Diorama Techniques: Planes, Armor, Ships, Artillery and Troops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
This thread is reserved to the discussion of how to best build the bases for a good diarama.

This is NOT the thread to discuss the subject model, but rather to discuss any of the following:

* How to build a diarama base

* How to build suitable terrain or tarmac (e.g., 800 grit sandpaper for asphalt, plaster of paris for landscaping, silicone caulking for ocean effects, etc)

* Best use of scale flora (e.g., grass, trees, shrubbery, etc.)

* How to build appropriate landscape to not remove focus upon the subject model

* What diarama dimensions are appropriate for scale and suitable for your subject display.

* What materials are available and where they might be located.

* What supplementary kits might be available to assist your build

* Techniques for scratch building diarama equipment.

* Where to locate/develope diarama figures.

* How to make placards, identification cards, dust covers, etc.

* Lessons learned in use of materials, techniques, painting, etc.

Submittal of diarama subjects to discussion of how they were developed are highly encouraged. The more pics the better to help educate the masses.

I built one a couple years back, and I used a piece of wood as the base, crumpled paper, placed it on in random spots, put over some of that train grass stuff, and it made hills! Then I bought that fake snow Christmas stuff, and sprayed that on as well, then I proceeded to place my models, but also putting footprints and track trails on to make it seem like they had just moved there.

I want to build one I have taken almost a year to build the vehicles,artillery,and soldiers ready......I don't know how to build one I want to make a battle scene

You are going to have think of what you would like to depict. And from that prioritize what you think you can do. As a kid, I made many diaramas using Plaster of Paris (found in any craft shop). Cut a base of wood, drive some nails with heads into it to give the Plaster of Paris some grip. Wet shape. Dry shape (knife, sandpaper, etc). And begin to build your scene. You can actually do pretty good with paints, moss, and other debris from your yard. But you can get REALLY realistic with purchases from your local Train Hobby Shop.

I was so proud of myself as a kid when I realized the 1000 grit sandpaper looks just like asphalt or concrete. You can do all kinds of stuff with it.

Don't forget buildings and other civilian tools, equipment, etc. are also available for the train builder. I suggest you take advantage of them. Sometime just a single item like a wheelbarrow, barrels or stacked lumber can make a diarama go from okay to excellent.

And if you build anything, you must post. Or you will suffer my wrath. :lol:

I will definetly post pictures. Currently I am on vacation so I cannot do so. I would like to depict a scene in WWII of a skirmish in an open field just because I am a beginner. I really apreciate your help in advance

AHhhhhhhH!!!!! Ok on the 27th I will start taking pictures but, on September fourth my school starts so I may not be around but I will do my best to take pictures.

Hi fellas, I've been building a dio for the last 3-4 months with vehicles, I have given my aircraft builds a rest for a while. It's my 1st proper dio, so i've been learning as I've been going along. There might be some ideas here you can use for your dio B-17. :)

I wanted to build a convoy of DAK vehicles on a mountain road. I spent the 1st 2 months building the vehicles, various makes all 1/72.

all.jpg

I then went onto the diorama base, I used some wood I had in the shed to build the basic shape, glued and screwed together.

BASE1.gif

I then used some expanding foam to fill in the gaps, it comes in an aerosol can, you spray it on, let it expand and cure, then you can cut it to whatever shape you want to create your landscape. It should be available in your local hardware store and its not very expensive.

bostik1.jpg

If using it wear gloves!! And overalls, its VERY sticky when its wet!! If you can get some acetone, this cleans it up easily enough if you have an accident. Also it cleans out the spray tube and cap when your finished with it.

Sprayed on the base, left to cure, then cut away.

BASE3.gif

I then plastered smashed up peat to create rock faces, when it was dry, I plastered the gaps, I just used some cheap wall filling plaster you mix with water for this. I then painted it with a pale emulsion paint I had in the shed. Then painted the road grey and the rocky mountain sides a yellowy red colour, I just used water colours for this.

base6.jpg

I painted some diluted pvc glue onto the road in the middle and the edges and covered the whole thing in sieved turf ash.

base7.jpg

Left it overnight and the blew ashes off it, it left sandy bits in the middle and edge of the road and in cracks of the rockfaces. I smashed up some gravel with a hammer to make small rocks which were thrown onto the dio and spread around with a dry brush, the dust produced from smashing the gravel was also added. mossy bits from my trees in the garden were glued in place too. Hopefully they'll turn yellow over time.

Here's a couple of pics with some vehicles in place.

DIO1.gif

DIO2.gif

I have since widened the bend as it was too narrow and removed some of the vehicles as it was too crowded, I still have the figures and equipment to paint and add to the vehicles.

I hope this gives some of you guys some ideas for your dioramas, I couldn't belive most of the stuff used in this was lying about the house and in the shed! It has only cost me about €15! :happy3:

just finished a diorama in 1/32nd scale, almost finished one in 1/48th scale, so that I can use them as subjects for paintings. First one is a P51D of 364th FG, Honnington, August '44, with ground crew, scratch-built starter trolley and other kit. Other one is P51B, 361st. FG, Bottisham, May '44, with ground crew, pilot, scratch starter trolley etc. Both aircraft in 'natural metal', bases are MDF with card, painted and textured, for concrete tarmac, static grass etc. Can't post pics until other 'stupid' computer behaving, but will asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back