Dirk's 1/72 Revell Vickers Wellington

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys for the kind works

Ok it's time to get back to work on the Wellington. It's time to get ready for some paint.

Here the rest of the wing is assembled

IMG_1859.jpg

Primed the aircraft using white primer. What this means is this will be a lot easier to cover with the final cote of white. ;) The final cote of white was applied after the primer was dried. One cote was all that was needed.

IMG_1887.jpg

You can see the difference between the white paint and the primer in the above photo

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

Masking has commenced

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Applying the first color of the camo. Dark Earth

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looking good Dirk. Too bad about the windscreen but I know you'll make it good. Musta have been a pain filling those seams with all that ribbing detail.

Good stuff Dirk. That windscreen gap should fill with KK. Is this going to be a white and cammo Coastal Command aircraft? If so, I don't remember Dark Earth - normally Green/Grey or Green/Slate.

Good stuff Dirk. That windscreen gap should fill with KK. Is this going to be a white and cammo Coastal Command aircraft? If so, I don't remember Dark Earth - normally Green/Grey or Green/Slate.

Yeah, about that.... :evil: I am building this as part of a gb on another site. When the kit came it didn't have any instructions but someone was nice enough to post them for me. The problem came the other night when I couldn't read the paint codes. I asked for help and the answer I got was Dark Earth and Dark Green. Even though I asked for spicific paint codes I think they were thrown off by the front turret.

This morning after seeing the pictures they made the same comments as you. :evil: Now I'm going to have to cover the DE with gray. I'm just afraid to have a lip of paint after I remove the masks. I was originally going to let it go but after thinking about it I can't. It's going to get repainted tonight....

As always Terry thanks for the info 8)

Shame about that Dirk. Should have come to "The Source" at the start. You can sand down the lip to feather the edge before applying the gray and there should be a problem.

Extra profiles are always welcome

As for the comment that I should have come here to ask: I thought about it as I've never been steered wrong yet but the reason I didn't was that the GB is a single kit GB. We are all doing the same Revell/ Matchbox kit and are working from the same directions. Oh well no big deal, by the end of tonight I should be back on track.

Last edited:
Nice work Dirk. I had a couple of Coastal Command profiles.

Attachments

• 6bd4b4254bbe3580b1b907aaf1c82b03.jpg
    6bd4b4254bbe3580b1b907aaf1c82b03.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,061
  • 801a774853f8dee166c18acd6f590a8a.jpg
    801a774853f8dee166c18acd6f590a8a.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 303
Great stuff Glenn, better than I could have found. Mine are in black and white, and show the GR.VIII. Just found out that, during the re-paint of Bomber Command to Coastal aircraft, some, for a very short period, retained the Dark earth portion, before the grey was added!

Great stuff guys, thanks.

Terry, where did you find that information about retaining the Dark Earth color???

After a brief stop at the paint booth, a little RAF Dark Sea Gray and we are back on track. :razz:

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

Spotted it in a photo caption, but not sure how accurate the statement is. I'll check it out and let you know, as I don't know of any C.C. aircraft with that scheme as a long term finish. Bear in mind it was a squadron transferred from bomber Command to C.C., so could just have been the transition of painting when the photo was taken.

Here it is. This is a page from the Squadron Signal 'Wellington in Action'. Personally, I'm not sure that the upper surfaces are Green/Brown, but the white makes it difficult to asses the tones. If it was Green/Brown, then it would have been re-painted at some time.
The windows are there too, although they appear to have internal blinds or similar - the geodetic framework is just visible.

Attachments

• Wellington page..pdf
    487.5 KB · Views: 178
Found another one, this time a GR. VIII. This photo appeared in a 1989 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling, and the caption states that the upper surfaces are Dark Green and Dark Earth, with the codes, WN, painted out. However, the profile of the aircraft, in the same article in the same issue, states upper surfaces are Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey, with Dk.Slate grey codes, individual letter black!
I tend to agree with this, as the tones in the photo don't match Green/Brown, the codes are visible, and why paint the fin and rudder, from Black, if not re-painting the whole upper surfaces?!

Attachments

• Can Jan 429.jpg
    Can Jan 429.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 67
The last few nights have been spent masking and painting.

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

While that was drying I hit the prop shop

IMG_1903.jpg

Unveiling the Wellington

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

The remains of hours and hours of masking

IMG_1911.jpg

Next I have some odds and ends bits that need to be painted. For one the scoops for the bottom of the engine nacelles are so small I had to drill out the bottoms with a pin vice and then stick them on a tooth pick.

IMG_1912.jpg

How Vlad the impaler of me.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back