Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like what? Remembering out loud where this virus came from? That's "racist" only in your own heads. I've nothing against Chinese people. Nobody here has spoken (to my recollection) against the Chinese people.

The CCP is another matter.

While it may not be "racist", I am quite sure it is offensive to some Chinese people to refer to it as the "Chinese Corona Virus", as it is to me. If you were to refer to Covid-19 as the "CCP Corona Virus" or the "Asian Corona Virus", it would be easier to accept your comments.

We did not refer to the 1995/1996 Hantavirus outbreak as the "U.S. Hantavirus" or the "New Mexico Hantavirus". MERS also refers to a region, the Middle East, not a specific country or group of people. The same applies to the "West Nile Virus", a region, not a country or specific group of people. And while the Influenza Pandemic of 1918 is sometimes referred to as the "Spanish Flu", it got that name not because Spain was the origin, but because that country was very successful at controlling its spread.

Additionally, labeling a slur as a malaprop/pun, or adding a "Disclaimer" to it, is intellectually dishonest at best...

If this is what you refer to as being overly Politically Correct, I plead guilty. But I make no apologies. I always just thought of it as respectful dialog between several Human Beings.

Regards,

Kim

of people. And while the Influenza Pandemic of 1918 is sometimes referred to as the "Spanish Flu", it got that name not because Spain was the origin, but because that country was very successful at controlling its spread.
No it got that name because spanish newspapers reported freely about it. Being neutral it had a free press un like most european countries.

Wuhan in Hubei is all I've been able to find as the first point of infection. If you have better data, please share. If what you have is speculation for the purpose of synthetic assertion, it's wasted air/electrons.

There were reports that deaths in France in November (or earlier?) that have now been attributed to Covid 19, around the same time as the outbreak in Wuhan.

Yes but 3 months before there was officially a case of covid over here so if this was covid 19 when did it really appear in Wuhan ?
"Yes but" is a broad denial of what was said before.
The article itself declares that the first person with Kung Flu symptoms had just returned from Wuhan. Per the article, that was in January 2020, two months (not 3) before the first confirmed case in England. This CCP virus was known to the CCP existing in Wuhan back in November. There are intimations that there are known records of this appearing months earlier in Wuhan, but I can't put them in our text stream for lack of precision.

So, yes, this is the Wuhan Kung Flu, and your dislike/disagree/disapproval changes nothing.

If you can find evidence suggesting this is really the Botswana Monkey Flu, or from someplace else, please present.

Use of the term "Chinese" somewhat implies that it's a deliberate product, a conclusion to which all available evidence, including detailed studies of the virus' genome, is to the contrary.

The source of the virus is currently uncertain, although the first major outbreak was in Wuhan, it's not certain that's where the virus originated. Corona viruses are not that uncommon; see Taxonomy browser (Coronaviridae)

The article itself declares that the first person with Kung Flu symptoms had just returned from Wuhan. Per the article, that was in January 2020, two months (not 3) before the first confirmed case in England. This CCP virus was known to the CCP existing in Wuhan back in November.

First, thank you for not using the aforementioned term for the virus, I appreciate the courtesy.

Second, I did not read the article but I'm curious to know if it referred to Covid-19 as "Kung Flu", or did you interject that term yourself?

"Kung Flu" is a pun/malaprop.

So, yes, this is the Wuhan Kung Flu, and your dislike/disagree/disapproval changes nothing.

If you can find evidence suggesting this is really the Botswana Monkey Flu, or from someplace else, please present.

Third, I assumed your original use of this pun/malaprop was intended to be humorous, and yet your tone here appears to be quite serious...

Fourth, unless the origin of Covid-19 moves the ball forwards in terms of how we address the current outbreak, I don't understand the need to label it with any origin. Is there some concern that someone will forget where the outbreak fist occurred?

If the Scientific Community can beneficially expand our collective knowledge about Covid-19 by examining the origin of the disease so be it. But I think the consensus so far is that Covid-19 occured naturally, it was not created in a lab. And if we did in fact discover that Covid-19 was a Biological Weapon, what is our response? If we can determine that the CCP released the virus on purpose, do we retaliate with some type of WMD? What if Covid-19 was a Biological Weapon, but it was unleashed by accident, what is our response?

Should the CCP have been more open at the beginning of the outbreak? Yes. Would that have prevented it from becoming a Pandemic? Not likely. This focus on the origin of the virus, feels like we are putting down the fire hoses while fighting the fire, to call the arson investigator...

Regards,

Kim

Last edited:
And we'll continue to get these cases. Although we've closed our borders, we can't keep NZ citizens out.
Yes, give compassionate exemptions to the quarantine, but why did they not do testing before letting them go on their way? I got my results back in a little over 24 hours.

And apparently they weren't going to the funeral, just visiting a family member, who, I assume was dying.
Yes I was incorrect in this matter. I think the person in question then passed away hence my comment re. Funeral.

Apparently one of them was showing symptoms before flying but put it down to an existing condition. Not sure how they were let on the plane if this was the case.

Yes I was incorrect in this matter. I think the person in question then passed away hence my comment re. Funeral.

Apparently one of them was showing symptoms before flying but put it down to an existing condition. Not sure how they were let on the plane if this was the case.
Not sure how they were let out of quarantine without having a test either. The government is having all sorts of difficult questions asked of them at the moment. It seems that almost no-one was being tested as they should have been.

It cannot be the "Wuhan Kung Flu" because it is a coronavirus, not an influenza virus.

The term is racist, not because it references Wuhan, because it is a word play on a racial stereotype.

Perhaps the correct name for the virus should be used - SARS-CoV-2 or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2.

Perhaps the correct name for the virus should be used - SARS-CoV-2 or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2.
I prefer SARS-CoV-2. Or just SCV-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back