Coolest B-29 Nose Art Ever

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
B29 nicknamed "Waddy's Wagon"

see for youre self.

It would make the most spectacular diorama

Attachments

• b29_50_1.jpg
    b29_50_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
you can even see what their jobs are on de plane. pilot, tail gunner etc. Cool sense of wacky humour i thought

I have a book (currently at my parent's house) of photos from the Korean air war, and some of the B-29 nose art is stunning. One, named "Cap'n Sam and Ten Cents" (IIRC) features the aircrew portrayed as cartoon skunks from the nose right back to the wing root.

On a slightly related note, I have never seen any pics of B-29 assembly ships. Were there any, or if not, why was the role dispensed with when it existed in the ETO right to the end of the war?

Excellent shot, ansd a heck of a job to do as a model!
Regarding the Assembly Ships; I might be wrong, but they probably were not needed in the PTO/Korea.
Their use in the ETO was mainly due to the invariably poor weather, but more importantly, the fact that the USAAF bases in East Anglia, UK, were so close to each other, with circuits actually overlapping on many, that the Squadrons and Groups had to climb out and circle to form up, before proceeding to an assembly point, normally over the North Sea or the Norfolk/Suffolk coast, where they would circle again. It was in these areas where the assembly ship(s) 'gathered in the flock', with the various groups assembling in order, left to right, high to low, before setting out for the Continent. The assembly ships were required in order to have the formation in order before reaching the 'enemy' coast, which was a relatively short distance, and flying time, away, especially compared to the vast distances in the other theatres. The assembly ships broke off and returned to base roughly half way across the ocean, before reaching the coast of Continental Europe.
In the PTO, and later Korea, the formations could assemble en route, as the distances and time involved allowed this, and there was not as much dense congestion in the airspace above and around the 'home' bases.

I have to check with the B29 forum, but I think that B29 was eventually shot down with all aboard lost.

The AC commander was also a noted football player in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back