Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same with my son in law and then when he eventually got a video consult with his doctor after having coughing fits for over a week it only took seconds before he had one of his coughing fits and they you got it and prescribed medication to reduce the cough. He is starting to recover but if he had been on the medication a week earlier would be much better. He has never had an elevated temperature.

I suggest the moment you get a cough get a video consult.

I did one earlier. They said to self-isolate for 7-14 days, and self-medicate unless I start getting trouble breathing.

Last edited:
The lockdowns/shutdown is a joke. The only essential places that should be open are grocery stores, hospitals and clinics, law enforcement, fire departments, and gas stations.
One of my family is on an island in Honduras. Martial law and they are not kidding. Curfew from 8pm to 6am but not allowed off property unless to shop or get medical. Only allowed to shop one day a week (set by ID/passport last digit). Shops only open three days a week. Smugglers have their boats sunk. Some idiot tourists who showed up on a yacht told leave NOW or we sink your boat and all its contents and slam you in the pokey. Funny thing is they got the message.

One of my family is on an island in Honduras. Martial law and they are not kidding. Curfew from 8pm to 6am but not allowed off property unless to shop or get medical. Only allowed to shop one day a week (set by ID/passport last digit). Shops only open three days a week. Smugglers have their boats sunk. Some idiot tourists who showed up on a yacht told leave NOW or we sink your boat and all its contents and slam you in the pokey. Funny thing is they got the message.

I'm honestly all about personal freedoms, but in the end, restricting them in the short term, might be the thing that saves lives over there. I think everyone can get through a lil short term inconvenience for the long term good.

Hey guys,

Some numbers that you might find interesting.

US hospital bed numbers over the last 55 years. The US decline in hospital beds began in the early-1980s with the advent of federal deregulation of the hospital/healthcare system.

Hospital Type________1975________1995_________2020
Community
non-profit__________3339________3092_________2937
for-profit____________775_________752_________1296
state/local_________1761________1350__________965
Federal____________1177________1071__________209
total hospitals*_____7052________6265_________5407
total beds*____1,460,000____1,017,000______924,107
total ICU beds**__86,500_______69,500_______97,955

Population___216,000,000__266,600,000__331,000,000

people/hospital___30,630_______42,554_______61,217
people/bed_________148__________262__________358
people/ICU bed____2,497________3,836________3,379
beds/1000 people____6.8__________3.8 __________2.8
*As far as I know these numbers do not include psychiatric hospitals or their associated beds.
**Overall, adult sized Intensive Care beds account for about 10% of the total number of beds, with the actual number of ICU beds per hospital ranging from 1 actual bed to 16%. This number is for ICU beds in non-Federal hospitals only.

Hospital bed numbers compared around the world. Data is from 2013-14.
Country______beds/1000
Australia__________3.8
Austria___________7.6
Belarus_________11.0
Belgium__________6.2
Canada__________2.7
Croatia___________5.6
China____________4.2
Cuba____________5.2
Czech Rep._______6.5
Estonia__________5.0
France___________6.5
Germany_________8.3
Hungary_________7.0
Italy_____________3.4
Japan__________13.4
Kazakhstan______6.7
North Korea____13.2
South Korea____11.5
New Zealand_____2.8
Norway__________3.9
Poland__________6.3
Russian Fed._____8.2
Slovak Rep.______5.8
Spain___________3.0
Sweden_________2.6
Switzerland______4.7
Ukraine_________ 8.8
United Kingdom__2.8
United States____2.9*
*Note that in 1975, during the Cold war, the US had 6.8 beds per 1000 people. Also note that nearly all the countries with a number of 5 or higher occupy the expected Hot War areas in a WWIII scenario.

Last edited:
They're morons, but so are all the people buying toilet paper by the ton (Wouldn't you go with rice, beans, peanut butter, jugs of distilled water, gatorade first? After all without food, you don't really need the toilet paper...)

If I'm getting beans in bulk I am also getting toilet paper in bulk.

Gatorade? Seriously?

Why distilled water? Why not just water? Or tap water, if your region has decent tap water, that is (so not including Flint MI).

Minnesota report, April 4
cases 865, recovered 440, hospitalized 180, deaths 24, tested 25,423*
fatality rate 2.8%
mortality rate 4.2 per million
tests rate 4.5 per thousand*
*Test kits are in short supply, and are currently being used only for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.

If I'm getting beans in bulk I am also getting toilet paper in bulk.
Yeah but without food, TP is irrelevent.
Gatorade? Seriously?
Yup, it is good for maintaining an electrolyte imbalance. You can dilute it about 1/2 with water to avoid a sugar rush.
Why distilled water? Why not just water?
They sell it at stores in gallon size, and if water was to fail, it'd be good to have about a gallon per person per day. The odds aren't high, as the water system works fine.

Hey guys,

Some numbers that you might find interesting.

US hospital bed numbers over the last 55 years.
Well, that's 48 years, but regardless, we have 63.3% the number of beds and 158% the people. Basically there are almost 2.5 times the number of people to beds.

Latest figures suggest New York State, despite having a population that's only one-third the size, is rapidly approaching the same number of infections as all of Italy. Of note, the rate of increase in Italy appears to be tapering off a little, whereas that in New York seems to be continuing unabated.

Latest figures suggest New York State, despite having a population that's only one-third the size, is rapidly approaching the same number of infections as all of Italy. Of note, the rate of increase in Italy appears to be tapering off a little, whereas that in New York seems to be continuing unabated.
It seems the areas/ cities where living space is cramped are the most affected.

It seems the areas/ cities where living space is cramped are the most affected.

Absolutely, Joe, but it's indicative of how rapidly this virus is communicated. Simple, mundane actions like pushing the button for the elevator or opening a communal door mean that apartment buildings can become hotbeds for infection.

There are early signs that the infection rates are lessening slightly in Europe. Hope the US can turn things around, too...and soon.

Italy report, 5 p.m. (CEST) today
cases 128,948, new 4,316, deaths 15,887, new 525, recovered 21,815, new 819, tests 691,461, new 34,237
fatality rate 12.3% (2nd day stable)
mortality rate 263 per million
test rate 11.5 per thousand
test rate today 568 per million

Temp now a 100.6. I will call and see if they will test now. None of the shortness of breath or cough yet. Just fever, headache, body aches and chills. I really just need to know because of the family. Its not like they will give me anything regardless.
I sincerely hope that it's not the virus.

I sincerely hope that it's not the virus.

Temp climbed to 101.1 last night, but dropped back down to the 100.4 range today. Still got the aches and shakes, and a lil scratchiness in the throat. Otherwise feeling ok. Very mild symptoms so far, whatever it may be (flu or corona) I hope it stays this way, and that I will be good by easter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back