Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just mixed up a batch of hand sanitiser for some family members.

It's just a mixture of 99% isopropyl alcohol and aloe gel. Many model makers will already have the alcohol, I've got almost a litre of the stuff and the gel is till readily available.

It's a LOT cheaper than the branded stuff, assuming you can still find it.

You need to end up with more than 60% by volume alcohol, the maths isn't difficult and it doesn't need to be precise.

On a positive note, from the university in Rotterdam:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.987958v1.full.pdf

I've read the 60% number sometimes as well but also other " experts" say 70% is the minimum number to kill all the nasties.
I certainly don't know which is correct but might want to err on the 70% side just to be safe.

I was including the number in the sentences, 102, 103, etc... dang
Changed te text by copying from another pdf reader. Now the line numbers are gone.
Important part that most people like to read:
"
Hence, this antibody offers the potential to prevent and/or treat COVID-19, and possibly also other future emerging diseases in humans caused by viruses from the
Sarbecovirus subgenus."

I've read the 60% number sometimes as well but also other " experts" say 70% is the minimum number to kill all the nasties.
I certainly don't know which is correct but might want to err on the 70% side just to be safe.

Yeah, here the advice is greater than 60%, I aimed for about 70%, but it could be slightly more or less. The concoction certainly smells as strong as the branded versions. It also stings like buggery if you get it in a small cut, that's an experiment I inadvertently carried out on myself

China got it under control because they shut everything down.

Some other thoughts - the numbers from the World Health Organization can be misleading as everyone who actually has COVID-19 may not be tested and just get over the virus. Additionally many of the current statistics are going to be relative to those tested vs infected vs recovery vs death vs population. Depending how quickly the outbreak was detected and addressed will obviously show the final results. China, with a population of almost 1.4 billion has had over 81,000 cases, almost 4,000 deaths. Statistically a drop in the bucket unless you're one of those affected.

For China and Iran, I can't believe their numbers for the distortion and dishonesty (impropaganda)
I'd like to see results of a questionnaire showing the relative mortality of COVID19 for those who did vs those who did not test positive for Swine Flu.
P.S. My Church cancelled all meetings "for the duration". Low-level infrequent services may occur.

I don't trust our own numbers in the US, because we were so poorly prepared for this and lacked good testing.

In the aftermath - Iran yes, China no. It's China's best interest to maintain some type of transparency and credibility as it's economic recovery depends on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread