Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, more news that might be helpful. I read This morning that during the 1918 flu outbreak several hospitals found that when they were out of space and literally had to put patients outside or in makeshift tents( the pictures shown looked like there was lots of fresh air ventilation through open sides and some sun early and late) that the mortality rate of the seriously I'll dropped from about 40% to about 14%.
Apparently this is pretty well documented and occurred at several different hospitals as un probable as it sounds. Don't know if the same dynamics might exist with the Covid19 virus but I thought it was worth mentioning.
A little fresh air and sunshine if the weather allows. Another one of those things that may help and certainly can't hurt.

Since ancient times hospitals were distrusted, Florence Nightingale became famous by making army hospitals actually safer than staying on the battlefield. During the recent H5N1 virus infection in UK it was fount that health service employees mainly administrators were spreading the infection within and between hospitals. I was in hospital for a week in 1971 in an "old school" hospital, the windows were always open during the day. In a modern UK hospital you cant open the windows.

Possibly the older die faster, while younger, fitter people hold out for a few more weeks.
Yes, but not all the young are fit, an 18 yr old with health issues died today in UK. Many young fit people recover, after weeks of intensive care. When the system runs out of intensive care beds then patients are triaged and choices made, those with the best chance of recovery are treated so even more old and sick people die. Due to patient confidentiality the UK health service dont give specifics on "underlying health issues" sometimes relatives do via the press.

Last edited:
Some of "the young" think they are fit when they aren't. The son of my wifes friend found out he had leukaemia when he signed his apprentice football contract and had a medical, on the beep tests he was at the top in the club (Middlesbrough) which was in the Premier League at the time. People with Leukaemia are vulnerable to CV19.

Yesterday 3/21 there were 118 positive COVID-19 in Arkansas today, one day later that has jumped to 165
Tested positive:

• 10 children
  • 62 adults aged 65 and older
  • 93 adults aged 19-64
19 patients are currently being hospitalized with 12 in the ICU, 6 of those patients are on a ventilator.
Gov. Hutchinson said the state received only 25% of the personal protective equipment (PPE), which includes gloves, masks, etc. it requested from the federal government.

"After we exhaust that supply, we are on our own."

Possibly the older die faster, while younger, fitter people hold out for a few more weeks.
That had not occurred to me. It may very well at least be a part of the reason for the flattening of the curve. It makes sense....... unfortunately.

It seems to be a consistent dynamic that for whatever reason as more data becomes available the age curve keeps flattening.
This was explained today my the health officer for UK, in the initial stages the first people to be affected and die are those who are old and sick already. As time passes those who are younger and or less sick stay longer in intensive care before they recover or dont. It is only a matter of weeks since European countries recorded the first deaths.

I saw a chart in an article a few hours ago that showed the percentage rate of increase acceleration has rolled over world wide. In other words it's still increasing but the curve in the parabola is becoming less steep. This is a very forward-looking and tricky statistic but often gives a glimpse into the future of trends. At least in economics( where I am familiar with it).
Perhaps a glimmer of hope that all these efforts will pay off shortly. .....lets hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread