Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minnesota report, June 19
cases 32,029, recovered ??,???, hospitalized 3,748, deaths 1,360, tested 475,228
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 238.6 per million
test rate 83.4 per thousand
<
<
Minnesota report, June 20
cases 32,467, recovered 28,205, hospitalized 3,767, deaths 1,372, tested 492,043
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 240.7 per million
test rate 86.3 per thousand

Meanwhile, one game in this weekend's round of Australian Rules Football was postponed after a player from one of the teams has tested positive.

The player is an Irishman, who had returned from Ireland a month ago and had undergone 2 weeks of isolation. He had tested negative several times, until the positive test that showed a low level of infection.

Both of the teams involved are Victorian based.

"Former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson told on Saturday the mainstream media has pushed false narratives about the coronavirus pandemic and COVID-19, and in his view, there is marginal evidence that lockdowns work."

I've been so locked down I can't tell.

What are y'alls takes on whether lockdowns have positive effect on the plague?

Consensus here seems to me to be that catching/spreading the plague is one thing, putting people in ICU is a more significant thing (because of limits in ICU beds). How have lockdowns effected either event?

"Former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson told on Saturday the mainstream media has pushed false narratives about the coronavirus pandemic and COVID-19, and in his view, there is marginal evidence that lockdowns work."

Consensus here seems to me to be that catching/spreading the plague is one thing, putting people in ICU is a more significant thing (because of limits in ICU beds). How have lockdowns effected either event?

Lockdown here led to 0 deaths in several weeks and 0 active cases.

In the UK, there were grave fears that COVID would overwhelm the NHS. The Royal Army Medical Corps set up a temporary hospital in a convention centre in London in preparation for the expected overflow of COVID patients. Thankfully, the excess capacity wasn't needed due, in large part, to the quarantine that significantly slowed the rate of infection.

Lockdown here led to 0 deaths in several weeks and 0 active cases.

To expand on this, and give some perspective:

Tasmania, population ~537k, 226 cases, 13 deaths., 0 active cases

Closest US states in terms of population are Wyoming and Vermont.
Wyoming, (~579k pop) 1,179 cases, 20 deaths, 263 active cases
Vermont, (~623k pop), 1,147 case, 56 deaths, 171 active cases

Neither Wyoming or Vermont have cities the size of Greater Hobart (~240k) or Launceston (~87k). The disease spreads most easily in more populated areas.

Oh no! TheMadPenguin disagreed with my post! What will I do?????

35586fac-38bd-4beb-8f1b-64401e30c460-gif.gif

In all fairness, this is not an appropriate or respectful response...

I am one of the members going back and forth with other members on this forum, over the use of specific terms and phrases. I understand that we are not supposed to discuss politics, but in our current world it seems that everything is politics. For the most part the other members I have addressed have been respectful.

Like this post, there has been some trolling/taunting on this thread. However, trolling is not an intellectually honest form of argument, and is only effective if the "trollee" rises to the bait.

I would hope that we could have open, honest and respectful debates on this forum, on any subject. I also hope this Moderator can understand that I must hold him to a somewhat higher standard, and hope that this response was an aberration to a job otherwise well done.

Regards,

Kim

I am just curious, where did Mr. Berenson go to Medical School? In his tweet he quotes an economist, who appears to have no medical background. This is the first I have heard that putting people in quarantine/lockdown was not effective.

Health officials in countries with around the world, with governments of all types, have instituted lockdowns, based on science. I am going to assume for the moment that they have a better understanding of public health than a newspaper reporter and an economist.

Let's see lockdowns prevented people from being in close proximity to one another, which prevents the spread.

Science says that is correct, because you cannot give the virus to someone else if you are not in close proximity. That is a fact. How do you think the countries in the world that have contained the virus did it? By thoughts and prayers? No they did it by keeping away from each other. But if course it only works when your population is not made up of selfish me first and "my freedumz" people.

Besides it was never about stopping the virus, but to keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed. Some places such as Arizona that opened up very quickly without any restrictions at all, are now seeing just this. Arizona has gone from 24% ICU capacity to 75% capacity in the several weeks since. The hospitals in my county are raising the flag too.

The BIG problem is not the main stream media, not when the most misinformation and false narratives are coming from the WH.

But I hey, go ahead and disagree with this post too. if the Fox News propaganda network is not reporting it, its just lame stream fake news right? :rolleyes:

In all fairness, this is not an appropriate or respectful response...

I am one of the members going back and forth with other members on this forum, over the use of specific terms and phrases. I understand that we are not supposed to discuss politics, but in our current world it seems that everything is politics. For the most part the other members I have addressed have been respectful.

Like this post, there has been some trolling/taunting on this thread. However, trolling is not an intellectually honest form of argument, and is only effective if the "trollee" rises to the bait.

I would hope that we could have open, honest and respectful debates on this forum, on any subject. I also hope this Moderator can understand that I must hold him to a somewhat higher standard, and hope that this response was an aberration to a job otherwise well done.

Regards,

Kim

Kim,

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, the post I made was not political. It was about the United States response to the pandemic, which has been a joke on all fronts and all levels. It was not a knock on Mad Penguins precious "Party".

The fact remains on all levels, there has been disorganization, mismanagement, false information, and lack of unifying leadership. I repeat at all levels.

Disagreeing with that straight is sticking your head in the sand.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you wish to further call me out. Thank you.

Warm regards,

Adler

Italy report, 21st June 5 pm CEST, weekly changes
cases 238,499, +1,510, deaths 34,634, +289, recovered 182,893, +6,523, active cases 20,972, -5,302, tests 4,984,370, +363,652, people tested 3,041,750, +195,129
fatality rate 14.5% (=)
mortality rate 574 per million (+5)
test rate 82.6 per thousand (+6)
positive rate 7.8% (-0.5)
test rate this week 6,029 per million (-340)
positive rate this week 0.8% (-0.1)
new case rate this week 25 per million (-8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back