CSS Alabama (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, basic premise is the same - attack enemy's merchant shipping and avoid confrontation with enemy's warships.
Anyway, I was only making an assumption. Since I'm not an expert for history of naval warfare I don't know how ancient this tactic really is and can't claim anything without adequate knowledge of the subject in question.

I'm agreeing with you that one could be inspired by the other... I think it would be very cool to read that Ernst Lindemann (Captain of the Bismark) had a painting of the Alabama in his cabin.

Your assumption is valid... I think it would be fascinating to actually read that the Aalabama was studied in the Germany.

Last edited:
Alabama was plain and simple essentially a privateer, I believe, operating much like the privateers of all history. The French name is Guerre de Course, I think, and the US employed privateers to a great extent during the War of Independence but many other nations did also long before 1776. The Mexican War featured steam propelled ships, explosive shells, field artillery, war correspondents, use of anesthetics and some odius modern day(supposedly) antics by the media and politicians. After Taylor and Scott failed to conquer Mexico in 30 days or so and the butcher's bill grew, the anti war groups, principally in the Northeast began to natter. There were demonstrations and the news media sensationalised and exaggerated everything. The opposition party(the Whigs) decided to oppose the war for political purposes and tried to get President Polk to pull the troops out, no matter that every battle was a victory for the US. The war issue was a winner for the Whigs and they won a majority in Congress during the mid term elections. Of course, although the Whigs whined about getting the troops out, they voted for funds to continue the war,(to support the troops) Abraham Lincoln, a Whig congressman was one of the politicians who indulged in this chicanery. US Grant, although he did his duty, also opposed the war on the grounds that it was immoral. Shows how far seeing that Lincoln and Grant were. Incidently, Jame Polk was rated as one of the greatest presidents by Truman. I rate him high too, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Sys, stop being such a ***** and grow a set of balls, reporting that post of cosimso's was a waste of my time to read...

Christ, u need a tissue???

Ok, Comiso is a f**ktard

Just what is so special about this ship? Its steam powered and all it did was mostly prey on smaller unarmed sailing vessels. It wasn't built in the south, nor try to run the blockade. And the moment it runs into a union warship that could fight it on equal terms (more of less), it looses.

Big deal. The story of the confederate navy.

Last edited:
I understand your point of view, Syscom. However, the fact is that Alabama was not intended for straight fight with Union warships or braking the blockade but for commerce raiding and this is something in which she was successfull in my opinion. This success depended on avoiding the confrontation with strong Union Navy and when this became impossible that was end for Alabama.

It sounds somewhat familiar, doesn't it? World War Two? Admiral Graf Spee?

One of the most famous privateers was Sir Francis Drake.

His detractors thought he was a cowardly pirate, his backers thought he was an intrepid hero...
Commerce raiding was aimed at the economy of the opposing force just like strategic bombing. The nature of a commerce raider was to attack and sink merchant ships and run to fight another day...

The Alabama was built a few miles from where I live in Cammel Lairds(Birkenhead). Iwas crewed by local guys. Their is a street by Lairds that bears its name.

I can't verify this but I believe Laird didn't recieve his knighthood for building the Alabama.

On my personal note my uncle who owns "Aluminium Shipbuilders LTD" tried to buy the 2 large sheds on Cammel Lairds site inthe 80's.

Jane's High-Speed Marine Transportation

Google Translate

Last edited:
Cos, I've been on the "Olympia" many times. I'm amazed at the headroom - nil - and I'm just a tad under 6 feet!

We're lucky to have the Olympia around... It reminded me of Captain Nemo's Nautilus. With its brass and wooden fixtures, It has the stylishness of a sailing era ship. But with all the rivets and bolts, it has the utilitarian appeal of a bulldozer. Very cool.

Cool link to the Olympia Comiso! That would definitely be cool to see. I love the look of the armored sidewheelers of the Civil War period. Cool looking ships! I read a book years ago in Jr. High that the south built ironclads out of what ever they had available. IIRC, there was even a ironclad that's armor consisted of used railroad rails, but it's name escapes me right now, and I believe it was scuttled.

Njaco is the only other person I know that has been on her..

I never heard of the one with the railroad rails... that would be cool to learn more about.

I've also been on the USS Cairo.. in Vicksburg... talk about your ironclads!!!!
Vicksburg, MS : USS Cairo, a Civil War Ironclad that has been restored and is on display at the Vicksburg Military Park photo, picture, image (Mississippi) at city-data.com
Vicksburg National Military Park - USS Cairo Gunboat and Museum (U.S. National Park Service)

Attachments

• vfiles13644.jpg
    vfiles13644.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 88
And for the life of me I cannot remember her name, or how much action she saw if any, it may be she was scuttled as the shipyard she was built in was overran, I'll have to do some research. It has been 20 some years since I read that book!
An the interior pics from the USS Olympia are beautiful! The interior woodwork in incredible! that is how I would love the ship I was serving on to look!

Comis, I have been on Alabama(WW2 version) and I am amazed at how little space and headroom there is on that ship. I am 6 feet(used to be taller) and my head was in constant danger walking around. Also went on Grouper(sub) and the beds in the officer's quarters did not look long enough for me.

The Grouper...:thumbleft: Too bad she is scrapped.

I've been on at least 3 subs and the idea of "hot bunking" repulses me.

Can you imagine running to Battle Stations with such little head room?

Have you been on the Constitution?... now she has tiny accommodations.

I've seen the Alabama many times but i kick myself for not going on her. I'd like to compare her to the Missouri and NJ which I visited in Cali.

Benn out to Patriots Point. Several ships out there, including Yorktown.

WOW... I'd love to see the Yorktown.

I've been on the carriers Midway and Intrepid but the Yorktown would be special...

i think there should be a Hornet, Yorktown and Lexington in todays battle fleet.

We stayed two or three nights on board the Yorktown. We basically had the run of the ship. We explored all over the ship. It was a odd feeling, the red lights were left on in the barracks, you could almost feel the history around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back