Dirk's 1/72 Revell Vickers Wellington

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
This was my selection for the Commonwealth build but since I'm getting a real late start I figured I'll just post it over here.

Well here is the kit and I've already got an issue. I've never had problems so soon after opening the box :cry:

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Can you guess what my problem is already? Hint, its not in the photos...

I've been researching this aircraft on and off since the decision was made that this was going to be the subject of the GB. I've had the kit for a several weeks now and I still have no clue where I plan on going with this one. My guess is it will be pretty much an oob build with some slight modifications. I'm driving blind on this one fellas :rolleyes:

If you were to say no instructions you would be correct.:|

charlie-brown.jpg

Some extra bits for the interior that won't ever be seen again. :oops: I have no clue how much of this will actually be used. As usual I'll see what happens as I move forward.

IMG_1677.jpg

Some Evergreen bits will also help bring the interior together.

IMG_1678.jpg

Just a little something to help get the creative juices flowing. :cool:

IMG_1681.jpg

I started by building the pilots bulkhead

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

Time to take a break to put the little ones to bed

IMG_1684.jpg

Back to business. I need some more creative influence. Especially since its time to work with some PE.

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

This is going to be the pilots floor

IMG_1696.jpg

Revells seat

IMG_1698.jpg

Added a pad to the back of the seat. drilled a hole for the seat belts (to be added later) along with braces and arm rest

IMG_1699.jpg

Floor attached to the bulkhead and a new base built for the seat

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

Time for a little surgery. Nothing major but the place where the kits pilot seats are to mount have to go. Its drummel time :razz:

DoctorBefore.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

That wasn't so bad

DoctorAfter.jpg

Adding some PE

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

Revell didn't see fit to include an instrument panel so I had to make one from some trusty Evergreen

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

Installed the interior bracing for the nose section

IMG_1710.jpg

Why didn't Edward include PE for the left side of the Fuselage nose section? :cry: Oh well its not like it will ever be seen anyway so pressing on with pride.

IMG_1712.gif

IMG_1712.jpg

Adding some interior paint. The nose and tail sections are going to be black and the center section was painted a red (ish) color to mimic the material used to seal the fabric .

IMG_1713.jpg

Not bad for two nights work

Till next time, thanks for looking.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Great start Dirk. Shame to hide away all that PE. Maybe you could arrange an open hatch or something.

Seeing as I got such a late start on this one I don't thank that'll happen. 11 days and ticking... :oops:

Catch22 said:
Looks good Dirk, and nice to see you drink Canadian!

Canadian beer mixes well with the Canadian blood flowing through my veins 8)

Okay. Let's get this frickin straight in order of priority.

1) Those girls are utterly precious. Knowing that your DNA didn't factor into their utter cuteness, I question your provenance. :)

2) The beer looks out of scale. Too small for the job.

3) What a great start man!!

Okay. Let's get this frickin straight in order of priority.

1) Those girls are utterly precious. Knowing that your DNA didn't factor into their utter cuteness, I question your provenance. :)

2) The beer looks out of scale. Too small for the job.

3) What a great start man!!

Thanks for the kind words but lets get THIS frickin straight, the one with the crazy hair is the girl the other with the long blond is all boy. :evil: the chicks dig the hair! :p

Thanks for the kind words Matt.

Tick toc the clock is ticking....

Wow! I thought I was a fast builder,just awesome stuff Dirk!:shock::D
Only Canadian beer I have ever had was Moosehead (think that was it;s name).It was pretty good too.:)
Cheers,
Tony.

Great start Dirk. Surprised this ex-Matchbox kit didn't have an instrument panel - strange. As for the instruction sheet, a note to Revell should get you one.

I spent the last few days working on the wings

IMG_1715.jpg

Revels wing nav lights were the first thing to improve

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

I'm going to use the scrap clear spree from my Russian Kobra project to form the nav light covers

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

Just a little more shaping with a file and it'll be done

IMG_1724.jpg

Next I moved onto the landing lights. If I had thought of it a head of time I would have built these in the extended position but I didn't so I'm just going to drill them out and use some Micro Krystal Klear to make some lenses.

643_0.jpg

Before

IMG_1725.jpg

After

IMG_1726.jpg

I won't be making the lenses until after the paint is applied. This stuff doesn't mask very well.

love your project Dirk,as a new person to this kind of modeling where do you get all these preformed bags of parts from,up until now i have never seen plastic card or detailing kits available

Looking Good Dirk :thumbright:
..... I should have gone with my instincts and added it to the Commonwealth GB thread. I think I might be able to get this done by the deadline. :rolleyes:
If you edit the first post changing the title and explaining the particular aircraft a little, maybe a moderator can move the thread into the Group Build section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back