Consolidated B-24D LIBERATOR; 1/48 Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The tip of a pitot tube does have a hole in it but I think you really can't expect to make one to 1/48 scale,

images.jpg

Gracias Andy y Robert, muy gráfica fotografía e interesante link. :thumbright::thumbleft:

... this is how he spent the night avoiding the dust that could have, after applying the second layer of MM ...

418.jpg

... light and resolution does not favor photos, but I think the MM was well applied and I can only confirm it until after painting and wheathering ... good luck! :!::rolleyes:

419.jpg
420.jpg

For the tail machine gun, I decided to join the cubicle to better work the joining of the two pieces and make it not noticed. :-k

What I did was tape the guns and inside the cubicle a piece of tape to cover the gap when it came to painting.

421.jpg
422.jpg
423.jpg
424.jpg

With the experience of the frontal bubble [-X, it occurred to me to strengthen the bottom that I will work, with TC and the glass part, with MKK

425.jpg
426.jpg

... I will dry both glues, while I dedicate myself to finishing other details with some pieces, before applying the primer.

... but I intend to go to bed early, because the sleepless nights have been very severe !! :morning:

Hasta mañana a todos :thumbup:

A long, patient job my friend, and it'll be worth it.

Patience is indeed a virtue in our hobby! I want some patience and I want it right now!

Words always encouraging and always heartfelt thanks.

Something that I have noticed in these almost five years that I resumed modeling is a better management of tolerance, frustration, analysis of a situation, patience, knowing how to stop on the road and take it back at a better time. :rolleyes::crazy:
And yet, I think I have many years to improve as a person.
Since I restarted this, my enthusiasm has grown, my friends and family told them that I am with my new and beautiful therapist (and it is not cheap at all !!) and I would like to spend more time with her. :love10:
Well, after spending some time with you from the therapist's couch. :silly:

Have a great time. :thumbup:

P.D.: There is no group therapy section in our great forum? ...Hahaha :toothy10:

Hello again.

This is the only photophraphy I got from what fuel ventilation is. In several photographs it is not even distinguishable (I do not know if it has been removed in some later versions)

13_B-24_Fuel_Vent.jpg

The parts of the kit come very coarse, so I thinned them a little and improved the appearance, more according to the photo I have. With jeweler's files and sandpaper was enough. Finally with a pin I made those two rivets or perforations that each piece carries. My pictures still leave a lot to be desired. (The phone that replaces the S6 that I put to the sea, is simpler and to change to a better equipment, corresponds me until end of year :cry:)

427.jpg
428.jpg

Leaning on your comments and the images I have, I improved the appearance of pitot tubes.
The end of the pitot is very wide and short in the kit, so I trimmed the tips to embed slightly flattened pins. However, when drilling with a mini-drill, I broke the tip of the drill, being buried! #-o and removing it with a bigger drill bit and fine-tipped forceps, I hurt that extream a little. (The two arrows indicate the piece of drill that I rescued and the tip hurt)

429.jpg

I made the perforations at the ends, once I gave the approximate measurement of the pins, with CA I fixed them and gave the appearance of that zone.

430.jpg
431.jpg

In the next picture we can see that the back side of the tube is very wide, so with a flat file and several sandpaper, I worked on the underside of each tube until it was flat and the back side ended in a sharp vertex, More aerodynamic ...
The left is modified, the right is not yet.

432.jpg

A view of the finish ... the front and back sides of the pitot tubes.

433.jpg
434.jpg

... I hope you like it, I have some more photos of yesterday's advance-today at dawn, ... soon.

Ya vuelvo!! :thumbup:

..... This is the only photophraphy I got from what fuel ventilation is. In several photographs it is not even distinguishable (I do not know if it has been removed in some later versions)

View attachment 366686

Well done Pal.

... L.C, I went through a couple of references for the B-24 bomber. The fuel vents aren't noticed at the early versions of the B-24. I mean the A/B/C/D/E. These parts of the fuel system can be found in almost all pictures of the later B-24s... G/H/J/M. However I found a diagram on the fuel system for the D type with these marked too. Not sure but these could have been attached at different locations or were of another type that made them unseen.

Last edited:
Well done Pal.

... L.C, I went through a couple of references for the B-24 bomber. The fuel vents aren't noticed at the early versions of the B-24. I mean the A/B/C/D/E. These parts of the fuel system can be found in almost all pictures of the later B-24s... G/H/J/M. However I found a diagram on the fuel system for the D type with these marked too. Not sure but these could have been attached at different locations or were of another type that made them unseen.

Very good comment W and extraordinary photos!!, are small details that make the difference when it comes to making replicas in miniature, the most attached to reality.
Now I see why you can not distinguish those tiny pieces in some photos. And as the instructions of the model and version I am putting together, they include them, so I did them without hesitation.
Always grateful for your timely, valuable contributions and comments my friend.

Pozdrowienia dla moja drogi Polski przyjacielem. :thumbup:

Great work on the pitots Luis, and good stuff from Wojtek.
It'll be useful for me when I eventually start on my B-24H, as I hadn't actually noticed those vents before now.

... preparing all the pieces that will have the first primer layer.

437.jpg

435.jpg

To these landing gear gates apply Micro Mask on the edge (which has the Yellow Green color inside) to only paint the outer face of the blue color.

436.jpg

Here I present my two paint chambers (Mexican models of export and hard to get !! :drinking:), where the painted parts rest and avoid the dust and volatile trash. The big one contains the fuselage and the small one the rest of the pieces. :toothy7:

438.jpg

Here ... the pieces worked with the primer.

439.jpg

... continues the difficult part ... :bad-words:... there are several parts of the fuselage and some parts that must be improved, ... the primer lets see several details of putty, sanding and smoothing that should be taken care of; ... so that will be the next thing that entertains me ... :-({|=:signugh:

Have them all, a beautiful weekend. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Great work on the pitots Luis, and good stuff from Wojtek.
It'll be useful for me when I eventually start on my B-24H, as I hadn't actually noticed those vents before now.

Thanks Terry, now it's clear to you that your B-24H does have those fuel vents.
It is serving us much learning and reference in this thread. :read2:

I thought to get in a future not yet defined, a later B-24, maybe J or H to paint it in silver and do it in mid-flight; So your project will be my reference.

Saludos mi profesor amigo :thumbup:

The Revell/Monogram B-24J kit is the one I'll be using, to build as a B-24H based at Bungay, UK.
The kit is a bit of a 'hybrid', being part 'H' model, and part 'J' model, and I'll be using vac-formed bombardiers glazing and canopy, and a lot of scratch-building, to make this particular version of the 'H' model,
There were many differences in the nose-turret models from 'G' onwards, even within a particular Model group, such as the 'H'. These could be small details, or more major changes, such as cockpit canopies, waist windows etc etc, with the design and shape of the bombardier's glazing and viewing windows, and the gun turrets, being a particular area which could easily cause confusion.
Two books worth having are shown below, with the first describing, in detail, every difference in the various Models, with photos, diagrams and 'exploded' factory drawings helping to provide great details for modellers, and even colour profiles showing the differences in painting patterns, and the 'weathering' of the paint itself.
The second book follows the usual Haynes 'Workshop Manual' format, and includes lots of colour and B&W detail photos, inside and out, of the B-24, with most detail focusing on the preserved, airworthy B-24J 'Witchcraft' of the Collings Foundation, which our very own Gary (Geedee) does Crew Chief on.

B-24 book 001.jpg
Buys 281.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back