CSS Alabama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As much as a ship nut I am, I had no idea beyond the CSS Hunley there were Civil War ships on display. Thanks for all the info!

As much as a ship nut I am, I had no idea beyond the CSS Hunley there were Civil War ships on display. Thanks for all the info!

It probably deserves it's own maritime museum thread but info on the Alabama is pretty limited.

I didnt know about the Yorktown... I'd love to do that!

The Yorktown offers overnight stays available to scout troops. A lot of the retired ships now serving as museums offer over night stays for scout troops. When my son gets old enough, I may volunteer with his scout troop and set up a trip to go back and stay. Definitely something I will remember the rest of my life.

I have not been on Constitution. That and Gettysburg are on my list before I go. Hope I make them. I did go on an old whaler at Mystic Conn. one time. She was around 100 feet long and it was hard to imagine going to sea in her for months at a time.

I have not been on Constitution. That and Gettysburg are on my list before I go. Hope I make them. I did go on an old whaler at Mystic Conn. one time. She was around 100 feet long and it was hard to imagine going to sea in her for months at a time.

I've been to Mystic also... I saw the Nautilus but coulnt go on her.

Gettysburg was a profound experience but there are so many state monuments and statues that it feels like a theme park... each state tried to build the biggest monument. I went there when I was 12 yrs old and I still remember that the restaurant had great apple pie ala mode

Vicksburg was very interesting.. you can still see all the trenches and of course, the USS Cairo is freakin awesome.

Last edited:
There was a episode of Voyages on the History channel last night about the Ironclads. I dvr'd it, and watched a little over my lunch hour. It has had some very good info in it so far.

I find it interesting that the Confederates were much more innovative concerning warfare on the sea.

The Hunnley and Merrimack were technological breakthroughs.The Alabama may have not been a innovation but her deployment and tactics were the product of forward thinking. Much like the Germans tried to use wonder weapons to offset numerical deficiencies, the South spent energy on innovation to try and close the gap.

(True, the Monitor her turret and low profile could be considered a greater leap in tech but the Merrimack was first!)

Just to be a bit picky (it's Bf-109 not Me-109), there never was a battle between the USS Merimack and the USS Monitor, nor was there a battle between the CSS Merimack (which never existed) and the USS Monitor. There was a battle between the CSS Virginia and USS Monitor.

Also, speaking of technology, the USS Cairo was sunk by another new technology, the first sinking of a warship by an electrically detonated mine.

If you've seen the Alabama many several times, you must have passed through (by) my hometown of Pensacola. Where do you live in Florida?

I have been on the Alabama and have also been fortunate enough to have had a personal tour of the USS New Jersey here in Long Beach when it was being recomissioned. All are an impressive bit of metal. I was really impressed by how low in the water the NJ was compared to a helicopter carrier parked next to it. One walked right onto the deck from the dock.

Just to be a bit picky (it's Bf-109 not Me-109), there never was a battle between the USS Merimack and the USS Monitor, nor was there a battle between the CSS Merimack (which never existed) and the USS Monitor. There was a battle between the CSS Virginia and USS Monitor.

Also, speaking of technology, the USS Cairo was sunk by another new technology, the first sinking of a warship by an electrically detonated mine.

If you've seen the Alabama many several times, you must have passed through (by) my hometown of Pensacola. Where do you live in Florida?

I have been on the Alabama and have also been fortunate enough to have had a personal tour of the USS New Jersey here in Long Beach when it was being recomissioned. All are an impressive bit of metal. I was really impressed by how low in the water the NJ was compared to a helicopter carrier parked next to it. One walked right onto the deck from the dock.

>>(it's Bf-109 not Me-109)
Yes.. it's a bad habit of mine and i cringe when i read others doing it!

Good point about the Cairo and the mine. I failed to mention that.

>>There was a battle between the CSS Virginia and USS Monitor.
Yeah... I know, I was just too lazy to explain it so i used the colloquial reference. it's certainly worth mentioning.

>>Where do you live in Florida?
I was stationed in Biloxi and i used to drive though Mobile on the way to to FLA for fun and scuba . I've visited an old star shaped fort and naval air museum in Pensacola. .. I stopped in mobile a few times (CSS Alabama museum). Now i live in Sarasota.

I grew up in long beach and there I walked on the Missouri and New Jersey. I was impressed with the slope of the bow and the teak wood deck. I lived in LB until i was 21.

have you been on the Russian "boomer" next to the queen mary? thats worth a visit

>>(it's Bf-109 not Me-109)

>>Where do you live in Florida?
I was stationed in Biloxi and i used to drive though Mobile on the way to to FLA for fun and scuba . I've visited an old star shaped fort and naval air museum in Pensacola. .. I stopped in mobile a few times (CSS Alabama museum). Now i live in Sarasota.

You probably visited Fort Barrancas. Fort Pickens, across the bay was the only other main southern fort that was not turned over to the South along with Sumpter. Fort Pickens was never captured by the South, thus neutralizing Pensacola as a port. There is some argument by the Ft. Pickens fans that the first shots of the civil war was fired there.

have you been on the Russian "boomer" next to the queen mary? thats worth a visit

Russian boomer besides the Queen Mary. I am not sure I even knew that. A few years back, an old Russian sub did come through on the way to Australia, I think. I did see that. I will have to look into the boomer, thanks. I live in Carson, right by Long Beach.

A little note of interest, when my wife was young, she rode with her mother to England on the Queen Mary and returned on the Queen Elizabeth, or vice versa.

Russian boomer besides the Queen Mary. I am not sure I even knew that. A few years back, an old Russian sub did come through on the way to Australia, I think. I did see that. I will have to look into the boomer, thanks. I live in Carson, right by Long Beach.

A little note of interest, when my wife was young, she rode with her mother to England on the Queen Mary and returned on the Queen Elizabeth, or vice versa.

I guess it wasnt a boomer... my memory failed me

Russian Sub:
Very cool!
Home

Queen Mary is very cool too although their 'haunted tour" is shameful... it capitalizes on dead service men.

Not to be picky Dav, but the proper name for the unplesantness in 1861-65 is the War Between the States or alternatively the War of Northern Aggression, not Civil War. Since you are from the South(Southern California) I would expect you to know that. LOL

Not to be picky Dav, but the proper name for the unplesantness in 1861-65 is the War Between the States or alternatively the War of Northern Aggression, not Civil War. Since you are from the South(Southern California) I would expect you to know that. LOL

Delayed responce. Laziness. Easier to type Civil War!:D

The New Jersey is docked only about 10 miles from me in beautiful, seaside Camden. If ya visit, make sure you're packing heat! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back