo 3 unless he has a parent with him.

weird stuff that this is all brought back up. I've counseled families too many actually about meds. and the children that inflicted this pain were on some pretty heavy stuff that they should not have been, what also need to look deeper as to why they were on it in the first place ? obviously they went psycho. heck I've taken some cancer meds years ago that nearly sent me over the edge. to point that rock bands were a major cause is simply childish in itself

and plus really I couldn't see how Rammstein was to blame, the only song that would (if it could) set someone off doing that sort of thing would be "Ich Will" and even that song isn't that bad.

Scooter no song can drive someone to do something like this. People like this are unstable as it is, they would do this with our without music.

In the end it comes down to shitty parenting.

Shitty parenting is a trend that I see growing more and more every day. Many parents are two lazy today to take a part in the lives of their children. It is two easy to buy a Playstation and tell them to be quiet then to parent their children.

In the end it comes down to shitty parenting.

Shitty parenting is a trend that I see growing more and more every day. Many parents are two lazy today to take a part in the lives of their children. It is two easy to buy a Playstation and tell them to be quiet then to parent their children.
From what I understand that was Klebold's parents.

I'd still like to know what kind of trauma the two young punks went through growing up - parents, relatives, older friends or associates of the parents ? if your head is on straight things like this just don't crop up in the name of revenge ..............

I'd still like to know what kind of trauma the two young punks went through growing up - parents, relatives, older friends or associates of the parents ? if your head is on straight things like this just don't crop up in the name of revenge ..............

From what I understand they were pretty much picked on continually and it seems the school or their parents did little about it. I have noticed in my neck of the wood most folks are pretty passive but like anywhere else you have some who like to bully others, I think we all went through it. When I was their age you either put up with it or dealt with it concisely (Dan knows what I'm talking about). I think these kids didn't know how to fight back - they formed their own little group and let the rage burn until they did what they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back