Dirk's 1/72 Revell Vickers Wellington

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the kind words guys

Not much progress the last few nights.... :oops:

Here are the parts for the rear turret

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

I need to take a little sand paper to the gun tips. Depending on my ambition level when the time comes I may drill out the barrels. I also have PE for the barrels but have not figured out how to roll them.

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

Having to install the turret now is going to make painting later difficult :evil:

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

Nose turret

IMG_1744.jpg

Thanks for looking

I got a nice little package in the mail (post for you Europeans:ha: ) today from Squadron. Vaccu-form canopy. This is good and this is bad. Why you might ask? Well the cool part is when I ordered it I was under the impression that it was just the canopy. Well I opened the box and found that it also came with the front and rear turrets.:mrgreen: I didn't expect that. Well the bad part is I assembled the turrets just the other day. :cry: No big deal as I have an Airfix Mk III Wellington in the stash. They could go to that build someday. ;)

IMG_1745.jpg

If this is any indication of what all Revell kits are like then sign me up as a HUGE fan. What'm talking about is after joining the fuselage halves together the only filler I need is here in the photo below and a tiny bit under the rear turret. I dry fit the wings and nothing will be needed there. The only thing I will have to do is run som medium and then some fine grade sand paper down the seams to tone them down a bit. Other then that nothing. THIS ROCKS!!!!!

IMG_1746.jpg

I decided it was time to tackle the engine cowlings. The way Revell packaged these is ugly! No matter how much care you take cutting the spree you get these ugly stress marks on the plastic. (Blue Arrows)

IMG_1754.jpg

Not to mention these gaffs on the back side

IMG_1747.jpg

Another shot of ugly. The red shows the left over plastic left behind and the blue arrows show the stressed plastic.

IMG_1748.jpg

After carefully removing the excess plastic with a knife I smoothed out the area with some sand paper wrapped around a pen. The fit was just right ;)

IMG_1751.jpg

Next I sanded down the cowl flaps.

IMG_1753.jpg

Then with a razor saw and some sand paper I cut out each individual cowl flap.

IMG_1752.jpg

Much better ;)

IMG_1755.jpg

Well that's about all i have for tonight. Thanks for looking.

PS, a while back, I think it was the start of the POW Spitfire project. I had cleaned off my bench as I do at the end of all projects to make room for the next. Well a bunch of you (you know who you are ) commented on how demented I was for having such a clean bench. Well to prove to you how false those accusations were here is my bench today.

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

NOW TAKE BACK WHAT YOU SAID!!!!! :rofl:

Interior looks great, engine cowling looks great but MG's ... can You change them? They are simply to fat.To separate turret put it in plastic bag,then in freezer and voila.

Interior looks great, engine cowling looks great but MG's ... can You change them? They are simply to fat.To separate turret put it in plastic bag,then in freezer and voila.

Are you taliking about the turrets or the gun barrels? I have PE replacement barrels that I can use but to be quite honest with you I haven't got a clue how to roll them. :oops:

The assembling of the nose section

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

Some filler will be needed

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

Rear turret masked

IMG_1761.jpg

Front turret masked. The spot in the front was not missed. I repeatedly tried to mask this area but couldn't get it right so I used Magic Liquid Mask. Hopefully it works

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

Here is the canopy. I'm very upset about this. [Blue arrows]You can see I had some issues with cutting it to size. I'm hoping that later on I'll be able to fill the gaps with some Micro Crystal Klear. If not I'll have to pull out the original canopy.

[Orange Arrows]Again the clear spots on the front of the canopy were coated with Magic Mask. I hope it works...

IMG_1765-1.jpg

Thanks for looking at my work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back