Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies to all.

I have been referring to the Virus as Covid-19, when in fact the Virus is SARS-CoV-2.

Covid-19 is the illness that results from the exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

What ever one calls it, now the US death toll is expected to be 200,000+ by October 1. Locally, the infection rate and death toll is still going up. I'm not going to try returning the "old" way of doing things until the infection rate is under control.

Minnesota report, June 17
cases 31,296, recovered 27,404, hospitalized 3,658, deaths 1,325, tested 448,587
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 232.5 per million
test rate 78.7 per thousand

Spanish flu:
A likely misnomer, the Spanish flu is so named because Spain is where media reports of the outbreak first emerged. As one of the few countries to remain neutral in World War I, its press was not censored and therefore able to report on the outbreak without fear of affecting public morale.
Since nations under media blackout could only read about the illness from Spanish sources, it became known as "the Spanish Flu" in May 1918. Its actual origin is still debated with France, China, Britain and the US all nominated as possible sources.

Zika virus:
The virus was first identified in the Zika valley, in central Africa, in 1947 and is spread by infected mosquitoes in the Aedes genus.
Its greatest risk is associated with birth defects, when an expectant mother becomes infected with the virus.

Ebola:
One of the deadliest infections, Ebola virus disease (EVD) was discovered in 1976 when two consecutive outbreaks of fatal haemorrhagic fever occurred in different parts of central Africa.
The first occurred in the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire) in a village near the Ebola river.

Hendra virus:
A rare emerging zoonosis (a disease that can be transmitted to humans from animals), Hendra virus (HeV) infection can cause severe and often fatal illness in both horses and humans.
HeV was identified during the first recorded outbreak of the disease in the Brisbane suburb of Hendra in 1994.

SARS:
Identified in 2003, the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) coronavirus, or SARS-CoV, is thought to be an animal virus that originated from an animal reservoir, perhaps bats, that spread to other animals (civet cats) and first infected humans in Guangdong province, southern China, in 2002.

Swine flu:
The 2009 H1N1 influenza virus was first detected in people in the US in April 2009.
This virus was originally referred to as "swine flu" because laboratory testing showed that its gene segments were similar to influenza viruses that were most recently identified in — and known to circulate among — pigs.

MERS:
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome is an illness caused by a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) known as MERS-CoV.
Health officials first reported the disease in Saudi Arabia in September 2012. Later investigations identified the first known cases of MERS to have occurred in Jordan in April 2012.

Covid-19:
The first case of the 2019 novel coronavirus was reported in Wuhan, China in December 2019. COVID-19 is the disease caused by the virus named SARS-CoV-2 and, as previously noted, is shorthand for 'coronavirus disease 2019'.

I fully expect that the next virus that'll pop up, will get a weird name, instead for being named after from where it originates.
If nothing else, it'll prove one thing....political correctness!
Not naming viruses after where they're first discovered is progressive....my hairy arse....well then, rename Spanish, Ebola, Zika, Hendra!

People are, have become weak!

What ever one calls it, now the US death toll is expected to be 200,000+ by October 1. Locally, the infection rate and death toll is still going up. I'm not going to try returning the "old" way of doing things until the infection rate is under control.

They have been easing restrictions here for weeks, and healthcare officials have been warning that rates and hospitalizations are going up. 2 days ago the county government lifted all restrictions as if there was no virus at all. I don't see this ending well.

Our camp went from Defcon 3 or whatever they call it back to 2. This was because the guy who tested positive while on his days off and away from camp has been cleared. What does it mean? Absolutely nothing. Social distancing, masks, following arrows and standing on markers are still in effect. I just want my condiments back

With all these gatherings and what not, I'm expecting a 2.0 version in a near future....
Yeah, they're actually planning to open the pool where I live: I went out a few days ago. While I was out I had a mask and gloves at the ready if I was to leave the car. Since my vision sucks, I wear glasses -- that said, I wasn't driving the car -- but it's nice to see right. As an additional precautionary, I did have the A/C to recirculate, however low the odds.

Either way I noticed about 2/3 people were wearing masks. The lack of vigilance reminds me of the same problem that occurs with untreated strep-throat: They give you penicillin, amoxycillin to kill the strep. They tell you to complete the whole bottle -- while many actually follow orders, there's always that small percentage that figure "I feel better, I don't need anymore of this", then stop taking it. If it hasn't killed all the strep, it grows back and they'll get sick all over again: The best part is that it now might need a new antibiotic to treat it (provided you're not the index patient for a new superbug).

A 1.35% fatality rate would generate ~4,468,000 deaths if everyone in the US contracted COVID-19 (US current population ~331,000,000).

For anyone not already familiar with the numbers, this is ~13.5x the death rate of the 'normal' influenza ('normal' influenza death rate being 0.1%).

Minnesota report, June 18
cases 31,675, recovered 27,566, hospitalized 3,718, deaths 1,344, tested 460,879
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 235.8 per million
test rate 80.9 per thousand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back