Do You Remember Your First?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I remember mine. My dad bought it for me right after we moved into our new home back in 1966. This s the model that hooked me into the hobby.

I think I picked this model out because of my fascination with the TV show "The Rat Patrol".

I also remember disposing of this model around 1975 with my then new BB gun, and I would play anti-tank gun and take pot shots at it till it was shattered.

So what were yours? Hopefully some of you members that came of age in the 50's and early 60's can remember yours.

I recently bought this kit (original model) and was considering building it again. But now I will just put the box on a shelf where I can look at it from time to time.

Attachments

• Monogram Half-Track 1966 1-48.jpg
    Monogram Half-Track 1966 1-48.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 160
I started with cars and trucks. I think mine was a 1940 Ford pickup that eventually ended up on a slot car chassis. It finally was destroyed in a corner at Hanks Beloit Raceway up on highway 100 in Milwaukee when I gave it too much into the corner. Pieces went everywhere. It was cool! 8)

I remember my Dad giving me a couple car models, but my first military models were of a F2H2 Banshee and a F9F Panther given me by my Uncle Bill. Those were his favorite aircraft amongst the many he had flown. The Banshee was a Hawk model kit, btw.

I'm pretty sure this was about 1967, since we had just moved into our new house, too.

As a 1/72nd modeler exclusively now, I'm ashamed to admit that my first was my dad bought the !/32nd Revell P-40B Flying Tiger in about 1972? maybe. I recall we glued it together and put the decals on the grey plastic.

I've been fascinated ever since. But why 1/72nd now? How the hell can you combine your Matchbox and HotWheels cars with any other common scale than 1/72nd.

If you can't play with your models, they aren't worth building. That's what I say.

Attachments

• bambambambambambambambambambam_327.gif
    bambambambambambambambambambam_327.gif
    186.6 KB · Views: 137
As a 1/72nd modeler exclusively now, I'm ashamed to admit that my first was my dad bought the !/32nd Revell P-40B Flying Tiger in about 1972? maybe. I recall we glued it together and put the decals on the grey plastic.

I've been fascinated ever since. But why 1/72nd now? How the hell can you combine your Matchbox and HotWheels cars with any other common scale than 1/72nd.

If you can't play with your models, they aren't worth building. That's what I say.

LOL Matt...for years I stuck to 1/48 scale because it matched my S gauge American Flyer train set...

I think I was 9 or so when I got a 1/100 scale Flying Fortress from another kid in a trade. The markings were molded into the plastic...

Later I would buy 1/144 scale jet fighters. The Voodoo was my favorite, because we used to see them flying around once in a while.

My first serious modelling project was a very nice Apollo LM that I got for 10 cents from an ad in a comic book. It came with a space flight book that you ordered stickers for. Anyone remember that? Anyway the lander was great-folding legs and everything !

As for kids playing with models, I know all about...I had built a serious collection of model planes as a teen-ager, which were denied my two younger brothers on the pain of death. After I left home to go to school, they wrecked them all, incl my prized 1/72 XB-70!

JL

the earliest kit i remember building was an F4 phantom 1/72, dont remember who made the kit, must of been about 1978/79, painted it in vietnam colours brown and green cammo and white or pale grey under sides

I think mine was an Airfix 1/72nd scale Lysander, back in (about) 1961, when I was nine. It was the original kit, with the pilot moulded into the halves of the fuselage. This was swiftly followed by the Airfix Spitfire MkIX, when I started to learn about modelling from my older brother. I'm still learning.....

My first kit was Monograms 1/24 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air, built with my dad back in '76-'77. It was followed by Matchbox 1/32 Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless, which was followed by my first tank, the Tamiyas 1/35 M5A1 Stuart....
They were followed by Airfix Lancasters and Stirlings and Matchboxes Halifaxes....

Attachments

• monogram57belair.jpg
    monogram57belair.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Matchbox SBD-5 Dauntless.jpg
    Matchbox SBD-5 Dauntless.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Tamiya US M5A1 Stuart.jpg
    Tamiya US M5A1 Stuart.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 120
man.....it's tooooo far back to remember my first....but one thing sticks in my mind...there is a pic of me holding a 1/72 B-29...I think, in a photo collage at my mums place....will have to go and check on the weekend now....

The lunar lander reminded me of the Aurora kits of the Monsters of the movies, I never had any, but a few of my friends did!

Anyone remember those? :)

Yes, I remember them very well. I know they have been reissued recently by the company that bought the molds from Aurora. I think their name is "Mobius".

My first model was balsa wood and tissue model of a SPAD. I spent hours trying to put the tissue on then coating it with dope..it also had a rubber band motor. I was very pleased when I got a Aurora model of the F80 in the late 50's...I must of use two tube of glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back