Crimea River's Weekend Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This last week, I decided to squeeze in one last "summer hike" before the snow flies in the mountains. This time, accompanied by my daughter, we visited the Plain of Six Glaciers in Banff National Park. The weather forecast was iffy with mostly cloud and afternoon chance of rain with temperatures of 13 degrees C and 7 degrees higher up. We left the house at 6:30am for the two hour drive to Lake Louise in order to ensure that we got a parking spot at this extremely popular venue.

After gearing up, we hit the trail at 9am with the cloud tops hiding the peak of Mount Victoria at the end of the always-beautiful Lake Louise. The hike will take us around the north side of the lake (the right side of the below pic) and through the valley that you see at the end, then climbing some 450 meters pretty much straight to the cliff with the overhanging glacier in the centre of the picture.

20100801.jpg

Looking back toward the lake after starting the climb up the valley:

20100802.jpg

A shot of me from my best side on the way up. That's Mount Lefroy in the middle.

20100803.jpg

After about 7km of walking and a 335 meter height gain, we reach the Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse and have a nice cup of tea before pressing on. The teahouse was built in 1924. At this point, we started to get some drizzle.

20100804.jpg

After our tea break at 10:30am, we set out for a further 1.4 km hike and 120m climb toward the end of the trail. Looking back part way up, we see Lake Louise with the Chateau at the far east end. The teahouse that we left is located at the far left centre of the photo near the tiny white dot among the trees. The valley at centre and right was formed by glaciers and you can see the moraine on either side.

20100805.jpg

We've hit the end of the trail and had our picture taken for posterity by some fellow hikers . The pass with the visible glacier running up it is known as the "Death Trap" for good reasons. At the top of the pass in the saddle, you can just make out the tiny bump of Abbot Pass Hut.

20100806.jpg

Here's a panorama of the Plain of Six Glaciers. Lake Louise can once again be seen at the far left. Mount Lefroy is at centre and the cliff face of Mount Victoria forms the right fringe of the picture. All of the debris at the bottom of the valley is actually sitting on top of glacial ice, the melt water of which runs down to the lake.

20100807.jpg

We then headed back down to the teahouse, had our lunch and trekked back down to our vehicle in steady rain.

Thanks for your interest!

Thanks Terry. The staff work shifts and stay at the house. The indoors is all kitchen and sleeping quarters with no public seating. Supplies are hiked in or possibly on horseback - there as plenty of evidence of horses on the trail, if you know what I mean.

Yesterday, my friend Ian picked me up in his 2005 Aston Martin DB9 and we headed for a hike to Bourgeau Lake. The parking lot at the trailhead is just 10 minutes west of Banff, Alberta on the Trans Canada Highway. The weather was spectacular with a cloudless sky and temperatures in the low 20's C. The hike is 15km long round trip and it's a 725m elevation gain to the lake. We made it to the lake at exactly noon, had lunch and spent 2 hours there before heading back down. Herewith are a few pics of the highlights:

Ian and the ride:

210907Bourgeau01.jpg

Sawback Range to the east:

210907Bourgeau14.jpg

Yours truly at the waterfall half way up:
210907Bourgeau09.jpg

Smooth Blue Aster:

210907Bourgeau15.jpg

Steep switchback after the waterfall:

210907Bourgeau13.jpg

Black Brett Mountain on the plain just before the lake:

210907Bourgeau16.jpg